Yet another reason to ALWAYS CARRY!

This is a discussion on Yet another reason to ALWAYS CARRY! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This guy is lucky he had help from his neighbors. Father Fights Pit Bull To Save Daughter - Portland News Story - KPTV Portland...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another reason to ALWAYS CARRY!

This guy is lucky he had help from his neighbors.

Father Fights Pit Bull To Save Daughter - Portland News Story - KPTV Portland
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Yes, that and many, many other reasons!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    Father Fights Pit Bull To Save Daughter
    90-Pound Dog Attacks Girl Unprovoked

POSTED: 12:48 pm PST November 20, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:11 pm PST November 20, 2008
    [NEWSVINE: Father Fights Pit Bull To Save Daughter]
    HAPPY VALLEY, Ore. -- A man rescued his daughter from an attack by a 90-pound pit bull that continued to attack, biting the man in several places Wednesday afternoon, police said.

Steven M. Hehr, 31, of Gladstone, and his daughter, Jayda Kempas, 7, were recovering Thursday as she waited to go into surgery for her injuries after the vicious attack that left them both injured and the dog dead, Detective Jim Strovink said.

Hehr was inside a home on Southeast 172nd Street in Happy Valley when he heard Jayda's screams outside, Strovink said.

The staff sergeant with the Oregon National Guard immediately ran outside to find the 90-pound dog with its jaws latched onto his daughter's leg as it attempted to pull her off the tire swing on which she'd been playing, according to the sheriff's office.

Hehr said he ran to Jayda's aid and used his hands to pry the dog's mouth open and turn its attention to him, allowing the girl to run to safety.

"I thought my fingers were gone. It was life or death to me, because my daughter is so small and the dog was so big. If he had got my daughter off the swing, it would have been over. If I wouldn't have been out there it would have been over," Hehr said.

Witnesses said the dog then began to attack Hehr, biting him on the thigh and attempting to attack his torso as he tried to wrestle it to the ground, Strovink said.

Three other men were also there and helped Hehr with the rescue effort: Ian Tovar, 27, of Clackamas; William Bahler, 47, of Happy Valley; and Alan Clinansmith, 44.

Tovar grabbed Jayda and carried her inside the home, wrapped her leg in his T-shirt and called 911, Strovink said.

Listen To The 911 Call

While the girl was being taken to safety, the dog tore apart Hehr's pants while biting him on the leg and then the chest before he managed to get the dog in a headlock and use his body to pin the animal to the ground, Strovink said.

The dog continued to try to attack Hehr and fought to free itself as he tried to hold it on the ground, causing Hehr to yell for someone to kill the dog, Strovink said.

Bahler grabbed an aluminum baseball bat and began to beat the dog on its legs and back as hard as he could with no effect, Strovink said.

Then Clinansmith took the bat and continued to hit the dog until Clackamas County sheriff's Deputy Greg Martin arrived, Strovink said.

As the dog continued to resist being restrained and tried to attack, Martin realized he had no other choice and shot the dog, eliminating the threat, Strovink said.

"Had it not been for the father being present and pulling the dog from the child, that girl most probably would not have survived the attack," Martin said.

American Medical Response arrived and provided medical attention to the father and daughter, and both were taken to Kaiser Sunnyside Hospital for treatment.

View Photos Of The Aftermath Of The Dog Attack

Jayda suffered severe lacerations to her lower right calf and puncture wounds on her upper left thigh area. She was later transferred to Doernbecher Children's Hospital, where she was scheduled to have surgery Thursday to repair the damage, Strovink said.

"Jayda is a real trooper, is expected to recover and is presently in good spirits," said Hehr, who served two tours of duty, one in Iraq and another in Afghanistan.

Hehr had his arm in a sling having dislocated his shoulder in the fight and also suffered bite wounds to his hands, chest, legs and arms, Strovink said.

The dog's body was kept for forensic examination to confirm that it was properly vaccinated and no threat of rabies is present.

The dog's owner was identified as Rick Harrison, 37, of Gresham.

Deputies said they don't expect criminal charges to be filed in this attack but wouldn't rule out civil action.

Not sure I understand this last part. Oregon allows you to let your dog run free?

If the family decides to sue, I'm sure they will win in court. If they have not contacted a lawyer themselves, I'm sure their phone is ringing off the hook from lawyers who want to take the case to trial for them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The owner should face charges of some type...and should also be subject to a lawsuit for big $$$.

Glad the dog will never attack again.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

jfl
    Deputies said they don't expect criminal charges to be filed in this attack but wouldn't rule out civil action.
    I hope this is not true !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Hard for me to comment on this ... I hope they both recover and are able to cope with the psycological anguish that will most likely haunt them anytime they see even the friendliest of dog.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

WTH,How about allowing a dangerous animal to run at large,as far as civil liability the guy is probably living off his baby mamas welfare
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First, the civil action should be against the owner of the dog , if there is going to be any. Not the other way around.

Second, I would never have let go of the dog in the first place, the minute I grabbed that dog.... he would be restrained or put out. I take it the guy didn't know how to grab a dog in a way it can't harm you.... unless you let go.

But, it could have been like the black bear, the coyote, the wolf, the cougar, or..... there are many stories out there on those as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The owner should face charges of some type...and should also be subject to a lawsuit for big $$$.

Glad the dog will never attack again.
    + 2

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Good for the dad for defending his daughter and succeeding. All in all, I'm glad that everybody is O.K.

NOW on to the fact it should not have happened at all, and I sincerely hope the irresponsible owner of the dog will end up paying for ALL expenses incurred during the indicent,and is criminally charged.

Its things like that , that make the sheeple want to ban pitbulls and etc

If I was to use a bat I would use my Carl Rose 28oz, 1 mabey 2 hits the dog gone bye bye. I'm glad the little girls alright.

I love my dogs, but if either one ever attacked a kid I would kill it myself.

I would think that DEEP down the throat would be the place to put the bat. bite on that while it is forced further down. And then bang.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

How do you grab the dog to keep from losing the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If the family decides to sue, I'm sure they will win in court. If they have not contacted a lawyer themselves, I'm sure their phone is ringing off the hook from lawyers who want to take the case to trial for them.
    Sounds like good grounds for a civil case.

FYI - I doubt their phone is ringing off the hook.

Rule 7.3 Direct Contact With Prospective Clients
    (a) A lawyer shall not by in-person, live telephone or real-time electronic contact solicit professional employment from a prospective client when a significant motive for the lawyer's doing so is the lawyer's pecuniary gain, unless the person contacted:

(1) is a lawyer; or

(2) has a family, close personal, or prior professional relationship with the lawyer.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links