Mall shooting ... again - Tukwila, WA. (Seattle)

This is a discussion on Mall shooting ... again - Tukwila, WA. (Seattle) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 4 killed, 6 wounded in Seattle shootings 4 killed, 6 wounded in Seattle shootings THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SEATTLE -- It was a violent weekend in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mall shooting ... again - Tukwila, WA. (Seattle)

Possible retaliatory shooting cited in article today

4 killed, 6 wounded in Seattle shootings

4 killed, 6 wounded in Seattle shootings

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEATTLE -- It was a violent weekend in the Seattle area with five shootings that left four people dead and six wounded.

Police are looking into the possibility that a Sunday night shooting that wounded two teens in a south Seattle parking lot was a gang retaliation for Saturday's shooting that killed one teen and wounded another at the Southcenter Mall in Tukwila.

One man was killed early Sunday outside a nightclub, Vito's Madison Grill, in Seattle's First Hill neighborhood.

One man who was found shot to death in a parked car Sunday on Pacific Highway South in Kent.

One man was killed and three others were wounded in a shooting early Saturday outside a restaurant, Afriq African Cuisine, in the Skyway area south of Seattle.
    Too bad this will help King Nickels in his quest against lawful gun owners.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, this isn't good for our rights at all.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Lessons learned:
    • "random violence" generally isn't random.
    • one may be forcibly restrained in a store. Know where the "Employees Only" exit, through the store room, is and decide if it is appropriate to use said exit.
    • be calm, controlled, and know how to Command. If you don't want to be held in a brightly lit cage, give orders, and be prepared to use some level of force, if necessary.
    • 99% of the time- outside is better than inside; be prepared. Winter & it's "too hot" to wear a coat in the mall? Might want to reconsider little things like that...

I've also gone through one of those exits in the mall before. It led to a conrete hallway. It's a pretty long and expansive network of concrete hallways that run inside and between everything in the mall. I believe its intended purpose is to act as a fire evacuation route, but it was definitely long and I actually ended up getting lost a few times in there. There also isn't a single soul in those hallways either so its not a good place to get lost.

So if you're getting shot at, I definitely would not want to be running around in there. Just a thought and word of advice to keep an eye on a real exit in case you have to leave in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I've also gone through one of those exits in the mall before. It led to a conrete hallway. It's a pretty long and expansive network of concrete hallways that run inside and between everything in the mall. I believe its intended purpose is to act as a fire evacuation route, but it was definitely long and I actually ended up getting lost a few times in there. There also isn't a single soul in those hallways either so its not a good place to get lost.

So if you're getting shot at, I definitely would not want to be running around in there. Just a thought and word of advice to keep an eye on a real exit in case you have to leave in a hurry.
    If the exit is through the back of a shop, it's purpose is the transport of merchandise from the loading bay to the store. As with any "transition", if one has difficulty with direction, its probably not the best choice. If, however, you are aware of which direction leads to the closest exterior wall- you will find the loading bay in short order.

These are not "fire exits" because they are choke points. It's very unlikely a shooter would be transversing these passages, since they are not a "target rich environment."

Much like knowing the parts of town to avoid- good information, if one knows how and when to apply it.

Edit to add: having worked mass-exodous evacuations, "Exits" are easy to find, and move large volumes of people with fair rapidity. This also makes it more likely to be trampled by those more agressive in their evacuation-instinct, and more likely to be trapped by (for instance) a blockage caused by a mother-child seperation; young, agressive men being "heroes" shoving through the crowd to get their SO out, etc., etc..

I won't encourage anyone to use an unbeaten path, but, personally, I find it safer than being in an hysterical crowd.

Very true. Eventually I was able to get out by locating some red exit arrows. It does seem like it might make a decent place to hide, actually, or as you said get out but stay out of the stampede.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links