Ever have one of those moments?

This is a discussion on Ever have one of those moments? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had one of "those" moments today. I let my guard down in a seemingly harmless situation, but realized later that it could have gone ...

Thread: Ever have one of those moments?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I had one of "those" moments today. I let my guard down in a seemingly harmless situation, but realized later that it could have gone bad quickly too.

I was at work pulling out the back lot to deliver an order when a car pulls up and he waves me over. I could clearly see him through the window and he was a regular well dressed Latino man about 30. He opens his door, and I roll my window down to see what he wants. He asks if I have so-and-so order, I said "No, that one is inside still." I told him to go get it because if it's a delivery there is nothing I can do to stop the driver from getting it before you get in there. At which point he drives around to the front and I leave.

Later on I got to thinking, if that guy wanted to rob me there wouldn't be much I could do to stop it from the position I was in. I was busy and hustling and let my guard down

Have you ever had one of those moments where the situation seems OK, but you realize later it could have gone bad?

Have you ever had one of those moments where the situation seems OK, but you realize later it could have gone bad?
    Sure I have. Almost every day. Weekly at the least.

I had a guy pull up next to me asking for directions to a friends house, I gave him verbal instructions but he insisted that I get in the car with him to show him as he didnt know our city.

He seemed friendly enough and the street he metioned was only 1/2 a block away.

Sure enough his friends house was around the corner from mine, his friend came out to greet him and he thanked me for being his GPS system, even offered to give me a ride round the corner to my house.

He could have easily driven me anywhere and tried to rob or attack me. Im glad Im a reasonable judge of character but wont be taking that risk again. Next time I'll put my Canadian accent on and say im a tourist and dont know my way round.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    I had a guy pull up next to me asking for directions to a friends house, I gave him verbal instructions but he insisted that I get in the car with him to show him as he didnt know our city.

He seemed friendly enough and the street he metioned was only 1/2 a block away.

Sure enough his friends house was around the corner from mine, his friend came out to greet him and he thanked me for being his GPS system, even offered to give me a ride round the corner to my house.

He could have easily driven me anywhere and tried to rob or attack me. Im glad Im a reasonable judge of character but wont be taking that risk again. Next time I'll put my Canadian accent on and say im a tourist and dont know my way round.
    Remind me again what you were thinking when you got in the car? What if he had a friend hunkered down in the back seat? Or some way to incapacitate you? Not something I'd do
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

jfl
    It happens to me also; and that's a good thing, reminds us that we are human.
    But we have to prepare for that too, know what to do when caught off-guard and the SHTF.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have it happen to me almost daily at work. I have upwards of 70 guys at one time on my construction site and cant keep an eye on all of them. Since I'm their boss, I get a little complacent and laxidazical about what is going on around me. When I'm not at work, my head swivels like an owl.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I used to never have a "guard," all it took was one time getting jumped by some hoodlums in college and I've never let it down since. It really sucks to be that way, since you want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it's a crazy world we live in....

Most of the time it happens when one of my daughters wakes me very quietly (out of a dead sleep) and wants something....like an extra $20.... for a movie after school.

On a lighter note, it happens often enough that I'm reminding myself to stay 'yellow' pretty often. It's when you stop recognizing/realizing you've let your guard down that you become 'easy prey'.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post

sorry, but getting into a car with an unknown was stupid.

I'm sure most of the women Ted Bundy conned into his car before he killed them probably considered themselves to be reasonable judges of character.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

A teenager pulled up next to me tonight in Taco Bell parking lot with his subwoofers blaring and jumped out of the car. I kept my eye on him through the driver's side mirror as he walked toward the restaurant. He got halfway there, the turned around and jogged back to his/my car. I figured maybe he forgot his wallet or something, but then I got 4 or 5 HARD knocks on my window. I have 5% tint so he couldn't see me but my car was running so I'm guessing he knew I was in it. "Open the window man"" he said. I was contemplating just driving away as I had a clear path, but I rolled down my window an inch and he said "Is this a Supra? Ohh nice what year?"....so at this point I felt more at ease and rolled the window down halfway, and at that moment a car pulled up to the drive-through, blocking my exit. At the same time, his two friends got out of the car and one came and stood by him and the other went to the passenger side and tried to open the door(locked). He told me he just wanted to see the inside since it was his dream car, so I told him to come around to my side and he could look in the window. It was kind of hair raising having 3 "banger" type kids around my car with my window down, exit blocked, specially when one of them wants to open the door.

In the end they just seemed like excited kids that wanted to take a look and nothing else. I was just stuck on what to do because while I like being safe, I also don't want to be that A-Hole driver that just drives away from kids that just want to shoot the poop.

After I left I thought about what a bad position I was in and how things could have went bad pretty quickly.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Quote Originally Posted by svinfinity45 View Post
    A teenager pulled up next to me tonight in Taco Bell parking lot with his subwoofers blaring and jumped out of the car. I kept my eye on him through the driver's side mirror as he walked toward the restaurant. He got halfway there, the turned around and jogged back to his/my car. I figured maybe he forgot his wallet or something, but then I got 4 or 5 HARD knocks on my window. I have 5% tint so he couldn't see me but my car was running so I'm guessing he knew I was in it. "Open the window man"" he said. I was contemplating just driving away as I had a clear path, but I rolled down my window an inch and he said "Is this a Supra? Ohh nice what year?"....so at this point I felt more at ease and rolled the window down halfway, and at that moment a car pulled up to the drive-through, blocking my exit. At the same time, his two friends got out of the car and one came and stood by him and the other went to the passenger side and tried to open the door(locked). He told me he just wanted to see the inside since it was his dream car, so I told him to come around to my side and he could look in the window. It was kind of hair raising having 3 "banger" type kids around my car with my window down, exit blocked, specially when one of them wants to open the door.

In the end they just seemed like excited kids that wanted to take a look and nothing else. I was just stuck on what to do because while I like being safe, I also don't want to be that A-Hole driver that just drives away from kids that just want to shoot the poop.

After I left I thought about what a bad position I was in and how things could have went bad pretty quickly.
    Kind of wierd though, trying to open your door without your permission... Those damn "bangers," no class I tell ya... lol

It can happen to anyone...impossible (or unlikely) to be yellowish-orange 100% of the time.

I was loading large bags of dog food into the back of my car when this guy suddenly appeared next to me asking for money to get his car fixed...family stranded, blah, blah, blah...
    He immediatley found out that he was asking the wrong questons and had approached the wrong guy.
    I was disappointed that I had not observed his approach. I watch parking lots very carefully, but this one time, I missed his approach. Lesson learned here...it made me even more cautious about approaching strangers...now my neck is on a 360' crank...so in a way, he helped strengthen my awareness.

Stay armed...be cognizant...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The real trick is to recognise these potentially bad scenerios AS THEY'RE UNFOLDING rather than AFTER the event has (or hasn't) happened. And I say this more as a reminder to myself than to anyone reading. The truth is...when criminals are recounting their violent acts they regularly mention that their victims "can't believe this is happening" as it is happening. Brothers & Sisters, it happens, it's gonna' happen, it will happen. There is no vaccine. Stay awake, Stay alive!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by txhorns281 View Post
    Kind of wierd though, trying to open your door without your permission... Those damn "bangers," no class I tell ya... lol

It's happened to me twice, the first time a kid at a wendys just walked up after I had just let my passenger out and had doors unlocked, opened my passenger door, and said "WHERES THE FOOD I WANTED". I could tell he was drunk or on some kind of drug so I just said very stearnly "YOUR GOING TO SHUT THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY, DO IT NOW" and that's all it took. A few minutes later the cops showed up...turns out the kid was hiding in the bushes by the drive-through speaker and asking everyone who pulled up to buy him something and then following them to the exit to see if they would give him any food. Got arrested for BoP.

Guess you can call that another "moment" since I didn't know he was there until my door was being opened. This was also before I had my RI CCP and I was in RI so unarmed too, could have been bad I suppose.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Caught By Surprise

Last August, one evening after supper, I was sitting on my back deck doing dry-fire practice on trees, birds, etc. and enjoying the privacy and farm country quiet of the evening.
    Suddenly, some man I didn't know came around the end of my house and into my back yard just a few feet away from me and stood there looking all around.
    My guard-cat took a dive and left me holding the bag with an empty gun and my loaded magazine was awkwardly stuffed in a hip pocket.
    The problem then became one of discretely loading the XD-45 while keeping it out of sight and pleasantly asking "May I help you with something?".
    It all turned out pretty innocent as he was a landscaper/yard care estimator but I wasn't expecting him because he was three days late for the appointment.
    I kept the (now loaded) pistol on my weak side, tucked behind my back and kept my right hand free for business.
    I still don't know if he knew I was holding a weapon and neither one of us said anything about it.
    Hate surprises.

Dick

Sponsored Links