Would there ever be an instance where you'd "save one for yourself?"

This is a discussion on Would there ever be an instance where you'd "save one for yourself?" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know it's a pretty grim question and normally I wouldn't even think of it, but I was watching the movie Enter the Dragon and ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would there ever be an instance where you'd "save one for yourself?"

Senior Moderator

I know it's a pretty grim question and normally I wouldn't even think of it, but I was watching the movie Enter the Dragon and there is a pretty lengthy scene where multiple men are chasing a girl through the streets of Hong Kong.

She manages to fight them off, one and two at a time until she's finally cornered in a shed.

She stands in the midst of all these aggressors (I think there are four in that particular scene), picks up a piece of broken glass and ends her own life.

I just shook my head and thought, "Fight, woman! Fight! Least you can do is go down fighting."

But it made me question myself and wonder if there would ever be a point in a fight where I'd give up and "save one for myself."

It's a popular dramatic moment in movies (the over run character realizes he only has one bullet left and he's portrayed staring at the firearm wantingly, deciding whether to use it in the fight or use it for himself) and I wonder how much practicality it really has in real life and how many people would even consider that kind of a scenario and how bad it would have to be before you'd even think about it.

Thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Never. I'm a firm believer in suicide = hell, and nothing is worth that. Plus...if it came to that, I'd take out as many with me as I could...one well placed round could add to that number.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Hi Lima, I've seen that movie!

Some folks make the call to end it. Not me, I'm too stubborn.

If I had 1 round left and there were 5 guys, I figure at least there will be 1 less scumbag to hurt people, then the chips fall where they will. If I'm only left with a piece of glass - well, I can at least make 1 or 2 of em uglier than they already are. Never give up!

Senior Moderator
    If it came between burning alive or jumping from a tall buliding I'd jump.

But one of my favorite sayings is "Dieing is easy, it's living that's hard.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Personally I would hope to take out the closest aggressor with that last round and recover his weapon to continue the fight.

VIP Member
    Absolutely yes, but not in the scenario given by Lima.

I'm thinking that in a post nuclear war world, it might not be worth the effort to continue the struggle with other unfortunate survivors, and therefore prudent to save one for oneself.

I'm shooting the biggest one and take my chances with the rest. "Saving one for yourself" guarantees you'll lose, you never know when help is around the corner. BTW, I also believe suicide is met with eternal consequences.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    It makes for a good movie, but, unless I did something so terribly unspeakable and immoral to somebody, I would'nt even consider it. I'm a good guy at heart and would never hurt anyone unless my life depended on it. Many consider suicide as an easy way out, its just not part of my vocabulary. Nope, not me.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Sounds like a similar situation as that in the movie "The Mist." Everyone ends up suiciding, except the hero, right before help arrives..

I always save shot for myself. I'm a selfish drunk, and I always make sure that I get the last booze in the bottle.

Oh, wait...you mean like suicide in a hopeless situation?

In cases like a zombie invasion, supernatural monsters (except vampires, because I'd actually like to be a vampire...preferably a Tremere or a Lasombra, but anything is really OK provided I am able to commit Diablerie and learn Thaumaturgy...) or killer clowns, hell yes. Good bye. Nighty-night.

In other situations, it's case by case. Usually I have involuntary, irrationally hostile reactions to life threataning situations, so I may not be able to off myself in those cases...but who knows.

My opponent may get lucky.

Absolutely. I've thought about that myself. Given choices between a bullet, or being doused in gasoline and lit(a recent news piece comes to mind), I'd want the bullet!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

1943 - 2009
    If I was the last man alive at Custer's Last Stand, I'd consider it.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

If I was in a situation where I knew that being taken alive would mean being tortured to death,I'm pretty sure I would end it.It would be less painfull than having a drill bit run in your body or nails being pulled out , or being burnt by a torch.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No, I would fight to the bitter end. I would never concede. If someone was trying to kill me they would have to do so. If I was about to be captured and faced torture, I would still fight. What ever happened to me the bad carma would go to the others, not on me. I feel that as long as I am alive there is allways the posibilty that I will survive. I would never give up my life willingly.

In a wartime situation rather than being captured by al qaida types or the viet cong, I think. Stateside fight against scumbags...I doubt it. Would be preferable to being burned alive or some such horror, but I'd probably wait until I was in pain...that make doing the deed easier.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links