Best way to get advantage over BG when approached

This is a discussion on Best way to get advantage over BG when approached within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to present two scenarios and get opinions on what is the best tactical way to handle it. (Did I just say "tactical"? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to get advantage over BG when approached

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I would like to present two scenarios and get opinions on what is the best tactical way to handle it. (Did I just say "tactical"? )

You and a friend (either same or opposite sex, spouse, etc) are walking down the street. Someone approaches you and you don't have a good feeling about this. Is it better to have you and friend spread out or stay close together? In other words, instead of (potential) BG in front of both of you, you spread out and create a triangle, one on each side of BG.

Same scenario, except there are two BGs.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

For me personally, I'd most likely be walking with my wife, and would stay between her and BG.
    So I'd say we would not separate, certainly not to give BG an opportunity to have access to her while I am on the other side of him.

Two BGs?
    Geeze, I'd do what I could to not let ourselves be surrounded, and if possible, change direction to avoid any contact.
    Just my first thoughts.

Interesting question.
    Thanks.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

I would cross the street if dipstick mirrors me then he gets a verbal if he continues then I warn him a second time and try to create distance if he decides to come at me then If I feel threatened he meets the holster"MONKEY" similar to the trunk monkey but handheld
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Spread apart.... I want lots of room to operate in if I need it. You will be in my way. I don't want to get shot or knifed because of you being in my way. If they go after you, then I have a better vantage point to get them off or away from you, or to not shoot you in the process of shooting them.

Whatever you do.... don't get in between me and them.... you just negated anything I could do.

with the girl friend or mom or sister id stay between the bg and them, with a friend or my dad or something id probably split because now the attackers got two ( at least one armed) guys out of arms reach to deal with should he try anything funny.
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    From a tactical standpoint...spreading would be better. From a practical standpoint...more than likely, one would put friend behind. Either way, directly side by side is not good if you perceive bad things happening...maximum freedom of movement and line of sight the best.

Rick

My wife and I are going to change directions,...together and quickly.
    If followed, then I know my senses were telling me the truth.
    BG's are getting one warning...loud and stern to stay back...while we keep moving.
    If approach continues, bad things are about to happen.

Stay armed...take control...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    directly side by side is not good if you perceive bad things happening...maximum freedom of movement and line of sight the best.

Rick
    Distance and speed are your friend....side by side isn't good for that, but I'd be hard pressed to seperate from my wife or a child (most likely who'd I be with).....one or two BG's. I'd just have to take it as it happens.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

My best friend (my wife) carries, and we're always hanging out, so we split up to gain distance and angles. Woe to the threat if the shizzle smacks the wall.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Distance and speed are your friend....side by side isn't good for that, but I'd be hard pressed to seperate from my wife or a child (most likely who'd I be with).....one or two BG's. I'd just have to take it as it happens.
    I think we are saying the same thing...I too would be hard pressed to seperate. Why I would want them to be behind me as cover...and so they can run in any direction.

Rick

Lead Moderator
    If my second is unarmed or a non combatant, I would try to get they to retreat and head for cover , while I cover our retreat. If my second is armed as well, we both work on retreat while watching the threat(s).
    Whenever at all possible I will chose the final point of contact for the encounter.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    If my second is unarmed or a non combatant, I would try to get they to retreat and head for cover , while I cover our retreat. If my second is armed as well, we both work on retreat while watching the threat(s).
    Whenever at all possible I will chose the final point of contact for the encounter.
    Good tactic, I would try the same. My wife carries (most of the time ); if we use our middle name, it means we are at SHTF minus one ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

With my wife and 1 BG, she gets behind me and keeps moving towards a safe area while deal with the issue.

With a buddy and 1 BG, separate and triangulate.

Wife and BG+, she gets behind me and we are both moving towards safe area.

Buddy and BG+, arms width apart, looking for tactical advantage.

Variables are infinite after our first move.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

My understanding is that flanking is a basic tenet of maneuver warfare.

For your scenario, this means moving away from each other and getting to the sides of your opponent. To engage one of you, he has to turn his back on the other.

The same is true with two bad guys, plus it presents them with something they probably weren't expecting, which I would imagine would cause them to telegraph their intent.

Plus, in an actual gunfight, you don't want the two of you standing close enough together so the BG(s) can make easy shots at both of you. You want his "sight picture" to have to change as much as possible.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

It would all depend on the situation and the surrounding terrain. It would be easy to look at this and come up with an extremely tactical solution, but I will instead answer the questions honestly.

Assuming that my buddy isn't armed, we would stick together. That is until a real threat presented itself and then I would quickly move in a direction of cover while drawing my own gun. This would do several things for me:

1. It would be totally unexpected
    2. It would present the BG with a moving target(he would probably focus on me instead of my partner because the eye is attracted to movement) which is another plus.
    3. It would give me distance which helps for several reasons;
    -I'm probably a better shot than him
    -the attack my be in the form of a knife or a club
    -even if I have a wardrobe malfunction and can't get the gun out quickly, at least I have gotten of the x and hopefully cover
    5. I my friend is armed then we have instantly flanked them, if not and it is my family, then I have drawn the fire away from them. Hopefully whoever I'm with will take the hint and find cover.
    6. If the person I'm with doesn't find cover and is somehow over taken by the BG'S then I have to change gears and move right back in on them Hostage Rescue style.
    7. This is a simple tactic that works in a lot of situations.

Move while drawing and or seek cover while drawing and fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links