Escape options when hands are tied up behind my back

This is a discussion on Escape options when hands are tied up behind my back within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, I currently carry a Benchmade 710 clipped to my belt tucked on the inside of my pants (right in the front by my zipper). ...

Thread: Escape options when hands are tied up behind my back

Greetings,

I currently carry a Benchmade 710 clipped to my belt tucked on the inside of my pants (right in the front by my zipper). This is a good carrying spot during the day for work (low voltage and phone man work) and is still very concealed. I don't have any serious defensive training yet but I figure it's a decent option if someone is ever choking me out from behind, I can cut their arm and run.

Lately I have been thinking of potential ultra-serious type scenarios where I would be knocked out and perhaps tied up or flex cuffed with hands behind back and driven somewhere. This sort of situation would require me to escape the ties and be ready whenever I was let out of where I was being held.

I have been envisioning a knife at my rear, perhaps clipped to a sewn in loop by the tag of my pants. Small enough to evade detection from a perp, shaped properly to use while bound. A short fixed blade, perhaps a neck knife variant with a half-serrated blade that I could retrieve while tied up and use to saw through the restraints.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this scenario and carry location?

I want to make it clear that this is not intended as any sort of police-related arrest escape inquiry. I am mid 20s, have never been arrested in my life and do my best to never come close. I am trying to give myself an option should I ever encounter some sort of kidnap/murder scenario of the deadliest kind.

Oh and I'm new here. I discovered this forum while doing some handgun research and may have seen you mentioned on EDCForums.com also. Looks like a solid community.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    You could use a small knife in the boot. You can get to your feet with your hands behind your back or in front of you, I doubt someone tying you would search there for it, etc.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    How big is the body of your wristwatch?

How wide is your belt?

Could a single-edged razor blade be taped underneath them?

Try this clipped inside your waistband in back:

Welcome. I'm thinking an ounce of prevention is worth 100lbs of cure.

That said, maybe practice that thing where you get your hands back in front of you...then crawl into the front of the cop car and drive off while the cop is outside searching your car.

Okay, so I got carried away there, but I think anything would be better if your hands are in front of you.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Boot or shoe is a nice idea. Perhaps another small folder.

I haven't worn a wrist watch since college, though I am looking to get one in the next year or so. It would probably be a small basic dive watch if not smaller. I wear a 1 3/4" nylon belt. A thin patch of fabric sewn onto the belt as like a pocket is a nice idea. I didn't think of things like that nice.

Hah FN I realize it's sort of a longball theory though I do not have a neck knife yet and thought it might be a good way of killing two birds. I am semi-OCD that way. Four times!

Ah nice little Boker there. I remember seeing pics of that before in neck knife threads I think. I'll check it out.

Nice call on the reversal of hands.

Quote Originally Posted by GregGates View Post
    ...Nice call on the reversal of hands.
    Try it. I have long arms, and I have not been able to do that in 15 years. Requires the ability to bend and stretch, moving limbs in directions one does not normally move.

Neck knife, small folders tucked inside the seam of a shoe, clipped blade at the small of your back (L or R of the spine).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Don't hang with people who might get you kidnapped from a Wallyworld parking lot.

Don't deal dope, guns, or sleep with Serious Dudes' girlfriends. Problem solved.

In any event, you should be able to reach most anything carried around the 4 or 8 o'clock position, IWB, with your arms behind you.

Get a different belt, a good gun belt, then get a good gun to attach to the belt. That way you shouldn't have to worry about getting tied up with your hands behind your back.

Yes that was said in all seriousness. I can't see any situation where I would let someone tie me up like that without somebody needing some serious medical attention. Hopefully it will be the other guy and not me.

How the heck are you planning on reaching your neck with your hands tied behind your back. I would think around your midsection, belt, or your pocket would be the best bet. I carry my knife clipped to my front pocket.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I've found handcuff keys inside the back of belts...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

More good suggestions thank you everyone.

The belt I use is a black nylon Spec Ops Better BDU Belt. I am a big fan of it, though if this is not good with inside the pants tuck holsters I will look into gun specific belts.

Unfortunely I live in one of the two states that ban CCW so until I move away I am limited to other defensive options.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I've found handcuff keys inside the back of belts...
    I keep one of those and a tiny serrated blade in a zippered "money compartment" in my belt. Not that I think i'll ever need it, but i cant tell its there if i try & i've got nothing better to keep there.

It wouldnt be overly fast, but i'd be able to get to them pretty much anywhere my hands are tied. If they were in front i could unbuckle the belt & slide it through till i can get at the zippered pocket.

Like i said, i'll probably never use it, but it doesnt cost me anything to carry it. Its just part of my wardrobe.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

Before having to use a smaller knife to cut myself free from 'cuffs', I'll be using a big gun to prevent anyone putting cuffs on me in the first place. Before I get cuffed and moved to another spot, I'll probably be either calling 911 to report a dead BG or laying in a pile of brass casings at the spot of the crime.
    Either way, I'm not leaving the scene of the crime and taken somewhere else.
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I fully agree with that sentiment retsupt and without any weapon on me (should it happen) I would resist and prefer being shot or killed on site instead of transported anywhere. The worry here is some sort of got drugged, blindsided and knocked out, tricked by someone you trusted scenario.

I am very observant and fairly paranoid so I take every effort to dissolve criminal opportunity in my immediate area. It is the motive that lingers and defeats those defenses that would require this type of ace/sleeve option.

If you get to the point where you're tied up, you're soon to be dead anyway.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links