Home defense plan help needed

This is a discussion on Home defense plan help needed within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just read this thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ast-night.html and it made me think about my situation. Master bed room downstairs for the wife and me (both have handguns ...

Thread: Home defense plan help needed

Home defense plan help needed

Just read this thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ast-night.html and it made me think about my situation. Master bed room downstairs for the wife and me (both have handguns and lights within reach), 4 kid's bedrooms upstairs. 4 kids ages 5 to 14. 2 sets of stairs. Yellow lab is very protective of the kids. We have designated the MBR and one of the kids room as safe rooms. The challenge in getting from the MBR to the kids safe room is that it would require going thru the living/kitchen area which is pretty open and exposed to anyone downstairs.

I would appreciate any thoughts, constructive comments, or good resources for home defense preparation.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Difficult situation. Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to reinforce the door frame on the upstairs safe room, install a steel door with deadbolt lock on it and train the oldest, that in case of an emergency situation, to round up the other children and lock themselves in the room. Have a safe word to use with them, that unless you or wife uses it, they do not open the door. I wouldn't even want them to open it for the police. If LEO need into the room and you and wife can't be there, they can always get a locksmith to open it. I know it is not the best situation, but at least your children would be safe.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The above advice is good.
    What do you have for weapons in the house?
    If attempting to go through the downstairs area to get to the kids, I'd take a 12 ga. shottie (00 buck) with me on the trek.

Stay armed...the dog is a great warning system...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Depending on the layout of your house, I knew a guy who had a kid's bedroom in the basement.
    He installed a set of pull down steps like most ranch homes have to get to the craw space above the ceiling as a secondary escape in case of a fire.
    Put a railing around it in the bedroom upstairs so no one stepped on it and fell through.
    Might allow you access to the upstairs without going through the living room.

The most important thing is target hardening. Typical stuff like motion detector lights are great, so are sirens. In my career as a police officer I only ever responded to one good residential burglar alarm. I think the yard placards and stickers are more important. If you see an ADT guy around town give him $20 and get some.

Make sure you close your garage door at night. Also secure all you vehicles. It is a popular tactic to pop the lock on a vehicle in the driveway and open the garage door with a push of a button.

I have been on well over 100 search warrants / entries and the truth is that a 3 man team could bust in your door in the middle of the night and be on top of you before you even realize what is going on. Believe me drug dealers are more aware than most of us and they seldom get a chance to do anything before they are gun faced. The dog is a good burglar alarm with the barking and all but a blast from a fire extinguisher sends the toughest pit bull running. The emphasis needs to be on making the bad guys pick the neighbors house instead of yours.

Links