Concealed carry at work.

This is a discussion on Concealed carry at work. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work as a repossessor. I carry on a daily basis and have for some years now. We had an incident in our storage yard ...

Thread: Concealed carry at work.

Concealed carry at work.

I work as a repossessor. I carry on a daily basis and have for some years now. We had an incident in our storage yard some time ago. We had a vehicle that was to be released to a debtor and she asked that her husband be able to pick up the car. The bank had to ok it as the debtor's husband wasn't on the loan. Their one stipulation was that the husband provide a notarized letter from the debtor giving permission for him to pick it up.
    The gentleman arrived and immediately took an arrogant stance. He tried to intimidate the girl taking payment and literally threw the money at her. She was flustered and forgot to ask for the letter. The owner of the company proceeded to the storage yard to get the letter. This guy unleashed a barrage of profanity and proceeded to slam into the pickup in front of his car as well as the car behind to move them out of the way. He almost ran down the owner and four other individuals who came out to the yard to help. The owner locked the gate and I stood in front of the gate telling him to get out of the car. I had a locked gate behind me and two concrete walls on either side. In short, no escape as the car was now about 4 feet from me. He paused for a moment and proceeded to attempt to shift the car in drive.
    Immediately the acronym J(eopardy)A(bility)M(eans) went through my mind and they were all there. I also had no escape so I put my hand on my pistol and unsnapped the pancake slide holster. I waited to see if he would get it in drive before my gun was drawn. Luckily one of the tow drivers jumped in the driver's side window which was down and fought for the keys, causing this individual to leave the vehicle in park. He still doesn't know how close to meeting his maker he came.
    The situation was, luckily for both he and myself, defused. I have no doubt that I would have pulled the trigger if he had put the car in drive but I was glad I didn't have to. I have thought about it long and hard and hope I never face another situation like that again. When the police showed up the gun wasn't even a factor as, in the confusion, only myself and the owner knew I had reached for my pistol. I don't envy anyone facing that type of a decision especially in MA, where I live and work, because the law is such that it is not conducive to self defense. Had I drawn my weapon I would have been in hot water with the PD.
    As it turns out this guy was a corrections officer in CT. As a result he WASN'T EVEN ARRESTED for the four counts of assault with a deadly weapon he has since been charged with. He is facing charges though and we will all be in the courtroom to see him tried.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I think you guys made a bad judgement. He paid the bill, your representive let him to the car, locking the gates and having no means of escape was a dumb move, all to protect property that he had the right to have, if he had the letter. He to made bad judgement, but instead of standing in front of a 4000 vehicle, I would have let him do his thing, let the police do their job and insurance cover any damage. Your in a business where most people are not doing to be happy with you, no need to make the situation worse.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard rjnsn.

Based on your story I think you demonstrated great restraint in this situation.

It would appear that your business could not legally let that vehicle go without that required document.

Semper Fi
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Getting killed over MY property would most likely never happen (unless that property is my guns).

Getting killed over somebody else's property... not a chance.

I think your technique and restraint are both admirable, but remember that your primary reason for carrying is to protect yourself, not your employer's financial well being. Its your choice, but just bear in mind that it has to hold up in court.

And WELCOME TO DC.COM!!
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

I agree with justherenow on all points. Standing in front of an angry driver behind the wheel of a car is poor judgement.

Better judged by twelve than carried by six.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    ...would appear that your business could not legally let that vehicle go without that required document....
    But in the spirit of "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six", I would wave bye-bye to the jerk with the car, and pick up the pieces legally/financially later if it turned out we shouldn't have released it.

Still, rjnsn, once in such a situation (and I can certainly imagine myself in such a mess, thinking, 'wait - what am I doing here!?'), I applaud your self-restraint.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    But in the spirit of "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six", I would wave bye-bye to the jerk with the car, and pick up the pieces legally/financially later if it turned out we shouldn't have released it.

Still, rjnsn, once in such a situation (and I can certainly imagine myself in such a mess, thinking, 'wait - what am I doing here!?'), I applaud your self-restraint.
    I agree here...you may have been accused of creating the situation. Much less stress and liabilities if you had not stood in the way.
    Perhaps a 911 call and not even letting him on the lot without a letter could have stopped his initial actions.
    I would have called 911 to report a car theft in progress...if that's what he did...it was NOT his car, his name was not on the title...pretty clear, without a letter stating otherwise.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I'd step back and let the guy go and call 911. He refused to give the documentation required to receive the vehicle. Once he has driven off the lot he has committed a criminal act, auto theft.
    What is going to get sticky in this situation is the vehicle does not belong to you or your boss. It belongs to a financial institution. Are they willing to press charges? Are they going to back you as their representative, or are they going to try and throw you to the wolves, saying "We didn't give them authorization to use force to maintain control of the vehicle". My guess is they will do anything they can to cut their losses, and that means hanging you and your employer out to dry.
    JMO
    Last edited by archer51; October 25th, 2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: correct typo
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links