Not a scenario, but a CCW by-product

This is a discussion on Not a scenario, but a CCW by-product within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just wanted to point out a little benefit of this "aware" lifestyle that we practice. Like a lot of people, when stopped in traffic ...

I just wanted to point out a little benefit of this "aware" lifestyle that we practice. Like a lot of people, when stopped in traffic I stay back from the preceding vehicle far enough that I can escape if necessary. Recently, I got rear-ended while stopped at a red light. It was a pretty good whack, but fortunately neither the offending driver nor I were hurt.

When relating the story to friends, almost every one asked "Did you get pushed into the car in front of you?" I didn't, fortunately, thanks to the extra "cushion" I use.

This "condition yellow" - look around - pay attention attitude probably pays off in other ways more often than it does for SHTF scenarios.

SSKC

Assistant Administrator
    That is a very valid point - both re CCW and with regard to getting rear-ended.

I too try and maintain a ''buffer'' zone, well most of time, tho have to be careful to keep it discreet as some drivers that come up behind get hot under the collar if they think you have left 6" too much space in front. Not to be tried on some major beltways at commute time!

At redlights tho yes - best done as best one can - and have an escape route in mind too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I like the idea of a buffer zone too. The only trouble is that someone (who cannot judge distance) is bound to decide they will fit right into the space you leave.

I always use a the buffer zone also. I did an advanced driving course in the UK and it was required that when I stop at a light I be able to see the rear tires of the vehicle in front. That's mostly for extra space in case I'm rearended, but it also works out for an escape zone.

A few years back my wife and I were driving near our house. 5 cars in a row all pulled out of a sidestreet in front of me in convoy fashion, ignoring the stop sign, and the last 2 weren't going to make it without cutting me off. I honked at them to let them know I was there and approaching at 55mph. I wound up in the middle of the group. When we stopped at the next red light the driver of the car in front of me got out and ran towards my door yelling at me asking what I was honking about, trying to open the door. I used the extra space to drive around his car on the right and through the red to safety.

If I had parked too close the get away then I would have been stuck there until he moved. If he wanted a confrontation then he would have gotten it. If I was armed then my only defense would be to shoot. You think he's gonna be gentlemanly and let me get out of the car safely to discuss things? Remebering he has at least 4 friends with him.

I a teaching the fourth child to drive. I make certain she knows how to leave a safe zone around the car. The state troopers who have tested the other three all mentioned they kept plenty of room around the car to allow driving out of a bad scenario. It all pays off in more ways than we think it does.

Lead Moderator
    I've always tried to use a buffer at traffic lights, more for an escape route than anything else.

One of the things that ticks me most on the road is trying to leave a buffer in moving traffic, and having some jerk pull into it just to get ahead of you.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I find that if you leave just enough room from the car in front so that you can see his rear wheels, then you have the room to manuever around him.

It's one more excellent reason to own a 4x4 SUV or truck. Vehicle clearance will allow you to take emergency evasive action in possibly jumping the curb or in an extreme emergency, by engaging the 4x4 and simply PUSHING a vehicle out of the way.

Remember, if you run into a situation that makes this latter option necessary, always aim for the center of the rear wheel (when trying to move a vehicle that is positioned 90 degrees to your own) and hit it solidly, rather than a nudge or "push" A tap will jar the treads loose and because you're pushing directly on the lighter axis of the vehicle, it will pivot out of the way nicely.

If you have to shove from directly behind, a beefy 4x4 will do the job even if the other driver is STANDING on the brakes!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    If you have to shove from directly behind, a beefy 4x4 will do the job even if the other driver is STANDING on the brakes!
    Just gotta add to this - which is true - how many times in movies the bad guys are pushing a vehicle into the path of an oncoming train.

The victim car is frantically either trying to use brakes or reverse gear - when all the time a foot to floor in a fwd gear would escape the train, and the BG's .!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links