Someone hiding in the WRONG truck!

This is a discussion on Someone hiding in the WRONG truck! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the Wal Mart in Mesa a few hours ago. I got to the store just before sunset, and parked in a handicapped ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Someone hiding in the WRONG truck!

I was at the Wal Mart in Mesa a few hours ago. I got to the store just before sunset, and parked in a handicapped space (Yes, I have my placard). I got my 4 1/2 year old daughter out of her car seat and gave her the "Behavior At Wally World" speech. Apparently, I didn't lock my Tahoe, or I mistakenly hit the UNLOCK button instead.

I went into the store got an electric cart as my legs don't work well any more, bought ammo, a treat for the munchkin, and some other sundries on the list my wife gave me.

By the time I left, it was fully dark. My little one and I headed out to the Tahoe on the electric cart. Per my usual habit before I let anyone open the passenger compartment of the truck or I hit the UNLOCK button which not only unlocks the vehicle, but turns on the interior lights, I checked out the rear cargo area and the seating area.

I stepped back, put my daughter behind me, and drew my Glock 30 and pointed it at the rear passenger window. With my left hand, I called 911 on my cell while still covering the window.

There was a strange person lying across the floorboards in the back seat of my truck! The person was hiding between the second and third row of seats.

I gave the 911 operator a complete description of myself and my daughter, and informed her I would be moving to a spot of cover and concealment behind a full size Ford pickup in the next spot.

I remained on the line with her, and let her know that I would holster my pistol when the officers got into the parking lot, and that because of my handicap, I was unable to safely withdraw any further, as my legs were about done for, and to try to get back on the electric cart would expose myself, or worse, my daughter to whomever it was hiding in the back of my Tahoe.

Officers were on scene within 3 minutes. As promised, I holstered my Glock when the officers pulled up. I asked the first officer, a female, to please put my daughter into her cruiser, and then I would be happy to answer any and all of their questions.

Two male officers then extracted the idiot who was hiding in my truck. It turns out it was a whacked out female hooker who had been panhandling earlier in the parking lot and was asked to leave.

She got read the riot act by the officers about how she very nearly got shot full of large holes (Boy that's the truth!), and was arrested for illegal entry, and possession of narcotics, and some warrants.

I spoke with the female officer, who was the RO of record. I told her I was a retired cop, and that I had a permit for my pistol. I was never asked for my pistol OR my permit. All neccessary contact info was taken, and I was on my way.

It was handled extremely professionally by all the officers who responded.

Shame on my dumb self for not making sure the locks were locked. But amen for the fact that I STILL check the car before I open it, even after all these years.

My daughter talked about getting to be in the "police car" all the way home.

Except for the locks...

Good observations, nice response, great way to cover your daughter, nice call and info to the cops.
    Nice ending...no one hurt.

Job well done!

Stay armed...stay alert (you certainly did)...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great job dude! Yeah, you forgot the locks, but everyone has a brain-fart once in while.
    The important thing is that you were aware, kept a cool head, and were ready to act if necessary. Well done!
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Sounds like you did pretty good to me. I'd try manually checking the doors from now on. +1 on checking the backseats. I'd check real good that she didn't "leave" anything behind.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Yup electric locks can be bad I have had mine activated by pressure from change in my pocket,luckily i heard the click and checked them.Good situational awareness tho
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I couldn't think of a better way to handle this situation myself.

Who needs a lock when you've got a Glock?

Biker

Just another fine reason to avoid WalMart!
    You handled the situation perfectly, congratulations.
    Try to explain a whacked-out hooker toting narcotics in your back seat to your wife!!!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Nice job. Glad no one was hurt, least of all you or your daughter.

I usually park by the Garden section whenever I go to Walmart. For some reason, people don't seem to like parking all the way out there. This gives me plenty of empty spaces (usually) around me as I usually have at least one of my toddlers with me.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Sounds like you handled it well. Did anyone see you with your pistol drawn in the parking lot at all? What Wal-Mart was it?

BTW - that was an excellent move to put your daughter behind you. Thats the same thing I would do with my wife and son if I ever came across a situation like that.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Was this the Superstition Springs Wal-Mart? I've been seeing more and more sketchy people hanging around there lately. Maybe it's the holidays coming up.

Anyway, it seems you and the LEO's handled it perfectly. Everyone came out unharmed, and the offender went to jail. Good job.

Administrator
    I've actually been the responding LEO on a few calls just like yours...I hate druggies and drunks with a passion.

Sounds like you did well, how did your youngin' handle it? Like any 4 year old, I am sure she had a ton of questions. It would be interesting to hear her take on things.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is why people under the influence of mind altering substances are so dangerous,their thought processes are misfiring and with drug induced psychosis can attack without warning
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Good situational awareness! Sounds to me like you did everything right. Glad to hear it worked out ok for you and your daughter.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Wow! you really can get anything at Wal-Mart.

Good job. You pushed the wrong button but followed your routine and it worked well for you.
    I always listen for the horn when I lock my SUV, drives my wife crazy but I know it's locked.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 31st, 2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Removed an ethnic comment.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Another reason that I do not have any electrical convenience accessories on my truck other than my radio and Sirius Satellite.

Good job. I admit, it never occurred to me about someone hiding in the vehicle (that only happens in Hollywood), if they broke in, they take what they want and leave. Another habit to form.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links