When a joke goes too far

When a joke goes too far

This is a discussion on When a joke goes too far within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while back, I wrote a thread about my contract job at Nike. ( Day 2 at Nike ) On the second day, the manager ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When a joke goes too far

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

When a joke goes too far

A while back, I wrote a thread about my contract job at Nike. (Day 2 at Nike) On the second day, the manager called me into his office and related a story of how several Nike employees "harassed" his friend because he was wearing a competitor's shoes. (OK, I will admit, wearing Reeboks to Nike is NOT the smartest thing.)

But let's take that scenario. Say you do wear Reeboks to Nike. You are in the bathroom one day and several co-workers, maybe you know them, maybe you don't, decide to join you and give you grief, maybe rough you up a bit. Nobody really wants to hurt you, per se, but they do get a little physical.

Since you are not an employee (you are a contractor) you are carrying. You also have a knife and some OC as your standard equipment. How would this situation best be handled?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Since when do grown men put their hands on other grown men, not being LEOs, and not expect resistance and/or suffering?

Agreed though wearing Reeboks or Puma to a Nike job is a bone headed professional gaffe.
    But that is not a physical harassment infraction never mind a beat down.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I can take the joking about my shoes, but if you put your hands on me, you will be looking at my shoes...up real close...then we'll see how funny that is...
    I draw the line at 'hands on'...
    One man should not physically grab another without expecting consequences...immediately!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Multiple males I don't know put their hands on me in an unfriendly, physical manner? I'm going to cease being humored by any beliefs they may have about their good-naturedness. NO minor infraction earns a physical roughing up.

How to handle? It's pretty clear when someone is no longer interested in playing that sort of game. Generally, all it should take is an appropriate look and statement regarding not being handled. Remember, this is a group of professional employees inside the company that employs them; they don't want to have such a situation become publicly-known anymore than their management does. If it goes beyond the physical to an attack of sorts, I'd handle it as I would any other attack. Multiple assailants in a H2H situation is not child's play and can go awry at any moment.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

how about police report ,hostile work environment/lawsuit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I guess a bunch of men in the bathroom all wearing Chinese tennis shoes leads to violence. Personally, I'd take my leather boots and kick the crap out of the pansies!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    A while back, I wrote a thread about my contract job at Nike. (Day 2 at Nike) On the second day, the manager called me into his office and related a story of how several Nike employees "harassed" his friend because he was wearing a competitor's shoes. (OK, I will admit, wearing Reeboks to Nike is NOT the smartest thing.)

But let's take that scenario. Say you do wear Reeboks to Nike. You are in the bathroom one day and several co-workers, maybe you know them, maybe you don't, decide to join you and give you grief, maybe rough you up a bit. Nobody really wants to hurt you, per se, but they do get a little physical.

Since you are not an employee (you are a contractor) you are carrying. You also have a knife and some OC as your standard equipment. How would this situation best be handled?
    Smile.

You just hit the Lotto.

Take your bruises, make a report to HR, Security and the police.

Make sure you are taken to the hospital to have the injuries photographed.

Then, call the lawyers and start browsing for class III weapons.

You will be able to afford them in the near future.

I can take the joking and or insult...
    But thats where I draw a line!

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them"
    -John Wayne The Shootist

Let them rough you up, then call the po-po, and file charges.

Distinguished Member
    As for me, well if I made the error in judgement, (competitors shoes) to DEESCILATE the situation, well I might take them off and being in a restroom, heck I may even urinate on them just to humor them and walk out bare foot just to entertain the masses.

You pick a fight with 3 or 4 guys---it's going to be a he said / they said situation that you may very well not win either in court or the restroom.

Stupid is everywhere, you just don't have to participate.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

You are on their property legally and you have no duty to get roughed up at all.You can fight for your own protection as needed and then sue the hell out of them individually and the company too.First stop is the ER and second the PD.third is your attorney.

Disparity of force qualifies...

I'd say that a simple statement after or during the first hands on..."Is my poor choice of shoes really worth your job? Why don't we all go back to work and forget this incident." If it continues, or gets more involved, I'd yell for help, get someone outside the restroom aware of a problem.

If the situation becomes violent but no weapons are present, either take the cost of the lotto winnings, or deploy OC. If any of them present anything resembling a weapon (blunt instrument, knife etc.) then JAM is now met and do what you need to do.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

i can take alot of jokes you grow really "thick skin" when youve spent time in an infantry unit, you guys that have been there know that to be the truth. i would wear whatever shoes i deemed comfortable whether it be reeboks, pumas, or my good ole belleville boots. if they want to crack jokes, thats fine but if a hand is laid upon me, a swift strike to the throat will be imminent. given that if a weapon is produced that is intending to contriubute to my demise i will take further actions that i deem neccesary.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I just find it hard to believe that some "co-workers" would physically rough someone up in the bathroom over shoes...what, pushing one back and forth?

Regardless...I suspect more to the story. Something said, actions taken etc.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    You pick a fight with 3 or 4 guys---it's going to be a he said / they said situation that you may very well not win either in court or the restroom.
    If one picks a fight, then there's going to be hell to pay, as always.

But, if a fight picks you ...

Stupid is everywhere, you just don't have to participate.
    Not all folks are asked what they prefer, in such situations. In a multiple-on-one situation, it's mostly that the fight has arrived. Can one simply walk out? Perhaps. Perhaps not. This discussion is about "not."

Sure, if the opportunity presents itself, I'm out of there, via subterfuge or flattery or whatever. No sense getting mangled for no good reason. Though I won't be extorted, robbed or assaulted.

But the point is, it most likely won't be my choice. BTDT, on a couple occasions, and it's not so simple as suggesting "just leave" when multiples have you in their sights in an enclosed space.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links