Would there ever be an instance where you'd "save one for yourself?" - Page 5

Would there ever be an instance where you'd "save one for yourself?"

This is a discussion on Would there ever be an instance where you'd "save one for yourself?" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rev9mm It is my understanding that during that whole French Revolution thing that they had a guy assigned to pick up the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would there ever be an instance where you'd "save one for yourself?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9mm View Post
    It is my understanding that during that whole French Revolution thing that they had a guy assigned to pick up the head immediately after the guillotine dropped. More often than not the eyes would be looking around, the mouth open in a wordless scream.

*shudder*

Man, I just gave myself the creeps. Thanks a lot, JD.
    Ditto that! I saw a show on that many moons ago.....the History Channel or something like that.

Yeah.....good visual on your post JD....'preachate that!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

My dad's squad of Marines, or what was left of it, was captured on Guadalcanal. During the firefight prior to his capture, he was shot in the thigh an hand. The other squad members were also wounded. They were all out of ammo.

He told me that during the first night of their capture he wished he had saved one for himself.

The interrogation by his captors included pulling several of his teeth w/pliers.

Through sheer luck, they were rescued the next day.

He spent more time in the hospital from the wounds inflicted after his capture than from the two GS wounds.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Depending on the circumstances I might. I would prefer to think of myself as going down similar to Jack Hanson.
    Korean War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient Pfc. Jack Glennon Hanson, US Army
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Moderator
    Never in a civilian situation I can think of...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I don't count my rounds. I don't keep a Barney Fife round in my front pocket with my name on it.

I may be aware of the fact that I am on my last mag, but I will habitually try to fire as accurately as possible in tactical order until slide lock. In any real life civilian possibilities that I can come up with (and I have a pretty strong imagination) I am going to be spending any spare time I have looking for an advantage or escape rather than checking to see how many rounds I have left.

At slide lock, then they are either going to kill me, of if their intent is to capture, I will make them kill me if there is no possibility of escape.

I shall not go willingly or submit to anything I don't want.

As far as Lima's WCS of her family being gone, then vengeance will be mine.
    Last edited by JD; November 7th, 2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Don't advertise. ;)
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

here's my take

I believe that suicide is a selfish act. besides that, it might hurt. i don't like hurt. i'd go down fighting. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    My dad's squad of Marines, or what was left of it, was captured on Guadalcanal. During the firefight prior to his capture, he was shot in the thigh an hand. The other squad members were also wounded. They were all out of ammo.

He told me that during the first night of their capture he wished he had saved one for himself.

The interrogation by his captors included pulling several of his teeth w/pliers.

Through sheer luck, they were rescued the next day.

He spent more time in the hospital from the wounds inflicted after his capture than from the two GS wounds.
    this is prob. the case when i would save one for myself!!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I think the honest answer is that, even in a situation where it might be a good choice, I wouldn't have the guts to pull the trigger on myself.

To frame it in a more positive light, I will appeal to anyone around here who has read a fair amount of Heinlein. I once saw what I consider to be a great description of the Heinleinian hero: the person who will do whatever he has to do to live for another five minutes (or two, or one, or even a few seconds), because in that extra time, some other option could present itself.

So, for me, I think the answer is no. Even if I saved a round for myself, I'd probably end up using it on a badguy.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Only at Thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    To frame it in a more positive light, I will appeal to anyone around here who has read a fair amount of Heinlein.
    Did any of Heinlein's characters ever burn to death? Were they tortured? Not that I remember. IIRC, his stories weren't that kind.

I wouldn't mind running out firing, a la Butch Cassidy, and ending up dead in a hail of bullets when I ran out. But not fire, and not torture.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Only if I were engaged in a firefight with Islamic Jihadist, and about to be overwhelmed. I would never want to appear as the "star" in one of their online "let's part this infidel's head from his neck" videos...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

The Mist had a great ending dealing with this..........fight till you can't fight anymore.

VIP Member
    If I got bit by some zombie or something and knew I'd be scouring the Earth searching for some good, tasty, warm, human flesh, then sure...I'd off myself.

However, gwhall57's scenario is plausible for those of us that visit that part of the world.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    To frame it in a more positive light, I will appeal to anyone around here who has read a fair amount of Heinlein.
    I am a Heinlein fan but a fair share of his protagonists were "Supermen."

I only recall one story where torture was covered. In FRIDAY the female protagonist of the same name was captured. She was a courier and as explained they are trained to simply give up everything they knew since everybody understood any information would be obtained with torture anyway. Unfortunately her captors did not understand these rules and the description of what was done to her was the only indepth discussion of torture I ever recall in a Heinlein story. She was only saved by the intervention of external forces and putting her back together was a long and painful process. There was no "save one for yourself" argument because the torture was completely unexpected.

In all other Heinlein fiction people who are captured as never mentioned as being tortured. Even in Starship Troopers, where it is a completely alien hive entity capturing Troopers there is no discussion of what awaits in confinement by them.

Sorry, Heinlein give a pretty glib portrayal of having to make such a serious decision by ignoring the real effects of torture while also avoiding the choice.

No Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove) got into the discussion based on capture by Comanches and Apaches and his analysis was far more in the vein of "Hell Yes!" as opposed to what would await the victim if captured.

In reality I have read enough of the tortures inflicted by the Japanese on American POWs and seen enough more recently with Islamic Militants that I honestly believe the choice is already made in my head.

No way
    bullets get thrown at the BGs not the GGs

Improvise adapt overcome SURVIVE
    A Fully Loaded Pistol Is Useless To The Man Who Has An Empty Magazine Between The Ears.
    G-19 NRA Life Member

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links