Tough Situation (happend to a friends roomate)

This is a discussion on Tough Situation (happend to a friends roomate) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; this past weekend a friend of mine's roommate was attacked while leaving the dorms and heading downtown. she and a mentally disabled male friend of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Situation (happend to a friends roomate)

Tough Situation (happend to a friends roomate)

this past weekend a friend of mine's roommate was attacked while leaving the dorms and heading downtown. she and a mentally disabled male friend of hers were about 70- 100 ft outside of the dorm gates and approaching an intersection to cross the street when the doors of a car sitting at the light underneath a bridge on the opposite side of the street they were on, swung open and two females rushed towards her rapidly. They ran passed her friend and attacked he beating and pummeling her to the ground. At this time her friend struggled to pull the two attacking females off of her but it took him much longer than it should have as a result of his disability. eventually he got them off and the two females rushed back to the car out of which two males emerged to open the doors for them.

they took nothing and were obviously motivated by something other than monetary gain. the Police suspected either mistaken identity ( unlikely in Savannah ), gang initiation, or just someone who was fed up with college students in the area.

After hearing the story i tried to figure out what i would do in a situation like that both if i was armed and if i wasn't ( which i wouldn't be leaving a college campus.) If i was on my own and the attackers were either male or female id turn and run. Im pretty fast since i ran track in highschool and workout on a regular basis and I am more than confident that I could outrun the average person, especially when im juiced up on adrenaline. If i was with my girlfriend or loved one id still try to run but depending on how fast my companion was moving, I may have to stop to fight them off or at the bare minimum spray one with oc spray and continue to run so at least if we got caught there is just one for me to have to take down instead of two. If for whatever reason i couldnt run and had to fight and there were multiple attackers i would again take out as many as i could with oc spray at a distance, throw it and get them off of me as quikly as i could to escape. that one is actually the last thing id want to do because i could be very easily overpowerd. However if I was armed and couldn't run id of course draw down and give verbal commands for them to stop. if they continued id double tap which ever one was closer move to the next assailant and if he/she was dumb enough to continue advancing do the same. now if those were my actions id be concerned about A. the two (possiblely armed ) males much further away from me and with the moderate cover of an automobile, and B. the possible legal and civil reprocusions of firing on two female assailants, even if I was outnumbered and generuinly feared that either they were armed or had means of causeing me ( and almost more likely/importantly) my loved one seirous bodily harm. I think if it were two or more much larger male assailants B. would be even less of an issue.

Any way after all of that I was just wondering what you guys course of action would be in a situation like that. To me it just seemed like a loose loose unless I/we could run and get away.

what do you think??
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

2. Remove Ads

This is a tough situation. Running may not work, as it may not be clear that they are after you. If a car stops across the street from you, two females get out and run in your direction, would you consider yourself under attack (sufficiently enough to run) ? Or would you be more concerned about getting out of the way to not get run over if you assume they are heading for a target beyond you?

The use of a gun in this situation brings up another point: Is your live in danger (I think that makes a good standard regardless of what your local laws allow/not allow) ? I think you can make that assumption, but would a cop/judge/jury arrive at the same result? From your description, it doesn't sound like they are armed in any way.

This scenario may be a great reason to carry something less-then-lethal.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Sounds like a gang initiation to me. Glad your friend was able to step up despite a disability. I hope there won't be any long lasting scars, physical or emotional, for this girl.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I agree which is way i always have at least a can of OC spray with me at all times. I would never hesitate to run, at worst i just look like a fool for running away from something that wasn't even an issue. and if i was walking down the street late at night and there was no one else on the sidewalk but me and 2 people jump out of a car and charge in my direction please believe I would make a HASTY exit . i may not have clarified but in terms of drawing, id me much more inclined to do so if there were 2 plus large males attacking me either with empty hands or with weapons. all though i have started training in Krav Maga I still feel that 2 or 3 males bigger than me and hell bent and beating my ass could cause serious damage to me and are a legitimate threat to my life. also that was more of if i had to fight which would more than likely me to protect a loved one. If i was on my own escaping would be the number 1 2 and 3 response to this situation. however if i had to fight i wouldn't want to do so unarmed against 2 or 3 larger than me males with two others ( all 4 or 5 possibly armed) sitting in a car not far away from me.

My sister inlaw was attacked similarly two years ago while standing at a bus stop in a neighboring town alone.
    Mid day, along a major high traffic flow road, and without warning.
    Same deal two younger aged girls from out of the blue.

She was unprepared mentally to defend herself and did not fight back. She just screamed, tried to run (was tackled by both), and curled up trying to absrob blows.
    A mom at a light across the way happened to see the attack unfold and turned her car around to come and offer her aid. She beeped her horn and then exited to tell the girls to leave her alone, which worked. The girls ran off and got back in there own vehicle. No one thought to got a lice. plate number.

She wound up with a bruised eye and busted lip from being kicked in the face.
    The mom lady gave her a ride to my mother inlaws house from which they then called the cops.
    Nothing came of it and she has no clue who the girls were.

And this was in a small rural town that is often alleged, around here, to be a place where "nothing ever happens".

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    She wound up with a bruised eye and busted lip from being kicked in the face.
    If you're on the ground and they're kicking you in the head, that could really cause some serious damage.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Armed or not it may not be the brightest thing to do, but I would bet them biches down!!!!

Two people come charging at me and my wife...it's going to be a gun fight...even if the other people forgot to bring their equipment
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

yea savannah is a relatively small town, but it has a pretty high crime rate. none the less what rattled me more than the attack it self was the set up. i mean had that been 2 or three big guys charging me ( or her) with two others in a car waiting that could end catastrophically ... my real question is i guess tactiaclly what would be the best way to handle something like that if say for whatever reason you had to fight ( im not talkin 2 little highschool girls these are medium height to tall 160+lb males)... if you are either armed or unarmed??

Some people let incidents like this soak in so much that they actually forget to do other basic things for themselves, like... well, for example, they forget to remove their sidearms when traveling on and off of campus. Crazy, the way the mind can work.

Was this at SCAD, the art school?

An ex-girlfriend of mine went to school there and I visited her once. I didn't stop worrying about her until she came back to Virginia.

Savannah is a very weird place. You have one of the nations largest art schools, so its FILLED with college students.

Then you have the main city part, which is a party-central type area.

Then you have beaches.

Some of it is incredibly beautiful, other parts look like garbage. And there is no poverty line. You could have wonderful looking areas, right next to crapholes.

I didn't think she was safe. It worried me to death.

Now, if this is SCAD, it reinforces my belief. That could of been her :(

(She's graduated now btw).

I would be looking on You-Tube for the video of the attack, if it was filmed betcha they post it. makes tracking down easier. If 2 people come charging in my directions and do not take to verbal comands. They will be a problem for them!!!

If I were on the street, either with or without my wife, and charged by several youths......there will be a loud unfriendly warning, as I move diagonally away from the charge...a continued threat will be will be met with an appropriate level of defense to stop the threat.

I'm to old to play 'wrestle me to the ground', and I've had enough organs removed from this body to ensure 'disparity of force'.

I can be very unfriendly if the need should arise...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A friend's son and another guy were with their dates leaving a restaurant in club/restaurant area of town. 2 guys started making rude comments to the girls, and trying to start a fight with them. When they stopped (mistake) about 20 guys came out of hiding and pummeled them. He was in bad shape and barely lived.... was in a coma quite a long time, and almost died a couple of times.

Anyone comes bum-rushing at me, gun will be 'out' of the holster...

There are too many animals out there, thanks god for the 2nd amendment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links