Memphis - Man Shot & Killed After Answering Door

This is a discussion on Memphis - Man Shot & Killed After Answering Door within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A Memphis man has been killed after answering a knock on his door. What would you do? Memphis Man Shot, Killed after Answering Door|ABC24-CW30 Eyewitness ...

A Memphis man has been killed after answering a knock on his door. What would you do?

Memphis Man Shot, Killed after Answering Door|ABC24-CW30 Eyewitness News | Memphis, TN

You could always just not answer the door. I usually don't answer the door for someone I don't know....especially if its after dark. During the day, I might open the door...but if I do I don't open it all the way. I keep my foot behind the door so it can't be shoved open and I have my pistol on me at all times.

This gets me thinking though....Did the victim not look out a window or peephole? Its not that easy to hide a shotgun, so if he would have looked he probally would have seen it. In that case, I would draw my pistol and get away from the door and call 911 saying there is a man at my door with a gun and I needed help right away before he got inside.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

How do they know what the conversation was? That seems odd.

Other than that, I agree that seeing someone outside the door with a big shotgun is motivation to keep the door shut.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    "The 51 year old died at the scene."

I think if he was dead when police arrived, it would have said so. Maybe he was hanging in a little when police arrived and told them what happened?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Nope, I don't answer the door either. I've even had my doorbell disconnected since we moved in 3 years ago. No one but salesmen ever come by unannounced anyway.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    Someone else had to be in the house to call 911.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; November 8th, 2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

If I don't know you, I don't open the door right away. I usually go out the side of the garage with my Rhodesian Ridgeback leading the way. It catches strangers off guard and their focus is NOT on me.

Me: "Can I help you?"

Stranger(s): "Yeah, call the dog back...please?"

If I do know you, I answer the door with my Kimber in a SOB/IWB holster anyway.

Can't be too careful these days.

Stay armed...even at home...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I answer my door - hard to do anything if caught off guard - I always try to be prepaired - carry even when home - but if someone already has their's out (weapon) you know their gonna be faster than you can get to yours anyway.
    For God, Family and Country!

What would I do? Hope I was a quicker shot.

I answer my door with gun in hand if I don't know who's knocking. Not guaranteed success if someone is intent on shooting me with no warning, but I'll be quicker than if I had to draw.

Quoted the story for those who have slow connections.
    Memphis Man Shot, Killed after Answering Door
    Reported by: Tenikka Smith
    Email: tsmith@myeyewitnessnews.com
    Contributor: Shane Myers
    Last Update: 11/07 6:52 pm

Police and an ambulance on the scene of a man who was shot and killed after answering his door. MEMPHIS, TN – Memphis police say a man was killed after he answered a knock on his door.

According to investigators, it happened in the 1900 block of McCauley around 7:00 p.m., November 6, 2008.

Police say a man walked up to the house and knocked on the door. When the 51 year-old victim answered the door, the man asked him if he was the home owner. Police say the victim answered “yes” and the man shot the victim in the chest with a shotgun.

The 51 year-old died at the scene.

Neighbor James Parks says he heard a gunshot Thursday evening but had no idea it was coming from his neighbor’s home. Parks says, “Think about it. Somebody come to your house, knock on your door [asks] are you a homeowner [then] blowing your brains out …. That’s awful!

Neighbor Daryl Wide says he and the victim were friends. "He was a real nice guy. He didn't bother nobody. He minds his own business and everything."

Investigators say they do not think the two knew each other and do not know the motive for the shooting. The victim’s roommate was home at the time, but told investigators he did not see the incident.

Police say the investigation is ongoing. If you have any information call Crime Stoppers at (901) 528-CASH.

Quote Originally Posted by cop2b View Post
    A Memphis man has been killed after answering a knock on his door. What would you do?
    Ignore the knock. This scenario is one of several reasons why I do NOT answer the door, unless I know for a fact who it is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The story is kinda light on details of what the BG did after the shoot, very weird story, sounds like a hit and he didn't want to get the freeloader/roommate. That guy would be my prime suspect.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

First off, from someone who lives in Shelby County, the area of Memphis that this happened is not a good area. Honestly, not many areas in Memphis are good areas anymore. But this area, I don't think is an area where I would just open my door after dark if someone knocked on it.

Second, this kind of thing is all too common here in Shelby County. Just about the only area where home invasions and other violent crimes are not common in the County is where we live, out in Arlington and Lakeland. The outer parts of the County. (our house is less than one mile from the Shelby/Fayette County line)

As for me, even living in the "safe" area of the County, I carry even when at home, I never answer the door without a gun with me (obviously) and I do not open the door if I don't know who it is and am not expecting someone.

Stay safe, stay alert. Stay alive.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    First off, from someone who lives in Shelby County, the area of Memphis that this happened is not a good area. Honestly, not many areas in Memphis are good areas anymore. But this area, I don't think is an area where I would just open my door after dark if someone knocked on it.

Second, this kind of thing is all too common here in Shelby County. Just about the only area where home invasions and other violent crimes are not common in the County is where we live, out in Arlington and Lakeland. The outer parts of the County. (our house is less than one mile from the Shelby/Fayette County line)

As for me, even living in the "safe" area of the County, I carry even when at home, I never answer the door without a gun with me (obviously) and I do not open the door if I don't know who it is and am not expecting someone.

Stay safe, stay alert. Stay alive.
    I agree that most areas in Shelby county are not areas to just open your door. This is just crazy. Just last week a man walked up into a neighborhood market and shot the owner killing him. Here's the video.
    WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com | Police continue suspect search in market murder

Never answering the door ?? You should not live in that much fear.

I do look out to see who it is, and will answer if they do not have a gun. I do not want to live in constant fear.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    It's not fear. It's merely a simple change in tactics. About as impactful as calling ahead to your nearby restaurant to ensure a table is free, before you assume one is. There's no fear in that; and no fear in this.

You coming to my home? Call, first, announce yourself, then I confirm it's you. You're in. All others, unannounced, are assumed to be solicitors or whatever ... and ignored. Ignored, mind you, not outright feared. Just sidestepped.

It is not fear. It is a simple change in direction that avoids such situations that cannot easily be defended. It's like avoiding the corner market at 2am. It's not fear. It's wisdom, in times that have gone awry.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Second, this kind of thing is all too common here in Shelby County.
    Exactly so. Wisdom, to make simple changes that have little overt impact on one's demeanor or well-being but large impacts on reduction of risk. Like the 2am market run. Silly as that is, we can all appreciate the sanity of simple avoidance. Common as the front door "knock" is, it's simply harder to appreciate the same sanity here. And yet, it's no different.

It once was common to leave the doors unlocked and practically swingin' on the hinges, during the year, where I grew up. We knew all the neighbors and people for a mile beyond. We knew all the people waltzing through the neighborhood. That was a different age, an age of true innocence (by comparison). That age has passed. Do that in some places, and the situation gets noticed ... information passed ... and you end up seeing the truth of how the world has changed. Pass, on that. I'd rather make minor changes for the greater good, changes that have no more impact than calling to make a reservation, first. It's no different, but it avoids a huge and growing family of "random" acts that has low chance of being defended.

Dissolution and degeneration. We're seeing it. In some places, more rapidly than others. But, it's happening. Rats in a cage ... and they're getting rattier, and more prolific. Generations of entitled, believing they're entitled, with latch-key ignorance thrown in to boot. Add a pinch of weaponry and availability of gang contacts and drugs in any town in America, and then you've got an ugly recipe. You don't end up with a morale majority with that recipe. You end up with dregs. Dregs that don't care. Dregs that believe they have every right to do what they do, at whatever cost to you, me, anyone else. Anyway. So far, it's not a daily threat, no. But it's coming. You have to be blind to not see the signs.

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    What you're really bemoaning is the lost age of innocence, that none of us should have to beware of what lies beyond a closed door. I grant you all of that. And, I'm with you. I wish things were different. Doesn't help with changing them from what they are, though. Predators are doing these things. They're doing them in my city, as well as across the country. They're doing it for any number of reasons, including none at all. The day one of them leaves the Future Planning Calendar Of Felons' Union Local #246 on my doorstep, then perhaps I'll think things are changing for the better. Not until then, though. Until then, I take simple precautions that don't affect me much, changes that anyone can do without materially altering one's well-being or outlook on life.

It's wisdom to find such solutions. Not fear.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 9th, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links