Home Security: A Related Question

This is a discussion on Home Security: A Related Question within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may be in an incorrect forum; if so, I apologize in advance. Due to where we live (North Texas - currently under fire alert), ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Security: A Related Question

Senior Moderator

This may be in an incorrect forum; if so, I apologize in advance.

Due to where we live (North Texas - currently under fire alert), and where I often work (Oklahoma - same), my wife and I are very sensitive to fire danger currently.

Extending that to the home front, a smoke detector malfunction a couple of weeks ago made me question our fire preparedness. The dogs and the wife were sleeping soundly. I was Con White also, the smoke detector screamed, and I unlocked our BR door and shuffled down the hall Con Yellow in my skivvies. No smoke, no flames, just a malfunction (dust build-up). That incident gave me pause.

What I did right:

Had BR door locked
    Checked for smoke
    Changed the batteries twice a year
    Fire extinguishers are present, current and accounted for

What I didn't do:

Have a solid PLAN(S)
    Check the door for heat build-up before opening it
    Clean the detectors regularly
    Have a stocked bug-out bag with fire safety gear

I am now thinking about this in more detail (the "Plan"). Since we're in a rural area, my thinking takes that into consideration, as well as the large lake outside the back door. Security, weapon safety, retreat, retreat path(s) and method(s), bug-out bag, dog control, etc. So, my questions and observations are:

Do you personally have a fire plan?
    Have you tested and drilled on it?
    Discussed it with the family?
    Does it include children and / or grandchildren? Pets?
    Weapon(s) control?
    Retreat paths and methods?
    Do you keep hoses hooked up and ready?
    Is your property fire-safe with brush and trees a safe distance from the house?
    Contents of bug-out bag: fire suppression, breathing apparatus, fire shield blanket, safety gear, weapons, etc.?
    Have you combined the above with BG scenarios?

What have I forgotten? I truly hadn't spent much time thinking about this until our drought, at which point the urgency increased. We have food and water rations stocked, among other things, but I had never really combined disaster planning with fire preparations. Until this fall, I figured calling 911 would suffice, but the firefighters might be spread pretty thin or even unavailable currently.

CC includes a lot of members that are very forward thinking and which spend time, effort and money planning for possible occurrences, as well as living in isolated areas. Your thoughts please?

If I've posted this in the wrong forum, please feel free to make a suggestion, but be kind!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."

Lead Moderator
    Are you on the first floor, or single story house? If not to you have a way to get out of the house without using the stairs in the house?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member (Retired Staff) Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Fortunately we are not in an area where a brush fire would threaten us too much - semi rural, some houses around. That said - until we had rain - the corn field out back was pretty dry but the stocks were bailed this year so - really not too much combustible material.

House is single level except for one attic bedroom - escape routes are pretty good but - you do raise a good point in as much as - some sorta plan is always good to have, whether for a specific or just ''an emergency''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    Just make sure you keep looking outside.
    This was yesterday about 5:30pm cst.
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4011794

VIP Member (Retired Staff) Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Damn! That looks way too close for comfort. I just hope you folks get some much needed rain soon.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    It's a single story rancher with low windows - dogs could walk out the BR windows.

Yea - some of the film footage on TV is incredible too. A big brush fire being blown with 25-35 MPH winds really moves fast.

We've been lucky so far. Need lots of rain.

"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    What I did right:

Had BR door locked
    Checked for smoke
    Changed the batteries twice a year
    Fire extinguishers are present, current and accounted for
    Ok, I have a question here. Why lock the BR door?

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar

Things you can never get back.

I live in Oklahoma. These fires have got my wife and I thinking also. After the first couple of fires, I ask my wife, "If the house was to burn down, what could we never get back?" She said our wedding albums, and some pieces of jewelry that was giving to her by her great grandmother. We put together a bag that sits by the front door, and then i take and put in my truck when i go to work, that has all of these things in it, along with copies of our SS cards, DL's, Marriage license, Insurance polices, etc. I also went around the house and video taped everything, so i would remember what all we had, and then mailed a copy to my grandparents and my dad for safe keeping. I know its just stuff, but we have worked very hard to aquire it. I hope that others, not just in the wildfire areas, think about things like this also.

BEN

Look into a fire safe. They usually are within the 200 range, and put any important papers (deeds, social security cards, etc) as well as possibly some checks or cash in it.

I wouldn't keep this kind of stuff in my vehicle at work, etc, as if it got stolen, it'd be a jackpot for a thief.
    יזכר לא עד פעם
    Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am.
    Remember. Never Again.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar

Fire Safes

The local news just did a story a couple of weeks ago about fire safes. They all ended up melting after being in a full house fire. I believe it was KFOR that did the story.

BEN

Quote Originally Posted by BCurry1
    The local news just did a story a couple of weeks ago about fire safes. They all ended up melting after being in a full house fire. I believe it was KFOR that did the story.

BEN

I'd be very interested to see that. Were these safes UL listed?
    I've got a UL class 150 safe that is supposed to last 4 hours with an exterior temp of 2000F, while the interior should not exceed 150F.
    יזכר לא עד פעם
    Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am.
    Remember. Never Again.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    My wife and I have a safety deposit box with pictures and a list of all gun serial numbers as well as a videotape of the guns and other stuff in the house. This stuff is to important to leave to chance. Uor box is only about 25 bucks a year. Cheap for peace of mind.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    Ok, I have a question here. Why lock the BR door?
    For security - additional time if something bad happens (we live alone without young 'uns).

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    you didn't wake up your wife before checking the alarm?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Senior Moderator
    Heck - we were both awake. She just sent me out...like this...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links