Being followed.

Being followed.

This is a discussion on Being followed. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe more likely in towns - someone on foot, trailing but seeming to follow. Perhaps too we can include being followed by a vehicle. First ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Being followed.

Assistant Administrator

Being followed.

Maybe more likely in towns - someone on foot, trailing but seeming to follow. Perhaps too we can include being followed by a vehicle.

First we'd have to find a way of establishing that paranoia had not gotten the better of us, despite our con' yellow - so at what point might we usefully decide it is genuine? Perhaps make subtle changes to see if there is a following equal action - which seems most logical.

If then that decision is made - actions? How soon might we use the cell to call it in? How to best evade perhaps? What if we think there is one doing the following when in fact it could be a team.?

Let's also assume here you have no reason to suspect you are a target of the Fed's

OK - fertile imagination mode again but unlikely tho this is maybe - it is yet another thing that has crossed my mind.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    With some of the situations you think up, you must have had some carzy ex's. Or been part of some 007 type organization.

Lead Moderator
    I can see being followed by someone with the intent to rob you. Maybe even 2 people working together. Change direction, get in a people busy area, find a defensable position.

A friend of mine told me about two friends of his that were attacked while walking home one evening not long ago. They live in a condo in a decent part of Minneapolis. These two Yuppies I'm sure had no idea they were being followed until they were attacked while entering their building. They were beaten, one suffered a broken jaw, and a purse was snached.

They needed to take a class on situational awareness and avoidance techinques but I am sure that would be out of the question for them. At least until now.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

basicly youll have to try to change direction and alter you course to observe if they are truly following if they are then try to steer yourself to a cop shop and if they isnt possible call the cops and arange a place you gonna meet them

When I was with the dept of corrections (a long time ago in a galaxy far away) I was tailed by some of my clients more than once. This was before the era of the cell phone. I always try and keep an eye on my "six." If the same car makes more than two turns with me, I automatically go into a more complex series of turns to determine if the contact is more than coincidence. During those times in the past, I was able to flag down a patrol car and explain the situation. The cops would stop the vehicle and I'd make the arrest and violate the bozo, so he could spend some more time on the "inside."

There are frequent driveway robberies in my area and there have been at least two murders due DIRECTLY to a following situation from the local Publix grocery store. The punks hang around and watch for the upscale shopper, flashing her Rolex or getting into the BMW series six or whatever. Follow them home and nail them as they step from the car. I keep an eye out. If it's dark, I watch as headlights turn with me. I'll make another turn to see if those lights follow my track. I keep a Light Cannon in my vehicle. Plugs into the lighter. About 5 million candlepower. If I need to blind somebody this will do the trick right fast.

Now, if you're being tailed by a set of pros with a team of more than say five or six who are able to stay in contact via radio or phone and run a parallel course then you are well and truly screwed. Because if that is the case and you're worth the attention, then they're likely to have chopper support too. Not much chance of hiding from "the eye in the sky."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    With some of the situations you think up, you must have had some carzy ex's. Or been part of some 007 type organization
    Bruce - not guilty of either

I do tho have a fertile imagination and try much as I can to try and think outside of the box. It helped saved my butt once - so I continue to stretch limits and possibilities - nothing more
    Chris - P95

I think your right bruce he must have been a Part of MI6 or Sas

Assistant Administrator
    OK Bud - I was actually MI five and a half - never made it quite to ''6''
    Chris - P95

With the Socks and Sandles i wonder why ..Didnt james teach you how to dress?

Assistant Administrator
    This is all I have to say to you Bud -

Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    This is all I have to say to you Bud -

NO SOCKS AND SANDDLES

Sorry ill have to stop giving ya a hard time for now but your never gonna live that one down

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    It is too long of a story for me to retype, but I been followed before. (made a post about it way back when I first joined)It was back when only rich people had cell phones. I never found out who it was or what their intentions were, but when I figured out that they were indeed following me and made moves to evade them, they started trying to bump my car off the road. (good thing that the first bump was a glancing blow or else I would have been taken completely by surprise) To make a long story short, I eventually managed to get away, by sheer stupidity and luck.

These days I tend to keep a close eye on my six while driving. I guess I am a little paranoid, but that has caused me to give this well over a decade worth of thought.

If I have reason to beleive that someonw is following me (while driving) I will use a couple of tests to see if they are indeed following, or just happen to be going the same way I am.

#1 If the road allows for passing, I drive slower, to see if they will pass or not.
    #2 Change into a lane as if intending to make a last minute turn. If they do the same, change back.
    #3 Make a quick turn, into a large open parking lot with more than one exit. Go in and then right back out again being careful not to get boxed in by traffic.

If they are still with you at this point, I would start to become concerned.

I went through all these steps one night with a guy who followed me nearly 50 miles down the interstate. I took an exit or two and then got right back on etc. I probably should have called the police, but I was driving a beater 1ton cargo van, and the guy following me was in a tiny little import. I finally decided to put a stop to it myself. I pulled into a truck stop and pulled up to the pump. I even shifted into reverse and right back into drive to flash my backup lights as if I had put it in park. I then popped my door open a few inches to make it look like I was getting out, but kept it so that I could see him in my side mirror. He got out, and when he got about even with my back bumper I floored it. (not nearly as impressive as it sounds in a wheezy 300,000 mile cargo van) I saw him dive back into his car, but I had time to go all the way around the building which had a one way drive through window on the opposite side of it. Turned the van around in time to block his exit from that side, and promptly asked him what the heck he thought he was doing. In this case I turned out to be the fool. The guy was only trying to tell me my van was throwing off sparks from underneath. It seems I had piece of steel cable hanging out of the side doors that had gotten tangled up under the van and was dragging slightly. LOL! You never know.

Assistant Administrator
    Bryan - so true - we never do know for sure. Poor guy was trying to do you a favor - always possible as we do have good folks around, still!!

Your other experience tho - well - you don't forget those things. Certainly better not to.!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for you Bud, cruelty can only be rewarded by having to cross you off my card list - that's it! Damn - I'll get something on you yet!

Backatcha - vest and bandana eh - Don't forget - I can ''do'' things to pics

Chris - P95

Three right hand turns to circle back to original location. From there, you will know whether you are being followed. Get on the cell, drive toward populated and well lit areas, tell the police where you are and keep moving until the police stop the suspect vehicle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links