Business owner carry

Business owner carry

This is a discussion on Business owner carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you were about to buy a liquor store and be an owner operator, what sidearm would you want and what shotgun would you like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business owner carry

Business owner carry

If you were about to buy a liquor store and be an owner operator, what sidearm would you want and what shotgun would you like to have in the office or under the counter?
    This is a real scenario for a buddy of mine that is very close to owning a liquor store in a rural north Florida town. The store has never been robbed according to the current owner but IMO that just means it's due.
    This guy is not a current gun owner but is going to buy a pistol and a shotgun and has told me he is going to get training.

Personally I would want a good 1911 and a Short Barreled Shotgun most likely a Remington 870 but since he is new to guns maybe something like a Glock that has no manual safety to mess with might be best.

Opinions please.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

First and foremost, I'd find a different occupation. That said, I get a Glock-30 and a big shiny double barrel coach gun loaded with 00 buck.

Stay armed...get training...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I didn't think of a coach gun, that would make a heck of a first impression on the BG.
    As for the occupation, I'm with you but he want's to do this.

Talk to the local LE to understand what tactics are commonly used by robbers.

Next to do is make obvious to any who visit the store that there are security cameras both in the store and the parking lot. If he can't afford real ones, put some good fakes at the extreme areas but working ones near the money.

Address the robbery tactics first. The better you work to understand and undermine your opponent's tactics, the less attractive a target you are. Robbers like easy targets. Don't be easy and you will get passed over for someone who is an easy target.

Know your lawyer's name and phone number, BEFORE you need to make that call.

Get some tactical training with both firearms and non-lethal weapons like pepper spray.

Sooner or later it will be robbed or they will at least attemp to.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The store already has a very nice security and surveillance system so he's covered there.

I personally would build up the counter where it's about chest high,that way it's harder to jump over and cover backside with 3/8" steel plate so handgun won't penetrate,if they point a gun you can duck and if they try a reachover grab their gun and disarm or grab their gun hand direct away while you come up with yours and make him a good robber
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If I were him I'd take a look at the Judge by Taurus. It's a revolver that can chamber either .45 magnum longs (I think) or 410 shotgun shells. Best close range SD weapon I think. We'll be adding one for our house soon. No need for a shotgun with this thing. :)
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Local liquor store, after being robbed a gun point a couple times and being tied up, put up a chest high counter and bullet proof glass bout 1 1/2 thick. Now he can just tell the robbers to [Edited]. The front door also has a lock to trap the robbers in till the LEO arrive. Id say this is best, no one gets hurt.

But either way, Id get shortest shotty legally possible.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 22nd, 2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Deleted a profanity workaround.

Short barrel coach, with a high cap 1911. Pump in another location.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Life insurance policy.

Sufficient staff (more than 2 people working per shift)

Sign on the front door, "No firearms allowed, Concealed Permit holders welcome"

Check with local laws concerning the use of a firearm by a business owner, same with the insurance carrier.

Colorado recently snuffed the "Castle Doctrine for businesses". We can defend ourselves at home and away, but not at work/as a business owner.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Sign on the front door, "No firearms allowed, Concealed Permit holders welcome"
    The wording on this would mean no firearms at all, but assuming that wasn't what you meant: what about OC?

Best to have no restrictions, it's not like the ones you really want to stop are going to care about them anyway.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

How about a big no robbery zone sign
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Red82 View Post
    If I were him I'd take a look at the Judge by Taurus. It's a revolver that can chamber either .45 magnum longs (I think) or 410 shotgun shells. Best close range SD weapon I think. We'll be adding one for our house soon. No need for a shotgun with this thing. :)
    The .410 shotgun load out of a short barrel is next to worthless for self-defense. A 12 ga. is best but a 20 ga. packs lots of whallop too. Use a real gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Colorado recently snuffed the "Castle Doctrine for businesses". We can defend ourselves at home and away, but not at work/as a business owner.

Its all them liberals we've been send'n your way from the PRC! If we can get rid of enough of them maybe this state will begin to look like something besides an insane asylum again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    The .410 shotgun load out of a short barrel is next to worthless for self-defense. A 12 ga. is best but a 20 ga. packs lots of whallop too. Use a real gun.
    A .410 the the head neck region is a sure hit. You couldn't miss even if you wanted to. Thats what you need for a close range defensive pistol. I wouldn't want to be hit by it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links