Car jacking type scenario

This is a discussion on Car jacking type scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was driving home late at night a few nights ago. I was traveling down a main street. It was not very busy but rather ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car jacking type scenario

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Car jacking type scenario

I was driving home late at night a few nights ago. I was traveling down a main street. It was not very busy but rather well lit. I came to a stop light. At the light just happened to be a bus stop. I glanced over to my right and noticed that some of the people waiting for the bus were a bit on the seedy type. My car was stopped essentially where the bus would have stopped so they were just a few feet from me. I was thinking that this would be a likely place where one of them would try to enter my car from the passenger side to try to car jack and/or rob me. There was a car in front and behind me. (Ya, I know, but I was tired and wasn't thinking of defensive tactics.) Of course the doors were locked. I was armed, but drawing from a sitting position in a car is rather slow and awkward at best. I have a spitfire OC spray attached to my key chain.

Nothing happened, but any suggestions on what to do should someone have tried something?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Deploy your trunk monkey
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Throw your hands in the air and beg for mercy!! You did a dumb thing parking next to the curb at a bus stop and you did a dumb thing by not keeping some distance between you and the car in front. When you do dumb things and TSHTF then you just have to pay the price.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    Throw your hands in the air and beg for mercy!! You did a dumb thing parking next to the curb at a bus stop and you did a dumb thing by not keeping some distance between you and the car in front. When you do dumb things and TSHTF then you just have to pay the price.
    Tough crowd tonight.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

When you don't think ahead, you may have to pay the price.

Stay armed...always plan ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Tough crowd tonight.
    Yeah, you can say that again.

I'll give you an actual answer, or at least my take on it. If the car in front of you is blocking you from pealing away and swerving at the sight of trouble, then that presents a problem.

I think assessing the situation is best. If a BG comes up to your car and starts to shout at you through your window, you still can't tell for certain if things are getting bad. In that case, I would try to avoid eye contact but keep alert. Hopefully the light would change in time.

If SHTF right away and you find yourself with a broken window, and/or a gun pointed at you, I would most likely play along until I can get out of the car (assuming they let you do so). At that point in time, another situation assessment is in order.

If it was a lonesome gunman, drawing your gun is an option. Of course it could get very bad from there. If it's multiple individuals working together, it would be much more difficult to take control of the situation at that point in time. If your car is insured, I say just let it go. Hopefully they'll just take it and drive away.

That's my late-night answer. Not ideal.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

...I was armed, but drawing from a sitting position in a car is rather slow and awkward at best.
    To solve that problem for me, I've been thinking about getting a left-handed Safepacker holster from Wilderness Tactical Products and anchoring it between my seat and the door.

If a suspicious person is approaching your window, you can casually drop your left hand down to your side where he can't see you getting a grip on your pistol while your right hand still on the wheel. Now you're ready to draw and shoot without having to make an awkward and hurried grab.

Speaking of car scenarios, here's a video they showed in my CHL class of a crazy man attacking a vehicle in stopped traffic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBlE9BQG6zw

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Deploy your trunk monkey

Are your doors locked? Sounds silly, but.....

Can you see the rear wheels of the car in front of you past your car's hood? If you can see his tires, you got room to maneuver.

Able to easily access your EDC? Do you practice drawing from within the car?

Stuff to think about
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

When I travel, I take an extra weapon for my vehicle because sometimes my other ones are buried too deep to get in a hurry. Even if I'm carrying OWB and pocket, drawing while seated and belted in can be delayed.

If I'm in my vehicle, I have a holstered weapon between the console and the passenger's seat. It's about 1" from my hand when my arm is resting on the console.

If I'm in someone else's vehicle, I'll carry my ACD (anti-carjacking device) in a shoulder holster.

In your situation, it would have been difficult, but you could have drawn. If someone stuck a gun in your face, you probably wouldn't have had time to draw. You were not in a good situation, but you know that already.

I'm not going to berate you for your actions, you're doing just fine in that department! >grin< You know you made some mistakes, and I'm sure you won't make them again. When I'm in the car, one of two things are always happening with me. If I am alone, my SDW is on the seat beside me, or tucked under my right thigh. If the wife is with me, I usually just uncover my side arm, and then hook up the seat belt. This leaves the gun exposed, and readly available. Doors are always locked. I always try to stay in the inside lanes while driving (motorcycle training), and watch everything I can at any intersection.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    We've all made mistakes in our SA department, me included. The one thing that I try to do when stopping at a light or anywhere for that matter is to leave room to escape. If someone approaches my vehicle and I'm inside, I look for an avenue of escape and steer my vehicle that direction. I try to never get boxed in anywhere. I drive a 1 ton dually 4x4 diesel truck though, I can pretty much go where I want if I have to.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

First of all: With your doors locked, chances of getting car jacked are very slim. Car jackers will not work to get the car. If you are a middle aged male with locked doors, they will wait for the elderly woman with a walker in the back seat who didn't lock the doors. They are not looking for a fight. Secondly, if you are 'wedged in', the car jacker wouldn't be able to leave either.

Now if the guy at the bus stop actually pulls a gun: Car in reverse, hit the accellerator, once you hear/feel a bang car in drive, and off you go.... at that point, you can always sort out insurance claims later.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

It's a tough situation, but keeping the pistol near by and handy all the time is your best bet i think.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I was driving home late at night a few nights ago. I was traveling down a main street. It was not very busy but rather well lit. I came to a stop light. At the light just happened to be a bus stop. I glanced over to my right and noticed that some of the people waiting for the bus were a bit on the seedy type. My car was stopped essentially where the bus would have stopped so they were just a few feet from me. I was thinking that this would be a likely place where one of them would try to enter my car from the passenger side to try to car jack and/or rob me. There was a car in front and behind me. (Ya, I know, but I was tired and wasn't thinking of defensive tactics.) Of course the doors were locked. I was armed, but drawing from a sitting position in a car is rather slow and awkward at best. I have a spitfire OC spray attached to my key chain.

Nothing happened, but any suggestions on what to do should someone have tried something?
    This situation is exactly why I keep a second gun in the car, not on my person that is easy to reach if someone were to enter.

Seeing as your car should be able to outrun someone at a bus stop, fleeing would be my 1st option is possible. Always leave yourself enough room to maneuver, seedy location/people or not. Keeping the gun available is the next step. No point in having it on you if you can't get to it in time to do you any good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links