Defensive Carry banner

Situation I faced about 2 years ago

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  walvord 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This was before I was 21 so I couldn't get a concealed carry license.

My girlfriend at the time lived on a not so nice street (not gangland by any means, but some lousy people). I'm on my way to her house one day when she calls saying two people in a car are shooting heroin in front of her house. So I tell her to call the police and I can't remember if she did or not, but I waited around the corner from her house and called the PD when they drove off when I got their plate. Well not much happened, and about two weeks later we were walking out of her house when the same car drives by with a female driving and a male hanging out the window yelling "rent-a-cop loser", [Edited] (I am on a volunteer FD so the people in the neighborhood had seen me in my uniform prior and being the paranoid types automatically assumed I was somehow involved with the PD). So the car stops at the end of the street (only one house down from my GFs house. And the male exits and starts to try and initiate a fight, slowly getting closer to me. So I pulled a can of OC spray out of my pocket and kept it by my side and slowly started to shake it up. He didnt notice but the female did and pulled him away and back into the car and drove off.

So obviously even if I had a CCL I wouldn't have been able to shoot him so it goes to show that you should always carry a seconday means of defense.

See less See more
#6 ·
Yea, it does, but...

I know I'm going to be misunderstood here, but there is a fine line I won't cross with respect to "running away".

I live as a free man in a society that is free because people died to make it free.
So while I'll will try very hard to read a situation second by second and decide the best course of action in an attempt to keep anyone from being hurt (including my backing off), I won't turn and sprint unless it's my only means of survival.
At some point, I'll take some risk of injury to insure a resolution in my favor if it means not having to relive a humiliating moment the rest of my life.

That running away thing; been there, done that, and keep thinking about it decades later.

#3 ·
Remove yourself from the problem as quickly as possible for starters. I make a trip down to the PD and speak with someone about the incident...a paper trail, so to speak.

Stay armed...avoid confrontations...stay safe!

#4 ·
You've been given the best advice anyone could already give you.

Running away and avoiding confrontations is a good strategy. So is creating a paper trail by notifying the proper authorities when any incident occurs.

Now I will give you my advice:

Change your clothes at the Firehouse and wear "civilian" clothes to and from work. To a certain element of society uniforms represent "The Man" and it don't matter what uniform it is.

Biker :palmier:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.