Sprayed with OC during confrontation

This is a discussion on Sprayed with OC during confrontation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Situation is this, you just got done putting gas into your car and a guy that looks pretty unassuming begins to walk towards you and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprayed with OC during confrontation

Situation is this, you just got done putting gas into your car and a guy that looks pretty unassuming begins to walk towards you and is saying something about money. You are alerted to the fact that he has a hand behind his back and you hand goes to your holster pistol. As he gets within five yards his hand comes up and he sprays you with OC, in an instant your eyes slam shut. What do you think you would do?

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Situation is this, you just got done putting gas into your car and a guy that looks pretty unassuming begins to walk towards you and is saying something about money. You are alerted to the fact that he has a hand behind his back and you hand goes to your holster pistol. As he gets within five yards his hand comes up and he sprays you with OC, in an instant your eyes slam shut. What do you think you would do?
    This guy just tested my ability to shoot without using sights...point shooting from retention...

I'm quite capable of hitting his COM...twice...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It is entirely possible, but not very pleasant to fight through being hit with OC spray.

Do what you have to do to defend yourself, although with proper situational awareness he shouldn't of gotten that close.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Actually, if you use an OC/pepper spray of some type, you should get sprayed with it, or spray it into the wind. This will give you real life experience of what may really happen when depending upon an OC spray.

When buying some, buy some extras...spray into the wind and figure out how far it will really go...do you have this info?...you should.

Stay armed...know your spray...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Having had to be in a room filled with OC for training purposes I can honestly tell you that you can fight threw OC. It is very unpleasant and causes extreme irritation to your skin but you can still function to some degree. Just remember one thing NEVER RUB YOUR EYES when you are blasted with OC it only makes it worst.
    "No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    As a matter of fact, I purposely sprayed some OC yesterday so that I would get some blowback (again) just to remember and expect if I get sprayed. I sneezed, and wasn't very impressed. One thing that I'd like to do in life is to build up a real good tolerance for OC.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've been gassed, OCed, maced, pepper sprayed so many times. It will not be just pleasant but I'm sort of used to it.

I'm going to be mad as hell that I have to dispose of my contact lenses so I'm going to beat someone. I guess that's just a luxury I have.

Other than that, would deadly force be justified in such as situation?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

DC Founder
    I am being sprayed with OC in December and then expected to retain control of my gun during a struggle. I'll let you know after that what I would do. Right now I would just try to latch on to the guy and beat him as fiercely as I could muster, but that may be hard to do. I would probably try not to draw my gun....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

For some sadistic reason, our superiors insist on making us believe that various sprays work. I went through CS and CN during my Army times. I was sprayed with OC many times during my qualifications with my department. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I just have a high tolerance to pain, but none of them incapacitated me. I do believe most of it was my attitude...I wasn't going to go down crying like so many others. Since my retirement, I got a blast right in the face when a cowardly security officer tried to spray a shoplifter. While I had tears, it certainly didn't put me down, and I could have easily drawn and defended myself. Same thing happened with the stun gun...maybe I'm just weird.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I can fight through it. It sucks though. I've never actually seen it work on any inmate that's been sprayed. It pisses them off, but it doesn't make them give up. I can say that I couldn't keep my eyes open for more than half a second at a time. Felt like fibreglass in my eyes.

Funny how annual qualifications go...they made us get sprayed so "we would know how effective it was", yet I qualified at least twice a year with my sidearm, a shotgun, and an AR15, but they never made us get shot so we'd know that they worked!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

To address the original question of "what would you do" let me raise another pertinent question; how do you really know for sure in the short period of time that this could take to transpire what you are actually being sprayed with or about to be sprayed with? People have been splashed with acid, infected blood, gasoline, sprayed with bug sprays or other toxic crap. Do you really want to wait around to find out what it is before taking action?

I know I can identify a few types of OC / pepper sprays I suppose but if all I see is some freak trying to hose me down with "something" and especially if I can't move away because there isn't a place to move to or perhaps my baby is in my truck and I won't leave him alone, then there is gonna be one less numb-nut in the world immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I am being sprayed with OC in December and then expected to retain control of my gun during a struggle. I'll let you know after that what I would do. Right now I would just try to latch on to the guy and beat him as fiercely as I could muster, but that may be hard to do. I would probably try not to draw my gun....
    Bumper,
    It can be done. I've been through the 'level 1' quals a couple-few times. IT's NOT FUN.....but it ain't that bad either. Keep blinking your eyes and fight 'through' the BG AND the stinging and you'll do fine.

WRT the OP.....for quals/training, We'll get a 'good squirt' of OC and the we have to run a course of fight/retention, get beat up or try to beat up 'the red-man'. It IS possible to succeed in your given sceaniro.....KEEP your BEARINGS, don't panic, and FIGHT......YELL.....get in your car if possiable.....whatever. WRT OC just keep blinking, breathing, and FIGHTING!

With the BG getting in that close employing your sidearm is tricky and dangerous. You'll fall back on any point shooting/low light shooting training you've had.

Bottom line: OC spray hurts......but your not injured.
    BLINK, BREATH, and FIGHT!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Pepper spray is a "non-lethal" device. I dont think you can be justified for shooting somebody who sprayed you. With that being said, I dont think I would expose my firearm after being sprayed. If the spray did incapacitate me and I had a gun in my hand, the BG now has my gun, vehicle and gone.

Anyone who has never felt the effects of OC sprayed into the face will automatically bring the hands to the face to cover and clear the face/eyes from the spray. Granted, rubbing your eyes makes it worse but its a natural reaction for most.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    It is entirely possible, but not very pleasant to fight through being hit with OC spray.

Do what you have to do to defend yourself, although with proper situational awareness he shouldn't of gotten that close.
    QFT. Realize the benefit to the law abiding people with OC is that the attacker does not HAVE to continue the attack after being sprayed. His options are to continue at a severe disadvantage (and let's be honest, he chose you because he thought he had the advantage) or to break off. Your options are different. You can fight through it or you can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Pepper spray is a "non-lethal" device. I dont think you can be justified for shooting somebody who sprayed you.
    Realize ROPE is a non-lethal device. Would you be willing to allow yourself to be tied up by the attacker without resisting with deadly force.

If you can make the reasonable assumption that his disabling you was the beginning of a deadly assault, rape, kidnapping or maiming you are certainly justified in using deadly force. In some jurisdictions simply his doing so for a robbery is justification.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links