What would you do in this situation?

This is a discussion on What would you do in this situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post on here. Been reading alot on here since I am getting my carry permit. Lately I seem to play scenarios ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do in this situation?

What would you do in this situation?

This is my first post on here. Been reading alot on here since I am getting my carry permit. Lately I seem to play scenarios in my head of what would I do in this, or that situation, and when is it ok to draw as a last resort.

As I was driving down the street this morning, I saw a fairly decent sized guy walking down the sidewalk. This scenario popped into my head. What if you were walking down the sidewalk, and passing by a guy coming the other direction. As he gets next to you, he reaches out and grabs you. With him being slightly larger and stronger than you, he get a good hold on you, and he gets you into a near headlock, but you still have your strong gun side away from him, and your gun hand free. What do you do at that point? Try to fight him off? Draw your gun? I would assume that you would never want to be close enough for someone to grab you like that, but assuming you were, and that happened, what would your move be?

2. Remove Ads

Depends on your state laws. Here, you have to convince the legendary "reasonable person" you were in fear for your life to use deadly force.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Getting close to me, perhaps.
    Getting me in a headlock, I doubt it...although for your scenario, I'll go along. I would, first of all, have my hand on OC spray if I noticed someone close to me. As soon as someone puts a hand on me, I'm going to get mighty unfriendly...quickly.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...he's too old to fight, and he's just going to stop the threat...(plain English for 'create new external breathing holes for your body).

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Question

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    (plain English for 'create new external breathing holes for your body).

ret
    What does that mean? I'm confused.

Reach down and pick his feet up of the ground, thereby throwing his head against the concrete sidewalk and more than likely cause me to call 911. You do know how to counter a headlock don't you? CQC tactics seldom involve a gun. You may end up shooting yourself in the side.

I'll post the obligitory situational awareness comment. As retsupt99 said, I don't think I could fathom a situation where someone would be able to get me in a headlock without being able to retreat first.
    But... if that ever did happen I think I would obviously try to disengage from the person, create some distance, and make some loud demand of some sort telling him to stop and desist. If that didn't work and I felt there was a genuine threat of bodily harm or death to me I would fire and keep firing until the threat stopped.
    To me, even though I am relatively young (30) and in pretty decent shape, I don't know which blow to the head is going to be fatal - the first or the tenth and I don't intend on finding out either.

Based on the original post and those details, I would do my best to create some holes. If he is that big, I suspect I could be dead soon if I do not.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    What does that mean? I'm confused.

I believe it means, put bullet holes in said dirt bag, I think

Quote Originally Posted by philman View Post
    I believe it means, put bullet holes in said dirt bag, I think

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A dozen times a day, people are close enough to grab. In a town where one is doing standard-type errands and visiting public businesses, it's cannot be avoided.

The few times I've noted unwarranted attentions being directed at me, I have been able to change direction and maintain distance sufficiently to maintain the choices.

The rare couple of instances that I've had "street" folks approach have almost exclusively been to beg for donations to their problems. None of those were allowed to get close enough.

If someone were to actually lay hands on me? For my money, that person is far too close to effect a draw at that point. I'd first want to remove the person from my body. Every situation's going to be different, of course, but with a larger/stronger person in breathing distance with hands on me, my old H2H steps are going to come into play; little regimented/formal techniques as such, but reasonably effective. If that works, then I hope to draw while gaining as much distance as possible. If not, then it's "game on," in the sense that anything goes. Fingers, heels of the hand, elbows, knees in the wrong places can do a surprising amount of damage, if karma's on your side.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

ret
    I took me a few minutes to try and figure out what the "ret" was, but I soon assumed it was just part of your identity

jfl
    Krav Maga
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    It only takes about 10 seconds to put someones lights out with the right headlock (I wrestled for 13 years including div 1 and did this more than a few times). Who is to say your ever gonna wake up from that? Once you go out it could be death or brain damage! I shoot the guy! That's the nice part about a revo, I can press the gun into his side and cut loose!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

If he started to get that close... I would steer the car to give me latitude. If he made a move, I would accelerate. IF he did grab me.... he's in for one hell of a ride... LMAO.

I remember once where I was 'cornered' in that cars were parked on both sides of the street and barely enough space to get one car down it. 4 men, a lot bigger than I walking down the middle of the street .... so I slowed down. As they got close ... 2 went to each side of the car, and the other 2 were going to stand in front of the car to block me in.

Bad decision.... for them. My foot went to the floor on the gas ..... one guy on one side was barely missed (leaning over the hood ) but the windshield got him... rolled him right up onto the roof, over the trunk, and onto the ground. The other got out the way, and the 2 in front..... well.... I've never seen 2 people move and jump so far , so fast.... barely got out of the way in time.
    I figured it as self-defense.

An older woman (early 70's) stopped at a stop light. 4 guys in the car next to her, 3 got out, one to one side of her car, one to the driver's door , and one stood in front of her car. The one in front of the car was pointing a pistol at her, and the one coming to the driver's door had a gun.

She floored it and ran over the gun in front of the car, killing him. It was ruled self-defense, with no argument from anyone. 4000 lb car won out.

Don't just think of your 'gun' as your only self-defense when you are in a car.

In a bad situation once (attempted car-jack by several youth), one dove in the driver's side window of the car to grab the keys of the car, to prevent the person from escaping. The driver, had a rather large knife and grabbed the guy... putting the knife to his throat and warning him to leave the keys alone... then drove thru all of the group trying to car-jack him to get away. Ruled, self-defense and the perps went to prison.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    IF I was ever stupid enough to allow myself be in such a situation where I was almost in a headlock by a stronger/bigger guy, and I couldn't physically get away (forget OC at this point as it would get both of us, and I'd need a more persuasive method), I would draw a blade (that's why I carry one on each side) and stab/slash parts of his body to get him to release (let me take your kidney out for you, buddy). If this works and I'm able to get free, I'd then retreat if I could. If I'm not able to retreat (it doesn't really help if you run and he is right on your tail and gaining), I'd draw. I'd scream for help (witnesses) while calling the police on my cell phone. I'd tell him to stand back, and if he came at me again, I'd shoot. If the knife (or knives) didn't work, then I'd shoot hard and fast with whatever gun I could get to the fastest. (again, one on each side so I don't have a weakside).

I'd rather use a knife at first because it can be a whole less lethal (and very crippling if going after tendons/muscles) than a gun. I'd see if the situation required a higher escalation of force before drawing a gun. I'd rather see if a little blade work would make him stop rather than just shooting him dead, as I'd prefer to live my life without killing anyone. It's his choice then whether I push it up to lethal force or not.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I'd probably try and draw my gun and put one in his foot., hoping that he would release me and be slow enough afterwards that I could get away so that I could call 911. Barring that, I would go for his crotch., with my hand or with a knife if I was carrying one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links