Situation I faced about 2 years ago

This is a discussion on Situation I faced about 2 years ago within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This was before I was 21 so I couldn't get a concealed carry license. My girlfriend at the time lived on a not so nice ...

Thread: Situation I faced about 2 years ago

Situation I faced about 2 years ago

This was before I was 21 so I couldn't get a concealed carry license.

My girlfriend at the time lived on a not so nice street (not gangland by any means, but some lousy people). I'm on my way to her house one day when she calls saying two people in a car are shooting heroin in front of her house. So I tell her to call the police and I can't remember if she did or not, but I waited around the corner from her house and called the PD when they drove off when I got their plate. Well not much happened, and about two weeks later we were walking out of her house when the same car drives by with a female driving and a male hanging out the window yelling "rent-a-cop loser", [Edited] (I am on a volunteer FD so the people in the neighborhood had seen me in my uniform prior and being the paranoid types automatically assumed I was somehow involved with the PD). So the car stops at the end of the street (only one house down from my GFs house. And the male exits and starts to try and initiate a fight, slowly getting closer to me. So I pulled a can of OC spray out of my pocket and kept it by my side and slowly started to shake it up. He didnt notice but the female did and pulled him away and back into the car and drove off.

So obviously even if I had a CCL I wouldn't have been able to shoot him so it goes to show that you should always carry a seconday means of defense.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 20th, 2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Deleted a profanity workaround.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan81986 View Post
    So obviously even if I had a CCL I wouldn't have been able to shoot him so it goes to show that you should always carry a seconday means of defense.
    Running away works too.

Remove yourself from the problem as quickly as possible for starters. I make a trip down to the PD and speak with someone about the incident...a paper trail, so to speak.

Stay armed...avoid confrontations...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You've been given the best advice anyone could already give you.

Running away and avoiding confrontations is a good strategy. So is creating a paper trail by notifying the proper authorities when any incident occurs.

Now I will give you my advice:

Change your clothes at the Firehouse and wear "civilian" clothes to and from work. To a certain element of society uniforms represent "The Man" and it don't matter what uniform it is.

Biker

I should add that I was in a fenced in area and he was in front of the gate, no where really to go except back in the house which was already locked. And a cruiser passed right after it happened so we flagged him down and filled out a report.

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by ruertar View Post
    Running away works too.
    Yea, it does, but...

I know I'm going to be misunderstood here, but there is a fine line I won't cross with respect to "running away".

I live as a free man in a society that is free because people died to make it free.
    So while I'll will try very hard to read a situation second by second and decide the best course of action in an attempt to keep anyone from being hurt (including my backing off), I won't turn and sprint unless it's my only means of survival.
    At some point, I'll take some risk of injury to insure a resolution in my favor if it means not having to relive a humiliating moment the rest of my life.

That running away thing; been there, done that, and keep thinking about it decades later.

While I agree with you in theory, running away beats not having to shoot someone and spending your life savings on your defense in court.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDH View Post
    Yea, it does, but...

I know I'm going to be misunderstood here, but there is a fine line I won't cross with respect to "running away".

I live as a free man in a society that is free because people died to make it free.
    So while I'll will try very hard to read a situation second by second and decide the best course of action in an attempt to keep anyone from being hurt (including my backing off), I won't turn and sprint unless it's my only means of survival.
    At some point, I'll take some risk of injury to insure a resolution in my favor if it means not having to relive a humiliating moment the rest of my life.

That running away thing; been there, done that, and keep thinking about it decades later.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    While I agree with you in theory, running away beats not having to shoot someone and spending your life savings on your defense in court.
    Much wisdom there is here young Patawan.

Here's the deal...if running away is tactically sound (I HATE tactical anything since the advent of so-called tactical underwear)...then why feel humiliated?

Even if you have decided to make mincemeat out of your potential aggressor...it LOOKS FANTASTIC to be able to tell responding officers and prosecutors down the line, that you did EVERYTHING including "humiliate yourself" by trying to run away. You now have the image of peace keeper.

Since I am retired and no longer get paid to run TO the sound of gunfire or conflict, part of my self defense arsenal is the word "HELP!". First, it gets the attention of potential witnesses, and they WILL remember that YOU were calling for help, thus firmly establishing YOU as the victim. Whether or not at this point you destroy your attacker, you now have the advantage of being able to say..."I felt threatened, and was in fear for my life."

It is called planning. I was in a pretty bad scuffle a few years ago at a convenience store. I was mistaken by some scumbag as someone who had "dissed" him at some time previously in his miserable life. I didn't know who this guy was, and believe me, I have a VERY good memory when it comes to faces and names. Anyway, I got out of my truck and was heading into the store for a soda, and he said..."I remember you mother******."

I said.."Excuse me?"

"You heard me mother******, I ought to kick your ***."

"Look man, I don't know you and I don't want trouble." I said in a rather more loud voice to make sure the people around me heard it. All the while I was hard-eyeing him for a weapon, and getting myself into a good defensive posture, and looking for a good avenue of exit if i could do so safely.

"You p****, I am gonna kick your f****** a**!"

"DON'T HURT ME, I DON'T WANT TROUBLE!"

He came at me, and in very short order he was lying on the ground with a battered and bloody face and body, and a couple of his remaining rotted meth-mouth teeth scattered around him. The store clerks were still mopping up his blood LITERALLY for the entire hour I was there giving my statement. He, not I chose to get his butt whupped. I honestly tried to avoid the conflict. He chose not to avoid it.

HE wound up getting charged with aggravated assault (because he TRIED to use some karate kick he learned from watching Walker Texas Ranger or something).

All the witnesses remembered ME saying I didn't want trouble, and "Don't hurt me!"

Planning.

I am too old and crippled up to run away anymore...but if used at the right time...SOUNDING like a victim is GREAT for you, if you are forced to violent action.

When the responding officers got there, I gave them my account of what happened, which jibed with what the witnesses said. I never had to draw my gun, and it was not even alluded to that I might be charged for the beating I gave this guy.

So, don't be on such a macho trip that you let your thinking and planning get clouded. It IS much much better NOT to have to use your weapon or fists. I know. I went through it, and it isn't something anyone but a total whack job ever WANTS to do. If you can de-butt the situation and avoid having to kill someone, or putting your loved ones at risk, when it is safer to just get them clear. Do it. Believe me, if your lady or kids got hurt because of your "line you won't cross" in a situation where you COULD have got out safely...then THAT is what you won't be able to live with. That just makes you a fool, not a tough guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Much wisdom there is here young Patawan.

Here's the deal...if running away is tactically sound (I HATE tactical anything since the advent of so-called tactical underwear)...then why feel humiliated?

Even if you have decided to make mincemeat out of your potential aggressor...it LOOKS FANTASTIC to be able to tell responding officers and prosecutors down the line, that you did EVERYTHING including "humiliate yourself" by trying to run away. You now have the image of peace keeper.

Since I am retired and no longer get paid to run TO the sound of gunfire or conflict, part of my self defense arsenal is the word "HELP!". First, it gets the attention of potential witnesses, and they WILL remember that YOU were calling for help, thus firmly establishing YOU as the victim. Whether or not at this point you destroy your attacker, you now have the advantage of being able to say..."I felt threatened, and was in fear for my life."

It is called planning. I was in a pretty bad scuffle a few years ago at a convenience store. I was mistaken by some scumbag as someone who had "dissed" him at some time previously in his miserable life. I didn't know who this guy was, and believe me, I have a VERY good memory when it comes to faces and names. Anyway, I got out of my truck and was heading into the store for a soda, and he said..."I remember you mother******."

I said.."Excuse me?"

"You heard me mother******, I ought to kick your ***."

"Look man, I don't know you and I don't want trouble." I said in a rather more loud voice to make sure the people around me heard it. All the while I was hard-eyeing him for a weapon, and getting myself into a good defensive posture, and looking for a good avenue of exit if i could do so safely.

"You p****, I am gonna kick your f****** a**!"

"DON'T HURT ME, I DON'T WANT TROUBLE!"

He came at me, and in very short order he was lying on the ground with a battered and bloody face and body, and a couple of his remaining rotted meth-mouth teeth scattered around him. The store clerks were still mopping up his blood LITERALLY for the entire hour I was there giving my statement. He, not I chose to get his butt whupped. I honestly tried to avoid the conflict. He chose not to avoid it.

HE wound up getting charged with aggravated assault (because he TRIED to use some karate kick he learned from watching Walker Texas Ranger or something).

All the witnesses remembered ME saying I didn't want trouble, and "Don't hurt me!"

Planning.

I am too old and crippled up to run away anymore...but if used at the right time...SOUNDING like a victim is GREAT for you, if you are forced to violent action.

When the responding officers got there, I gave them my account of what happened, which jibed with what the witnesses said. I never had to draw my gun, and it was not even alluded to that I might be charged for the beating I gave this guy.

So, don't be on such a macho trip that you let your thinking and planning get clouded. It IS much much better NOT to have to use your weapon or fists. I know. I went through it, and it isn't something anyone but a total whack job ever WANTS to do. If you can de-butt the situation and avoid having to kill someone, or putting your loved ones at risk, when it is safer to just get them clear. Do it. Believe me, if your lady or kids got hurt because of your "line you won't cross" in a situation where you COULD have got out safely...then THAT is what you won't be able to live with. That just makes you a fool, not a tough guy.

Very well said sir.

The world needs many more "cooler heads" like you.

Biker

WINNING a fight isn't the goal. NOT LOSING a fight is.

You can't lose a fight if you're not in one.

-JT

Frisco: Perfectly said and great advice.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Links