Defensive Carry banner

Best way to get advantage over BG when approached

2K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  unclebuck1965 
#1 ·
I would like to present two scenarios and get opinions on what is the best tactical way to handle it. (Did I just say "tactical"? :embarassed: )

You and a friend (either same or opposite sex, spouse, etc) are walking down the street. Someone approaches you and you don't have a good feeling about this. Is it better to have you and friend spread out or stay close together? In other words, instead of (potential) BG in front of both of you, you spread out and create a triangle, one on each side of BG.

Same scenario, except there are two BGs.

#2 ·
For me personally, I'd most likely be walking with my wife, and would stay between her and BG.
So I'd say we would not separate, certainly not to give BG an opportunity to have access to her while I am on the other side of him.

Two BGs?
Geeze, I'd do what I could to not let ourselves be surrounded, and if possible, change direction to avoid any contact.
Just my first thoughts.

Interesting question.
Thanks.

#3 ·
I would cross the street if dipstick mirrors me then he gets a verbal if he continues then I warn him a second time and try to create distance if he decides to come at me then If I feel threatened he meets the holster"MONKEY" similar to the trunk monkey but handheld

#4 ·
Spread apart.... I want lots of room to operate in if I need it. You will be in my way. I don't want to get shot or knifed because of you being in my way. If they go after you, then I have a better vantage point to get them off or away from you, or to not shoot you in the process of shooting them.

Whatever you do.... don't get in between me and them.... you just negated anything I could do.

#5 ·
with the girl friend or mom or sister id stay between the bg and them, with a friend or my dad or something id probably split because now the attackers got two ( at least one armed) guys out of arms reach to deal with should he try anything funny.

#6 ·
From a tactical standpoint...spreading would be better. From a practical standpoint...more than likely, one would put friend behind. Either way, directly side by side is not good if you perceive bad things happening...maximum freedom of movement and line of sight the best.

Rick

#8 ·
directly side by side is not good if you perceive bad things happening...maximum freedom of movement and line of sight the best.

Rick
Distance and speed are your friend....side by side isn't good for that, but I'd be hard pressed to seperate from my wife or a child (most likely who'd I be with).....one or two BG's. I'd just have to take it as it happens.

#7 ·
My wife and I are going to change directions,...together and quickly.
If followed, then I know my senses were telling me the truth.
BG's are getting one warning...loud and stern to stay back...while we keep moving.
If approach continues, bad things are about to happen.

Stay armed...take control...stay safe!

#9 ·
My best friend (my wife) carries, and we're always hanging out, so we split up to gain distance and angles. Woe to the threat if the shizzle smacks the wall.

#11 ·
If my second is unarmed or a non combatant, I would try to get they to retreat and head for cover , while I cover our retreat. If my second is armed as well, we both work on retreat while watching the threat(s).
Whenever at all possible I will chose the final point of contact for the encounter.

#12 ·
Good tactic, I would try the same. My wife carries (most of the time :rolleyes:); if we use our middle name, it means we are at SHTF minus one ...

#13 ·
With my wife and 1 BG, she gets behind me and keeps moving towards a safe area while deal with the issue.

With a buddy and 1 BG, separate and triangulate.

Wife and BG+, she gets behind me and we are both moving towards safe area.

Buddy and BG+, arms width apart, looking for tactical advantage.

Variables are infinite after our first move.

#14 ·
My understanding is that flanking is a basic tenet of maneuver warfare.

For your scenario, this means moving away from each other and getting to the sides of your opponent. To engage one of you, he has to turn his back on the other.

The same is true with two bad guys, plus it presents them with something they probably weren't expecting, which I would imagine would cause them to telegraph their intent.

Plus, in an actual gunfight, you don't want the two of you standing close enough together so the BG(s) can make easy shots at both of you. You want his "sight picture" to have to change as much as possible.

Mel

#15 ·
It would all depend on the situation and the surrounding terrain. It would be easy to look at this and come up with an extremely tactical solution, but I will instead answer the questions honestly.

Assuming that my buddy isn't armed, we would stick together. That is until a real threat presented itself and then I would quickly move in a direction of cover while drawing my own gun. This would do several things for me:

1. It would be totally unexpected
2. It would present the BG with a moving target(he would probably focus on me instead of my partner because the eye is attracted to movement) which is another plus.
3. It would give me distance which helps for several reasons;
-I'm probably a better shot than him
-the attack my be in the form of a knife or a club
-even if I have a wardrobe malfunction and can't get the gun out quickly, at least I have gotten of the x and hopefully cover
5. I my friend is armed then we have instantly flanked them, if not and it is my family, then I have drawn the fire away from them. Hopefully whoever I'm with will take the hint and find cover.
6. If the person I'm with doesn't find cover and is somehow over taken by the BG'S then I have to change gears and move right back in on them Hostage Rescue style.
7. This is a simple tactic that works in a lot of situations.

Move while drawing and or seek cover while drawing and fire.

#16 ·
I would try anything to get away first. Cross the street, duck into a building/store, etc. If an encounter happens, then I would want the person with me to move backwards at an angle, and in a hurry. I would not want him/her directly behind me because they would be in the BGs crossfire, and staying beside me is just as bad. Besides, when I open fire, I'm not going to be standing still. I will also be moving away and at an angle.
With two BGs, things get tricky and I honestly don;t know what I would do. Probably the same reaction. I certainly need to practice more multiple BG scenarios at the range, as I rarely ever do. Thanks for making me use my noodle today, and casting some light on a large hole in my preparedness. :bier:

#18 ·
If you are both armed beware of the crossfire situation.
My thoughts exactly.

Besides, if my wife is with me, she may, or may not also be armed. Either way, I'm her bodyguard. (And if I am in distress, and she is armed, she becomes mine.) Period.

#19 ·
Wife on strong side. Change directions and give comands like everyone else says if he persists. If not then allowing wife to cover because on strong side i draw gun and if subjects move forward move wife behind with left arm raising right arm to align site picture. Happened-ish once but wasnt carrying and used knife in reverse grip and definatly scary but instincts kicked in. Knife never came into view but was open in hand. Ugh bad memories.

#20 ·
Tactically your at a disadvantage already

If the person or persons your with is unarmed you must go (legally and tactically) into defensive mode staying together behind you while making space and holes :image035: going for cover and then making more holes :image035: if the BG keeps on engaging you IMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.