Avoided a situation last night.

This is a discussion on Avoided a situation last night. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was hanging out with my best friend (a cop) and his GF last night and they decided to go to a bonfire party, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoided a situation last night.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar

I was hanging out with my best friend (a cop) and his GF last night and they decided to go to a bonfire party, so naturally since we were in my friend's car I went along. I was dressed in BDU's with black patches covering my insignia (it is my uniform from a volunteer military auxiliary, so since I didn't want to take off the patches just for one night, so I covered them up with black Velcro tape). Anyway, it is dark, the bonfire is burning and there are at least 50 people there drinking, some in costumes of course, music going, blah, blah, blah. So I'm there talking to my friends and this guy from about 12 feet away asks me if I'm in the military. So I tell him no, and then he asks me in an unfriendly tone why am I wearing a uniform (I thinking "um, hello dummy, it's Halloween and this does not look like a uniform"). I sense he's trying to start something, so I ignore him and continue talking to my friends. After a while my friends says that that guy is staring and seems to be coming closer and closer to us. The last thing I want is a confrontation. I am carrying my PPS with two extra mags, a couple folders, a sheath knife, three flashlights, and OC. I was carrying light(er) as the BDU's fit close, not giving me enough room to carry my M&P. So I go back to the car and take off my blouse and cover, and put on a blue sweater. Pretty bad when you have to disguise your costume. Anyway, the rest of the time I kept an eye on this guy with one hand on my OC and the other on my 235+ lumen Surefire w/strike bezel. I was glad when we left a short while later. I'm thinking maybe he served and/or had friends who served and some where killed or something and the beer was making me a big deal and he felt that he needed to teach me a lesson in respect or something.

I did not like the whole thing at all. Having some macho, perhaps drunk, idiot trying to start some sort of "honor" fight with me while I was armed (or not) is not on my list of things to do. I can see how a taser would have been a good option at that point if he tried doing something as I'm not sure OC would have worked as well as hoped in that situation and the gun would have been "overkill" in a sense. Knives could have had their place as well. I would have preferred to have left then or not even have been there in the first place (party sucked anyway).

Thoughts on the courses of action available should this have escalated?
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    I am carrying my PPS with two extra mags, a couple folders, a sheath knife, three flashlights, and OC. I was carrying light(er) as the BDU's fit close, not giving me enough room to carry my M&P.

Thoughts on the courses of action available should this have escalated?
    Good god, did you have your Annie Oakley secret decoder ring too?

Best course of action was to avoid action as you did, you won't win in a situation like that, it always ends up bad.

Here is a question for you to think about; had you got into the tussle, would you have been able to maintain control over your wheel barrel full of weaponry?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Your course of action was the best course of action for the situation. However, I understand being prepared, but carrying this much equipment doesn't seem "reasonable". At least that's what they'll say in court if you ever get into a defensive situation and have to answer for your actions. To each is own, but you might think about carrying enough gear to be prepared but not so much that a "reasonable" person might think you were looking for trouble.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Let's see, bonfire w/alcohol, babes; about 50 people; I think there's gonna be at least one situation.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I'd say you handled the situation about right.

You lost the right to get in to arguments and defend "honor" when you decided to pack a gun for self protection. It is afterall a "tool of last resort". By you changing your clothing you showed that you were willing to avoid a confrontation.

The only comment I have is regarding three flashlights. If you can pack that many flashlights you could pack a second gun. I routinely carry three guns and reloads with no problem. I've never given thought to carry of a BUF (Back Up Flashlight).

Again, congrats for doing the best thing one can do in this situation, avoiding the "situation".

Biker

... (it is my uniform from a volunteer military auxiliary, so since I didn't want to take off the patches just for one night, so I covered them up with black Velcro tape). ...
    A "volunteer military auxiliary".

Why did you have to cover your insignia, is it a double naught secret organization?

- OS

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post

Why did you have to cover your insignia, is it a double naught secret organization?

- OS
    Well......he could TELL you, but THEN.....

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Let's see, bonfire w/alcohol, babes; about 50 people; I think there's gonna be at least one situation.
    Exactly. Best to avoid such places while armed. Imagine how this walking arsenal of weaponry would have looked in court if the worst case scenario had become reality.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post

- OS
    I'm guessing Civil Air Patrol or something similar.

I also would have a problem with someone wearing a military uniform as a costume...regardless of covering up the patches. I also think that if a fight started and the patches came off...not good in representing the organization you are with.

Armed as you were leaves me to believe you were in the back of your mind hoping something might happen at the bonfire...and you could come to the rescue.

Rick

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post

I also would have a problem with someone wearing a military uniform as a costume...regardless of covering up the patches.
    Me too. In the olden days, it was a huge no no to wear any type of work uniform out and about too. I hear things have changed a little on that in recent years, maybe a current member will fill us in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Mmmmm...50 people, add 300 glasses of liquid 'stupid' = lots of trouble...guaranteed.
    I avoid such situations, always.

Stay armed...stay away from people filled with 'liquid stupid'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I realized things had gotten bad in So Fla, but didn't realize you needed to prepared to repel an invasion force!
    Changing out of the BDU shirt to avoid problems was the way to go. As someone with a gun, you do whatever you need to do to disarm a situation. Remember the gun on your hip is the last resort.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I'm guessing Civil Air Patrol or something similar.

I also would have a problem with someone wearing a military uniform as a costume...regardless of covering up the patches. I also think that if a fight started and the patches came off...not good in representing the organization you are with.

Armed as you were leaves me to believe you were in the back of your mind hoping something might happen at the bonfire...and you could come to the rescue.

Rick
    +1 You took the words right out of my mouth.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Avoidance is the rule.

Remember the rule about not carrying in taverns is probably only 95% concerned with someone getting drunk, out-of-control and shooting people. The other 5% has to be a little help in protecting the shooter from other, possibly out-of-control, combative drunks (who you know will be there). Better to have a fist fight, bloody noses and blackeyes, than a bunch of dead folks and the associated legal problems.

Just my point of view.

I was carrying light(er) as the BDU's fit close, not giving me enough room to carry my M&P.
    Can you imagine what he'd carry with baggy pants or more pockets?

Just kidding. You go get 'em!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links