Would there ever be an instance where you'd "save one for yourself?"

This is a discussion on Would there ever be an instance where you'd "save one for yourself?" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by celticredneck Only if the invading Aliens had ne cornered and were going to put their alien larvae down my throat to eat ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would there ever be an instance where you'd "save one for yourself?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    Only if the invading Aliens had ne cornered and were going to put their alien larvae down my throat to eat me from the inside out as it grows.
    Ok, now that is just gross.

2. Remove Ads

I was contemplating doing just that after the election....

Quote Originally Posted by Demeo2169 View Post
    Never save one for my self, My family needs my Life insurance!!!
    EXCELLENT POINT...heck I've been paying for it, might as well let them cash it in. My wife and kinds need it, therefore I'll go out in a blaze of glory.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Would there ever be an instance where you'd "save one for yourself?"
    No.

My view might provide an interesting contrast to other posters who have noted that they do not want to go to Hell because they committed suicide. I am not religious, though I cannot rule out the possibility of the existence of God. From my perspective, it is likely that when I die, that is it, there is nothing.

This is a perfect reason to stay alive at all possible costs.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Senior Moderator
    For me, the contemplation comes down to many different things.

As a general principle, heck no. Like I said, (even though I understand the cultural "dying with honor" thinking of the actual scene in the movie I mentioned, I used that only as a reference to what got me thinking) my first response is "go down fighting."

But in considering, there are a couple things came to mind.

A. Do I believe in a fate worse than death?
    B. Is there anything to live for?

Both even grimmer questions, but valid questions just the same.

A. Do I believe in a fate worse than death? YES!!!
    Many of you have mentioned torture, being burned alive, etc. In the prospect of those kinds of fate then, yeah, a bullet might start to look VERY inviting. But I couldn't just say, "I'd rather eat a bullet than burn alive" and not consider my second point...

B. Is there anything to live for?
    At home I have a husband and a child waiting for me who love me and need me, if not for their physical well-being, at least for their emotional well-being. I have a life worth living and living well. I have so much to live for and so much to protect. Even thinking of just "giving up" and letting a couple jerks bullying me into never seeing my family again by my own hand makes me angry. As someone else said, even if I run out of bullets I have an all steel 1911 that makes a fabulous club and if they aren't getting beaten they are at least getting stabbed and they are going to have to kill me good before they are going to get me to stop fighting.

But if my life worth living for were stripped from me.... I honestly don't know if I'd have the drive to keep going.

Let's say all three of us were out together and were attacked. JD and my son were already killed. It would be VERY HARD for me to find a reason to keep fighting, especially if there is a "fate worse than death" awaiting me, knowing what I had to live for, or rather, the lack of it.

I'm not saying I'd definitely check out, as none of us knows exactly what we would do until we were there, but I can't say I could rule it out with certainty.

If facing torture at the hands of those innocent children of the land during our Westward Expansion, or capture by Islamic extremists looking to turn me into their next home video, or Aliens (as in the movie Aliens), or Zombies then yes, I would use the last on myself I believe.

Personally I do not believe in Hell, God or an afterlife. I'd be sorry to see it end but I see no point in having the final minutes/hours/days be nothing but an experiment in excruciating agony and eventual death for their amusement.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    EXCELLENT POINT...heck I've been paying for it, might as well let them cash it in. My wife and kinds need it, therefore I'll go out in a blaze of glory.
    Many policies cover suicide if you have had the policy long enough. It is treated as a mental health cause issue.

I don't think I could do it. Even Oedipus put his eyes out rather than take his own life.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

JD
    Administrator
    Yes.

If I were ever about to be captured by Muslim Extremists...

I have this whole creepy thing about be-heading.

When applying a blood choke, it takes a couple of minutes for brain death to occur, IE the brain can live and function without oxygenated blood flow for a little bit, as the optic nerves go directly to the brain, and the brain is functional I have this creepy suspicion that if your head were to be removed from the body, and land in the correct position, you could actually see your headless body, I want my last moments of awareness to be as peaceful as possible, and I think that looking at my own headless body would negate that.

Like I said, creepy...

^^^ Ok, that is just creepy, and would be the ultimate, out of body experience I guess. Maybe getting eaten by wild animals wouldn't be that bad.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I believe there may be such a scenario, but I don't know what it would be.

Hopefully I'd know if I saw it.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    In cases like a zombie invasion, supernatural monsters
    Well, this is a bit embarrassing to admit, but I happened to catch the spoof "Shaun of the Dead" some time ago, and near the end of that movie there's that exact scenario: Shaun is forced to consider shooting his girlfriend and then himself or else they both risk being bitten by a zombie and enduring the nightmare of becoming members of the living dead.

Can't recall how it turned out. Seems to me that they gave the gun to Shaun's other friend, but as he was being zombified at that moment they didn't get a chance to kill themselves.

Anyway . . . I recall thinking "Well, yeah . . . zombie or death? Death sounds preferable and far less gross. After all the zombie's diet is pretty gruesome, you know."

But until there's a zombie invasion and I'm one of the last people in London and the zombies are breaking into the pub where I've taken refuge . . .

No, no I don't think so. I'll use that last bullet to defend the life of another. And then I'll throw the gun at somebody else. Oh, and somebody earlier mentioned using the last bullet as an opportunity to take away an aggressor's weapon and then use that. Another fine idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    When applying a blood choke, it takes a couple of minutes for brain death to occur, IE the brain can live and function without oxygenated blood flow for a little bit, as the optic nerves go directly to the brain, and the brain is functional I have this creepy suspicion that if your head were to be removed from the body, and land in the correct position, you could actually see your headless body, I want my last moments of awareness to be as peaceful as possible, and I think that looking at my own headless body would negate that.
    It is my understanding that during that whole French Revolution thing that they had a guy assigned to pick up the head immediately after the guillotine dropped. More often than not the eyes would be looking around, the mouth open in a wordless scream.

*shudder*

Man, I just gave myself the creeps. Thanks a lot, JD.

I would not absolutely rule it out, but it is very difficult to imagine that I would ever be in a situation where I would have to go that way. I'd much rather go down fighting, hoping to take out as many of the BG's as I could. Maybe if I was alone and faced with torture, but really, how likely is that for anybody not in a combat zone faced with an overwhelming number of religous fanatics?

Or in some fantasy world where I had information that it was vital that my enemies not get, but I'm not James Bond either.

If it could somehow protect my family, maybe, but that is also an improbable scenario.

Of course, if the zombies are breaking down my door I'd just McGuiver up a small nuke and take them all out with me.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

cj
    Lots of movie scenarios for this, but it usually comes down the benefiting others rather than my own comfort. Similar to my views on capital punishment: Is the world better off without the person (or me)?

1) You know certain information that will lead to lots of death and destruction, they're not interested in killing you, they're going to capture and drug/torture you, and eventually you WOULD talk.

2) I've been bitten by a zombie/infected person/etc. (depending on the given movie) and will turn into one myself, mindlessly wandering off to kill and harm other people.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links