Boston Confrontation,2nd Day of C.C

This is a discussion on Boston Confrontation,2nd Day of C.C within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So this is what, I experienced this morning; I was in Somerville MASS, which has turned into a ruff City just outside of Boston. This ...

Thread: Boston Confrontation,2nd Day of C.C

Boston Confrontation,2nd Day of C.C

So this is what, I experienced this morning; I was in Somerville MASS, which has turned into a ruff City just outside of Boston. This is the town that I grew up in, more or less around the fall of the notorious Winter Hill Gang. (Irish mob). The city started going to crap in my early teen years. This town is now known for it MS-13 gang and there high percentages of teen drug use and teen suicide. But on the other hand the very short commute to Boston has made the town attractive to what the town's people call "YUPPYS"
    Now don’t really drive through this town much anymore, but today I had to pick up my moms friend. I was in my car at about 0725 this morning stopped at a red light on a main access street at a well known intersection. I was minding my own business, listening to my satellite radio, I had my seatbelt on, and the window was down smoking a butt. On my right side there was a young man, 5/8 140lbs he was sitting up against a convince store wall, blue sweatshirt, blue jeans, hair uncombed, and a red bandana on his right arm. He was strung out. He was doing the famous heroin nod with his head. I paid him no attention. He started yelling at me in gibberish. Soon enough on my right side another young man. Blue jeans, 5'10 180, in a green Celtic jersey with no sleeves, starts to approach my Car, in a very discreet manner almost like he was crossing the street, He stated "don’t mind him he is looking to get his ass kicked" He started to approach my window. My right hand went right on the grip of my M&P 40.S&W. I firmly told him to not approach, as I said this to him, I though if some thing was to happen I would not be able to draw fast enough to protect my self, I did not have time to roll my widow up, I placed my arm across the window as a defense if some thing was to come through it. So I quickly grabbed the Spit fire pepper spray I bought my wife, I figured I would spray him and drive off. He did stop, and just looked at me! And I looked at him. I did not break eye contact, now I am 5'6 160lb in a shirt and Tie, professional work cloths, (looking like an easy target). I could see it in his eyes he was making a decision in his head. The light turned green and I went on my way, I pulled over called 911 informed them that there was a junky calling people out of his car for a fight, and that there was another male there as well approaching peoples cars. Needless to say, I think the decision he made in his head was a smart one. It seemed like the longest red light in the world.

I believe they where trying to rob me, I think that the junky would call people out and if they got out the other would jump them, or in my case the junky would act threatening the other would come off as a friend to get closer to my window, to rob me.
    I am so glad I moved my wife and 2 year old 40 miles from the city to the woods. Things have changed.
    So how did I do? Remind you this is the second day that I have been carrying concealed, I just got my license on Wednesday, picked up the M&P Friday, and this all went down Saturday.
    Last edited by Scott; November 2nd, 2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: fixed a typo

2. Remove Ads

Was there a lot of traffic? I think I would hav just ran the light or turned right pulled a U and turned again. Sounds like you did good though.

No no traffic! Just me at the light.

VIP Member
    Heck with the red light, if traffic isn't an issue just leave the intersection. I wasn't there and probably an over-simplification on my part, nevertheless you came out alright.

It is funny how red lights tend to "train" us. One night about 3 am in a small town, I got really sick and my wife and I decided I needed to go to the ER. On the drive there I could tell she was stopping for a red light. I was feeling really bad and glanced out the car and there wasn't another vehicle in sight, the little town was dead. I told her to just go, she hesitated and stammered but went through the light somewhat against her driving instinct. At the time I knew every leo on the force, had they seen us, they'd just went to the ER with us to see about me. That was nearly 30 years ago, and I use that story with her to remind her if she feels threatened at an interesection and can safely leave the area to do it.

Running a red light is lesser of a problem than bullet holes or car-jacking.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I guess Pavlov knew what he was talking about. We are conditioned from a young age that red means stop and it's hard to overcome that conditioning. Some of the older folk on the forum may remember when they first came out with the right on red. When you made those first right turns you felt like the police were hiding on every street corner waiting to nail you. I was a little young then but I remember my mother always checking the rear view mirror after she did it, thinking the cops were gonna get her.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

I would have run the light in a heart beat, and I would not have engaged in any conversation with the potential perp.
    Being armed was definitely in your favor.
    Glad you're able to post to this forum at 3 A.M. from your home instead of from an ER.

Stay armed...watch those bad 'hoods'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    spooter, there are some here that remember when stop lights went up!

Sounds like the OP did a good job in handling the situation.

Since you just picked up your gun on Friday, have you fired it to insure it functions properly and feeds your defensive ammo? How many rounds did you run through it, both practice and defensive ammo?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I kind of chuckle...one distracts you while the other (or more) goes for the kill. Good SA on your part to notice the threat...but CCing does not make one bullet proof. Been lots of discussions here about traffic...if traffic had been around such as a car in front of you...what would you have done? As for me, I constantly look for 'outs'. Also...stopped with the window down is an invite...

Rick

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you did well, however I agree, if no traffic present run the red. If you are no longer there the BG can't get you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

jfl
    My wife was driving through Riviera Beach (bad part of town) around 11 pm coming back home after visiting me at the hospital.
    The light turned red, she stopped. A police car came alongside, motionned to open the window and he told my wife: "Lady, here at this time of night, you don't stop at red lights !".
    She was shocked, we are so used to do things without thinking and that's how you get in situations you don't like.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Thanks all for the responses. Every thing went on so quick, but seamed so long. I should have ran the light, I have not yet had a full chance to fully break in my M&P but, I have conducted a function check, 50 rounds of defensive and practice ammo. All my equipment was bought at 9am Friday hit the rage in afternoon. I work overnight!

I'd be putting more rounds downrange before trusting that gun, or any gun.

My protocol is 500 rounds of practice ammo and 200 rounds of carry ammo. If I have any malfunctions with the carry ammo I solve that problem and then start over at round one for the carry ammo.

As far as the driving through a Red Light. Heck yes! Even a ticket for running a red light is cheaper than having to defend your actions in a shooting. Anything you can do to avoid getting involved in a shooting is a plus in my book.

The best way to win a gunfight is to not get in one. Good job on the situational awareness and calling 911.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Also...stopped with the window down is an invite...Rick

Absolutely!! In the summer my AC is on and the windows are therefore UP and in the winter the heater is on and the windows are UP.

Links