It's 3AM, the alarm is going off - Page 2

It's 3AM, the alarm is going off

This is a discussion on It's 3AM, the alarm is going off within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NY27 I do not have a security system. I have a 75# German Shepherd that hears everything. She will let me know ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I do not have a security system. I have a 75# German Shepherd that hears everything. She will let me know if someone is in the house.
    Yep, and they will let you know exactly "where" they are in the house.

VIP Member
    Isn't it fun, ours went off at 0200 Sat night.
    Hard to get back to sleep.
    Oh yes, the Police were called.
    Was a foul up because of a doorbell ring and run.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I think you need to get your alarm reconfigured. If your at home then the only thing that should not immediately trigger a call to the monitoring company is a motion sensor. The doors, and windows, or glass break should always be able to call trigger immediately when activated.

When in the exit mode, the doors should allow you to enter the house and have 30 seconds to disarm the system. Any other triggers, motion, glass break or window sensors should immediately call the monitoring company.
    Keep in mind there is a difference between a Entry delay and a transmission delay. A entry delay is what the panel uses to allow you to have some time to turn off the alarm providing

1 that your alarm is set to away.
    2. that you open a zone that is Entry /Exit Delay zone..

When home setting you panel to home makes every perimeter zone instant with the motions off. Even with that new panels give you 60 seconds to disarm the alarm before transmitting. Police departments have called for the industry to make changes to prevent false alarms. So having a transmission delay has become one of the standards.. one of the other things, if the central stations receives a cancel signal(created when you disarm your alarm) they will not dispatch even if you don't answer you phones. We assume that since someone with a code turned off the alarm everything is ok.. As i stated before leave the alarm on until you have cleared your house.. Because if you shut off your system it tells us that everything is ok. THe cancel thing is depends on the company so check with them.

if you have any questions feel free to PM me.. Also when calling the alarm company make sure you either talk to the service department or to a manger in the central station.. Generally the operators in central stations are not very technical and don't keep up on every technology we work hard to educate our employees but we still hear funny things from time to time.

John
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

Good thoughts from everyone. Thank you.

A couple of follow-up comments. I keep a 30 second delay on the system phoning the alarm company because I am notorious for setting it off at random times of the early morning and night as I open a door to check something outside, or whatever.

One cool feature of our security system that I forgot about is that there is an intercom system that connects to the monitoring company. I think I will arrange to have them shut off the screamer and listen in with the intercom. They can talk to me as I begin and end my clearing process. If I don't answer them or they hear any funny business they can call the police.

Both of my "quick access" guns are in a Gunvault mini. I have small kids and have also been known to forget a gun in, or on, the bedside table, and that just does't work. So the safe is in the closet - very close to my bed, along with a 12 gauge shottie.

Lastly, I train extensively with both the Glock and the 1911, but with a special affection for the 1911. That being said, I think I picked up the Glock because of a sub-conscious feeling that the Glock is less likely for me to mess up with late in the night. "Easier" to shoot? No real judgement on the gun selection yet, just my observation. Should I have considered the shottie? It isn't normally loaded, but should it?

Anyway, after that experience I think I am better prepared for next time.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Good advise has been given already. The screaming siren is annoying and distracting but it can be used to your advantage if you learn to block it out. I spent 6 years as a firefighter and learned to block out the screaming sounds of an alarm inside a building and deal with the task on hand. Same with the siren while driving the Fire Truck. It will distract the person breaking in also.

My sleepware consists of cargo shorts and a black t-shirt. In an emergency I don't want to waste time getting dressed; a few seconds could make a big difference in the outcome.

A big thank you for this thread. I have a G30sf and a monitored Alarm. I often wondered what I would do if the alarm went off in the night.. leave it on, or turn it off.. I think if the worst happens, I will leave it on.

I was a part-time alarm contractor for about 7 years and I have a monitored alarm. A couple of years ago mine went off in the middle of the night. My entry doors are set for a 20 second delay and no delay on the windows. My monitoring company called immediately. Before they called I had already grabbed the Glock 17 and mag light from the night stand....I immediately knew it was a malfunction due to the english display keypay that was visible from my bedroom door showing it was a master bedroom window that triggered the alarm. A minor adjustment in the magnet and never had a problem since...

I say let panel make the notification before disarming.. I only have a sounder in the keypads.... pressing a button on the pad disables the sounder allowing you to hear if someone is actually in the house and still allows the panel to make the notification to the monitoring agency...

We've recently modified our "alarm system" by adding a roaming 55 lb bulldog and motion activated security lights.... most of the time, the dog will let you know if anyone is even near the house.... when I build my next house it will also have alarm screens (24 hr mode).... notification to the alarm panel prior to the intruder making entry to the residence is a big plus....

Problem:
    If I'm the BG I'm going to stab/shoot you while you are getting dressed, turning off the alarm, or coming down the stairs with a "holstered gun".

Solution:
    Practice this scenario several times. Get the whole family involved so everybody knows what to do. Make a big game out of BG training for the wife and kids.

Have fun and be safe

Muk

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY View Post
    Keep in mind there is a difference between a Entry delay and a transmission delay. A entry delay is what the panel uses to allow you to have some time to turn off the alarm providing

1 that your alarm is set to away.
    2. that you open a zone that is Entry /Exit Delay zone..

When home setting you panel to home makes every perimeter zone instant with the motions off. Even with that new panels give you 60 seconds to disarm the alarm before transmitting. Police departments have called for the industry to make changes to prevent false alarms. So having a transmission delay has become one of the standards.. one of the other things, if the central stations receives a cancel signal(created when you disarm your alarm) they will not dispatch even if you don't answer you phones. We assume that since someone with a code turned off the alarm everything is ok.. As i stated before leave the alarm on until you have cleared your house.. Because if you shut off your system it tells us that everything is ok. THe cancel thing is depends on the company so check with them.

if you have any questions feel free to PM me.. Also when calling the alarm company make sure you either talk to the service department or to a manger in the central station.. Generally the operators in central stations are not very technical and don't keep up on every technology we work hard to educate our employees but we still hear funny things from time to time.

John
    I dont want to hijack this thread, while I personally dont like the be all/end all that the companies make them out to be, they do have a solid place in the security plan, especially when you travel a lot. I think I have learned more about the inportant parts of the system from this thread than from the websites of the actual companies. Instead of a PM I would kida like to see it as a actual thread. For instance if I am traveling, someone breaks a window and runs off because of the alarm, what does the company do to secure the residence till I return a week later. Returning early is not an option from a Combat Zone.

Also does the Key Fob option allow you to disarm with the Key Fob while it is going off, or just as an entry feature?

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

As the alarm is going off you will probably want your Cell, and Keys as well as your gun. The ready pants are a good idea.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links