Defensive Carry banner

Met and threatened while walking out of house

5K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  Bark'n 
#1 ·
I am a student at a large private school. We have campus housing and a campus security force that is made up of mostly students that are licensed security guards in the state of Texas, the chief and a few of the officers are licensed peace officers. One of my friends is a security guard and lives in gated campus housing with his family, the apartment complex was bought by the school about five years ago and the neighborhood around it has grown increasingly violent. Last week he was walking out to his car to report for the beginning of his shift, after he locked his apartment door he was met by five young males, who proceeded to tell him what his name was, what time he went to work, what his children's name's are, where they go to school, what time his wife was home alone, and what time he came home from work. they also told him they knew that he did not have a CHL or a weapon in the house, and he did not have a cell phone on him and that the other guards were on the other end of the campus and could not make it back in time to save him or his family. They told him to leave the gangs alone and to not call the local PD. At this point they left. The school has moved him and his family to another location on campus. If you were in this situation what would you have done if you were armed? Also what would suggest for him to do at this point. Needless to say my SA is up a couple of notches due to the fact that my family and I live in one of the ungated complexes that the school owns. Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
If this is true exactly as reported here...if financially capable, HE NEEDS TO MOVE...NOW. Now for the important part of that...NO ONE at the school should know where. He needs to make sure that no one is aware of his new address for a while. He can have the Post Office hold his mail for him to come to pick up instead of delivering to the new address etc... And yes, the authorities need to be involved and they may cover some of this if deemed necessary.

Those guys have WAY too much info on him. So there's a couple of things probably going on. 1) it's clear they are watching and tracking him. 2) they have someone inside at the school.

Stay safe.

#37 ·
If this is true exactly as reported here...if financially capable, HE NEEDS TO MOVE...NOW. Now for the important part of that...NO ONE at the school should know where. He needs to make sure that no one is aware of his new address for a while. He can have the Post Office hold his mail for him to come to pick up instead of delivering to the new address etc... And yes, the authorities need to be involved and they may cover some of this if deemed necessary.

Those guys have WAY too much info on him. So there's a couple of things probably going on. 1) it's clear they are watching and tracking him. 2) they have someone inside at the school.

Stay safe.

I have learned from many deployments, a UPS store (or other company) is a godsend. All of my mail goes there, when I deploy or move like I am about to, I keep the mailbox and have it forwarded by the UPS store every other week. A year and a half in Afghanistan and no one knew that I didn’t work with or was a close friend. Even if you have my address off bills or anything you will only get as far as a mailbox. You have to physically follow me or be real good at police work to find where I actually live. A lot of the Full Time RV retired community does the same thing, as they arrive at a new resort they have their mail sent to them by the UPS Store. No mailbox at my actual home for someone to rifle through to get my info.

This sounds fishy one way or the other, if true I would have to ask myself is he a real close friend. If he isn’t it sounds like trouble for you and yours waiting to happen. If he is a close friend in need, I would take serious precautions before getting involved, because if they are following him that close and you start working with him do you want your family in the same boat.

Also as SIXTO said -
He needs to move out of the area and lay low, and at the same time, the heat needs turned up on the gang by the police not campus security.

#6 ·
What Pack and Sixto wrote.

However, somehow the story sounds a bit contrived to me. Not that I think it couldn't have happened like that, but just that I think such would be a very risky move for those doing the confrontation; hence they would find other safer ways to send the same message. But, who ever said bad guys were smart--- so I'm just thinking out loud on this one.

Also, I am curious as to which school in Texas this might be. In which city? Do the local police there have the ability and resources to deal with this, if it is real?

#7 ·
However, somehow the story sounds a bit contrived to me. Not that I think it couldn't have happened like that, but just that I think such would be a very risky move for those doing the confrontation; hence they would find other safer ways to send the same message. But, who ever said bad guys were smart--- so I'm just thinking out loud on this one.
This is what I thought at first too, and there may be a little bit of creative fiction here, I dont know. Generally speaking, campus security doesnt get to involved in the depths of organized crime or any crime for that matter. Why would a gang waste its time with a powerless security guard? But I do know that a strong gang will test its limits doing stupid things like this. If they do have an inside person, they probably feel pretty strong and will be more willing to pull stunts like this. Thats why a third party needs to crank the heat up on them right now.

#8 ·
Humm...

"after he locked his apartment door he was met by five young males, who proceeded to tell him what his name was, what time he went to work, what his children's name's are, where they go to school, what time his wife was home alone, and what time he came home from work. they also told him they knew that he did not have a CHL or a weapon in the house, and he did not have a cell phone on him and that the other guards were on the other end of the campus and could not make it back in time to save him or his family. They told him to leave the gangs alone and to not call the local PD. "

That is a lot of surveillance & inteligence gathering...

What is your pal into or onto that he merits so much effort?

Gambling? Drugs? Women he should not be sleeping with?

What has he not told you about his life?

In my experience, it is what you haven't been told that is the crucial facts. I'd be very wary of diving right in to help out, because you may find yourself inside something you didn't know about.

I'm not saying don't help...just when he asks if you would mind going with him to meet some people...and would you mind bringing your handgun with you, just in case...or when he ask you to stay over some nights with a rifle...

That's when you have that thing you just HAVE to do...that time critical thing you forgot about.

For your mother.

You know. That thing...

#31 ·
I am with you on this one, and I also think it is possible for something like that to actually happend.

Now for the answerer what would I do if I had a pistola, well I would show it to them and shortly after I would reply "perhaps there are many things you don't know about me". Most likly they were bluffing, I doubt they had a man inside if they did they would have done something else.
Thats my take on it.

#10 ·
The family (wife and kids) would be my immediate concern. They will be back to intimidate more to force the security guard into a compromising position. Moving somewhere else on campus will only make it a matter of time. I think he needs to get his family out of harms way...far away.

Rick

#11 ·
yeah if they have this much info on him now don't they think these guys are just gonna find him? He needs to get off campus and he needs to get the Police involved. He also should lay low like they said cause these guys could come back and try and force him to help them out on campus or something, cause they've "got his family."

#13 ·
First thing first. He need to let the police know and get the hell out of that neighborhood. Second, he needs to apply for his permit, and buy himself a good self-defense shotty and something else for backup. His immediate concern should be for his wife and family. Maybe they could go to the in-laws during the move time?

I find the story a bit fictional as well but I'll take your word for it. I just find it hard to believe a gang would point out the fact he has no permit, as none of them have permits either.

#14 ·
Questions...

Before I throw a "fiction flag", I have some questions.
*Look for the motivation & follow the money. The gang must have felt strongly compelled (motivation) to protect their interests (money).

What specific threat does a unarmed College Student/Security Officer (non-LEO?) living in a School-Owned Gated Community pose to a neighborhood Criminal Gang & their activities?

What would lead the gang to believe that this guy wasn't going to "leave the gangs alone"?

Had he any prior involvement in the gang's investigation or prosecution?

Is the gang active in any other parts of Campus property or function?

Why would the gang risk appearing; with pre-determined timing, in a group of five non-residents, inside this Gated Community to deliver this intimidation?

Why would the gang go to the time/effort of first accumulating & then divulging this obviously detailed intel?

Gangs, just like any other organization, don't spend time/resources or risk potentially negative exposure for no anticipated gain. My view? There's GOT to be more to the story than we're gettin' or it's just simply that...a story. In the event that all the details are full & accurate, your friend needs to move, disappear, gear-up & man-up. His FIRST priority must be the safety of his family...period.

#15 ·
Gang members don't go after uninvolved people in most cases.

Doing so brings a lot of heat down on them, and unless the profit is great enough, they won't do it.

The go after other gang members, but in those cases "nobody sees anything" even if they did; go after a civilian and you have witnesses, police heat, ectra...

Either the story is fiction, or the guard is up to his neck in something he should not be into.

Wanna keep the family safe? Don't get involved with gang members.

#17 ·
Watch the movie Death Sentence.
Why? It is, in your experience, an accurate representation of gang-related activity? Or is it - what can happen with "wrong place @ wrong time" in the worst scenerio? I watched it. The lead goodguys happened upon a criminal trainwreck & got tangled in the mess. The related occurance above is, as I understand, an uninvolved Campus Security Officer (CSO) being informed by a neighborhood gang that they; had done extensive recon specifically on him, knew he & his family's vital personal details, and threatened to illicitly use that knowledge against him IF this uninvolved CSO didn't "leave the gangs alone". It's not, as far as I can read, like the CSO had ever previously crossed their path. That's the confusing part for me.

#18 ·
As far as I know he is into nothing that would warrant the attention, however I am not going to make the claim that I know everything about the situation as I was not present. Yes the police have the ability to handle this if things continue to escalate. I would agree that normally a campus security officer would not be involved in things of this magnitude, however our security gets along very well with the local PD and have been called to back them up on a few occasions. For the last few years gang violence has increased around the school, to the point that our security cars all have car mounted 12 Ga. Thanks for the ideas, and comment. I agree with mitchellct about that thing that I have to do if the above scenarios play out.

#20 ·
Now, how exactly would they know he doesn't have a concealed carry permit, and doesn't own a gun?

In recent years various states have moved to keep the names of license holders secret? No one would know whether or not there was a shotgun in the house under any circumstances, unless the "friend" had given that information out, perhaps unknowingly or as part of some job application with the college.

Yup, the security guard needs to help him mom out right now.

#21 ·
Yup, the security guard needs to help him mom out right now.
Um...no.

I don't think you understand.

If the guy being harassed by gang members suddenly calls you asking for you to "help him out with something...and, you know...bring your gun..." or "invites you over to stay a while...and bring a rifle or shotgun..." then you should have something important to do instead.

Anything else.

#28 ·
I did not bother reading the rest of the posts after #20.

Does this guy also go by the name of Gecko45?

#30 ·
So 5 bangers put together FBI-NSA level surveillance on this measly campus security guard? Like everyone else said, either this guard is much more involved then known to us, or part to all of the story is just that, a story.

#32 ·
So 5 bangers put together FBI-NSA level surveillance on this measly campus security guard?
It aint rocket science. Something as simple as a work application could have provided the required info. Perhaps the guys posts on Facebook or myspace or something of that nature. You'd be suprised what one can read on some of those sites.

One guy watching the house for any amount of time could have figured out when he,she was there and and when they werent.

#34 ·
I realize this, in today's age the internet could get you all that info without even leaving your house maybe except for the kids names and schools, what I was getting at was why would a gang even waste the time on a random guard getting such information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.