New Trend in Violent Juvenile Crime

This is a discussion on New Trend in Violent Juvenile Crime within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ExSoldier: After reading this consider what you're going to do if you are presented with a roving band of angry and violent juveniles? Especially consider ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Trend in Violent Juvenile Crime

Exclamation New Trend in Violent Juvenile Crime

ExSoldier: After reading this consider what you're going to do if you are presented with a roving band of angry and violent juveniles? Especially consider how you going to react if they're NOT armed? Remember the rule of thumb remains "Parity of Force" in many jurisdictions. But numbers also multiply the threat of death or serious bodily injury which is one of the preconditions for use of deadly force.

Attacks by Teen Groups Rising in D.C. and Nation
    By Theola Labbé-DeBose
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, October 13, 2008; B01

D.C. police say they are seeing a growing number of teenagers and young adults traveling in groups to assault and rob unsuspecting citizens, a trend that mirrors crimes in cities across the country.

In an eight-hour period last week, five people were attacked by juveniles in separate incidents, including an armed carjacking, in the Southwest waterfront neighborhood. And in the past month, there have been between seven and 11 "pack robberies" in or near Adams Morgan in Northwest Washington, Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said.

Similar attacks have occurred in the Brookland area of Northeast and Chinatown. Police said the crimes are not necessarily related but are part of an increase that has led to heightened enforcement.

"They're looking for someone who has a cellphone or someone using an iPod. Or they're just looking for some fast cash or a credit card," Lanier said Friday at a news conference in Adams Morgan, where she announced that there will be more patrols there. "You'll have a lone person walking, and there are five young males or more, and it's ridiculous. There's no need to beat people in those circumstances, but that's what they do. Just senseless."

The attacks in Southwest unfolded between 5 p.m. Monday and 1 a.m. Tuesday. The trouble began when five teenagers on bicycles attacked a man from behind, pushed him to the ground, hit him in the face and stomach, and fled. Police said they think that the attackers were between 16 and 18 years old.

A 52-year-old lawyer suffered serious head trauma after four to six teenagers beat him in the 1000 block of Sixth Street SW about 9 p.m. Monday. Later Monday, also in Southwest, two teenagers stuck a gun in a man's face, slapped him and demanded his belongings, police said. After the victim said he didn't have anything, the teenagers fled, police said.

In another incident, a man was hit in the head from behind with a brick. And three youths confronted a Southwest resident early Tuesday in the 200 block of I Street SW, surprising him after he parked his car at an apartment building. After forcing a gun to his head, the youths stole $20 and his car and led a U.S. Capitol Police official on a chase until they crashed the car, authorities said. Canine units eventually forced Raymond Sturgis, 17, of the 200 block of K Street SW out of hiding, and he has been charged as an adult.

Irv Gamza, 83, who has lived in Southwest for more than four decades, said crimes committed by teenagers have become more serious in the past several years. "First they just annoy or harass people. Then they start getting physical. And then they rob," Gamza said.

Gamza, who is a member of the police Citizens' Advisory Council, said that if anyone in the neighborhood claims not to be afraid of groups of roaming juveniles, they "are just lying to themselves."

"Right now, the major concern of residents is that people are putting guns to their faces when they're coming home from work or dinner," he said.

Staff writers Paul Duggan and Martin Weil contributed to this report.

This post is an EXCERPT of the original article but is unchanged beyond length.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

I've got to get used to carrying more spare mags. I realize my weak points more and more as the days go by.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    This kind of stuff is sweeping our nation and they get bolder with each encounter.........its time to
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    It's DC. They know their victim will not be armed.

Avoid DC when possible.

Yeap, I'd run home and assemble my SD piece and ....

I'd move from DC.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Group robberies, eh...could lead to groups of victims. A gang is a disparity of force for sure...I'm not playing around...leave me alone.

As the group gets larger the mentality drops...

Stay armed...it may take an extra mag...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Group robberies, eh...could lead to groups of victims. A gang is a disparity of force for sure...I'm not playing around...leave me alone.

As the group gets larger the mentality drops...

Stay armed...it may take an extra mag...stay safe!
    Try that in DC and you will probably spend the rest of your life in prison.

I've been to Adams Morgan, and its a fun place to go, but I'm usually traveling with a large group of people.

Walking around anywhere in DC alone at night is probably a bad idea to begin with.

Another prime example of today's youth of America..

For our future generation's sake I suggest we all work on our foot-to-ass coordination with the teenager(s) in our life.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

I just returned from a week in VA with two days spend in DC. Man, to be there and be unarmed was not a friendly thing. Only once did we venture away from the tourist areas. Always had the Spyderco, but no Smith. Left before dark.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Try that in DC and you will probably spend the rest of your life in prison.
    Wouldn't go to D.C. even if I won an all expenses paid trip...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sign of the times, the cancer is spreading, break down of the family is bearing fruit. Extra mags will help with the pickings.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

It's too bad that Police Chief C. Lanier and the mayor aren't listed among the victims being attacked. It would seem like justice to me for the putz's to be on the receiving end of these gangs when they are forcing the citizens of D.C. to live unarmed and in fear of crime.
    Geez, George and Thomas would be pisssed if they knew what was going on in our country.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Not JUST DC

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    D.C. police say they are seeing a growing number of teenagers and young adults traveling in groups to assault and rob unsuspecting citizens, a trend that mirrors crimes in cities across the country.
    So the root article was about DC but the topic sentence seems to indicate the issue is growing into a nationwide problem and might just visit a town near you someday soon. I think it best to consider a "what if" scenario before the real thing "considers" me. You don't have to get anywhere near DC, things like this have a habit of coming home, no matter where "home" really is located.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

well,I am a 65 year old man and I know I can't whip anyone any more not to mention 5 but I am still strong enough to pull the trigger at least 5 times.I don't plan on giving in to young punks.The army taught me a valuble trade a long time ago and if I have to I can use it again.sj

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links