Road rage scenario

Road rage scenario

This is a discussion on Road rage scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We've all done it, you cut off somebody accidentally or aggravate somebody somehow. Well this time the person decides to follow you home. Lets assume ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road rage scenario

Road rage scenario

We've all done it, you cut off somebody accidentally or aggravate somebody somehow. Well this time the person decides to follow you home. Lets assume you don't notice so you arent able to alert the police or drive to the nearest police station. You get home with the person still there and when you get out of the car the person gets out and tries to confront you. What do you do? Especially if running into the house isn't too good of an option because the person could get to you before you get to the front door.

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan81986 View Post
    We've all done it, you cut off somebody accidentally or aggravate somebody somehow. Well this time the person decides to follow you home. Lets assume you don't notice so you arent able to alert the police or drive to the nearest police station. You get home with the person still there and when you get out of the car the person gets out and tries to confront you. What do you do? Especially if running into the house isn't too good of an option because the person could get to you before you get to the front door.
    Lot's of problems here.

"You don't notice" (you're being followed) - ????? Ever since I got my CCW permit, I always notice. That's part of being responsible for one's own self defense.

When the person "confronts you", how is he confronting you?
    Does he have anything in his hands? How aggressive is he? Is he walking toward you or just standing at his car and mouthing his frustration?

Are you armed yourself? If not, you might want to try to diffuse the situation by talking apologetically.
    If you are armed, you might want to try to diffuse the situation by talking apologetically. (See a pattern here?).

Then if you do have a weapon, and if he pulls a knife and takes even one step toward you, or pulls a gun from somewhere, you might try to diffuse the situation by a quick Mozambique drill.

Your scenario leaves too much out to be able to suggest a simple response.
    As always, first, be aware. Do that, and 99% of the scenarios people describe here would likely never happen.

jfl
    Considering where I live, I would have to be asleep not to notice somebody following me.

Now to answer your question, and making assumptions on all the details you left out, I would close the gate just behind my vehicle (remote control) and he would be looking at a big "Do not trespass" sign, then I would drive to the house.
    If he chose to climb the fence and follow, he would be looking at the wrong end of my Glock and I would inform him of the possible outcome of his actions and maybe, leave him the option to leave.
    Now if he had a bad day, my wife, having heard the driveway alarm would come out to see who that was, with her .357
    If he kept on coming at me, at 15 ft, with the car between us, he'd be treated to a stream of OC with dye (Sir, I tried to stop him); if he is still trying to get around the car - unlikely -, it's time for 2 COM +1 head, repeat as necessary to stop the threat.
    BTW, cell phones don't really work here, so no call to 911.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    If you are practicing good SA this won't happen. IF you noticed the person there before you got out of the car you made a mistake, stay in the car with the windows up and door locked, if you are already out get back in. Call 911 and wait for the police to arrive. Stay on the phone with 911, that way there is a recording of what is being said. Takes the "he said/she said" out of it. I would still have my gun holstered, but cover garment would be cleared for easy access. As in any situation clearing leather and firing is the last resort. VA does not have a Castle Doctrine so just him being on my property does not give me the right to shoot. Even with Castle Doctrine I would not shoot until it was the last option.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Well, first off, I'd notice if I was being followed. Even a good P.I. couldn't keep from getting detected by me. That aside....let's say I was confronted after I had arrived ON MY PROPERTY. Whoever it was would be asked to leave first, told to leave second, and after the 911 call is placed by me, I may get back into my vehicle and lock the doors until the police arrive, or I may warn one last time before the pistol comes out to the ready position.

I know most people would notice, I was just trying to set up a scenario where someone was able to confront you in front of your home. Not armed but confronting you in an aggressive threatening manner

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Oh wow ... this one's tough. First, I would notice if anyone was following me, lets assume I didnt.

As soon as I see the individual who has followed me to my driveway and since I cannot get to the house or get back into my car, I would keep the car between myself and the aggressor. If his voice escalated and/or made some type of threatening statement I would put my hand on my pistol and immediately say: "You're on private property and I have a gun, I suggest you get back into your car and leave immediately or I will call the Police". The aggressor doesnt know if you have a gun on you, or, you just own one, how lucky does he feel?

Reporting to the person that you have a gun should be warning enough that he would vacate the premise (if he's smart). Chances are, the tone of the conversation will lesson somewhat and he will leave. If this doesnt work, keep the car between you and him and call the Police. If he leaves, still call the Police and report him and his license plates. Also it would be good to tell the Police that you are licensed to carry and you warned the attacker that he was trespassing and that you had a gun.

This situation depends on the aggression of the attacker. This is how I would handle it if he was only vocal in his threats. The OP doesnt lead me to believe my life is in danger yet.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

It is a real deal here. There have been a few people shot and killed here in Phoenix. I always notice if someone is following me.

I know most people would notice, I was just trying to set up a scenario where someone was able to confront you in front of your home. Not armed but confronting you in an aggressive threatening manner
    Move to Texas, Colorado, or Arizona and allow them to confront you in front of your home (Arizona they would need to be entering).
    However, if you must live in a state that does not recognize the right to defend yourself and your "castle" (again Arizona is a modified castle doctrine- not full) you should be far more aware and never let that situation occur.

I teach people surveillance and counter surveillance, and I can say for a fact that many police officers and even government "employees" are far more careless than we would think. Being aware of your surroundings has more to do with just being alert, and it is very easy to get tired and not be alert.

And things happen, we may be unaware we upset someone like you said. However, in all honesty if you are alert in the first place even that will rarely happen!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixbob View Post
    It is a real deal here. There have been a few people shot and killed here in Phoenix. I always notice if someone is following me.
    And that will keep you alive, as well as not frequenting places where you know trouble occurs. Being aware is everything, nice!

Case in point, I live in a small town currently- two blocks from my house is a locals bar, they have every football game and pool tables as well as (I have heard) some darn good wings. However, I also know that this place has at minimum 2-3 fights a night. So, instead of going two blocks from my house, I take the time to travel 4 miles or more to a wing place that may or may not have my games, simply because I WILL avoid ALL trouble if at all necessary.
    Rule of Honor

Get back into the car and be ready to drive over the other guy.

I'd rather use a 2,000 pound guided missile than a 9mm.

Senior Moderator
    If they follow me home I go one more block to the Police station and park there.

You can see the Police station from my backyard, so no worries
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I personally would apologize if I had cut somebody off and try to diffuse the situation,if he continues after that I tell him get off my property and call 911,if he attacks I call 1911 and repeat til threat is stopped
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I personally would apologize if I had cut somebody off and try to diffuse the situation,if he continues after that I tell him get off my property and call 911,if he attacks I call 1911 and repeat till threat is stopped

Diffusing is always better, and of course in the end 1911 (or Glock) works at all times!
    Rule of Honor

Not a lot of cross streets in our sub...I know who is behind me, always. If I am followed home, I might not pull into my driveway, if I was certain I was the intended victim.

I'm much safer inside a moving vehicle and on the phone to 911. Additionally, I have a number of neighbors who ARE cops and at any time of the day or night, there is a police car parked outside of several houses...that's where I pull in.

If trapped in my driveway, I open the garage and quickly enter my home area...don't follow me into the garage, because after a demanding and loud warning my weapon WILL come out.

Added to the garage opening, the 125# Rhodesian hears the garage door open and he opens the doorway to the garage and he's there to greet me or meet strangers...now the BG following me home has two problems.

Stay armed...defend the homefront...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Added to the garage opening, the 125# Rhodesian hears the garage door open and he opens the doorway to the garage and he's there to greet me or meet strangers...now the BG following me home has two problems.
    Yes having a dog (especially one like that) can help. I love my rottweilers!
    Rule of Honor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links