Government on your property

This is a discussion on Government on your property within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would you have done? MyFox Washington DC | FOX 5 Investigates: Farmer vs Parks Service...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government on your property

Government on your property

NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    A good reason to buy title insurance...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

As I was watching this report, I was saying to myself, "did this guy buy title insurance?" Then it was mentioned at the very end of the report.

The question is not answered, but if he had title insurance, that would have at least paid for legal challenges against his property.

As it stands now, I'm afraid he has a hard legal battle on his hands. Maybe he can find a good pro bono attorney who is willing to take the case.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Boy, you just never know do you? I hope they don't charge him with destruction of government property cutting those trees down. Pretty odd sort of deal, but if this man has been paying taxes on that part of land now deemed government property...I'd say he had a sizable refund coming. I also hope he comes out with a win on the park ranger's assault (on the taser deal). What year was the National Parks Service created anyway? I'm thinking it was in the 1940's or 1950's? I'd sure hate to get caught up in some bureaucratic red tape like this. I could see the frustration. The feds may throw out the imminent domain card, and we don't know if the property taxes are currently up-to-date either. This guy really needs a smart attorney and fast. What would I do in this case? Go about things legally and to the best of my abilities. Confrontations with trespassers? Well, he should have been told what was going on up front so as not to make any mistakes in that respect. He did actually think the contractors were indeed trespassing on his property. Going to be a real mess and might never get straightened out in his lifetime. We know how hard it is to fight city hall, but we are talking the fed here. That's the big leagues. I wish this fellow and family the best.

One thing that the feds have that others don't, MONEY.

The federal solution to every problem is, "Throw enough money at it and you can fix it." I are a federal employee and I see this every day.

Biker

VIP Member
    I know I'd still be in jail for shooting that Ranger after he tazed me in my own yard. Sadly I think this guy is going to lose.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    The tazering part of the story really sucks, and I think the Park Dept Ranger was out of line and homeowner will win on it when it goes to court. There was a witness to the incident, and the rangers story does not jive with the witnesses. That plus it appears the ranger forged the guys signature on the waiver form.

As to the property question, looks like the homeowner screwed up and didn't do his homework when buying the property. At least he is only loosing 100 foot of property and not the complete acreage.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    At least he is only loosing 100 foot of property and not the complete acreage.
    He probably will when the Park service "discovers" the Purple-Tufted Butt-Huffer Barn Swallow on his property. Oops! Wildlife refuge...

Park service was started in 1916. So how can it own the and?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Park service was started in 1916. So how can it own the and?
    According to the video it was traced back into the mid 1800's as being owned by the federal government. Since they owned it they could shift control to Dept of National Parks.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    According to the video it was traced back into the mid 1800's as being owned by the federal government. Since they owned it they could shift control to Dept of National Parks.

I guess that makes sense. What is title insurance?

VIP Member
    Title insurance is a policy that most mortgage companies require. When property is transferred by title/deed, a search is done to verify the borders. In most cases, especially with a house involved, a new land survey is also done to insure the borders are where they are supposed to be.....

Title Insurance is an insurance policy that covers screw ups like this one. It protects the mortgage holder & the home owner in case something shows up that disputes the prior deeds or surveys. It also protects the buyer & mortgage holder in case a lien is found against a prior owner.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Title insurance is a policy that most mortgage companies require. When property is transferred by title/deed, a search is done to verify the borders. In most cases, especially with a house involved, a new land survey is also done to insure the borders are where they are supposed to be.....

Title Insurance is an insurance policy that covers screw ups like this one. It protects the mortgage holder & the home owner in case something shows up that disputes the prior deeds or surveys. It also protects the buyer & mortgage holder in case a lien is found against a prior owner.

Good to know.Thanks.

Some options :

1) Assault charges on the Park Ranger that tasered him.... and he should have been fired as well ... but you could get him for fraud as well since he forged the form with his name on it....
    2) Sue the Park Ranger for bodily harm, pain and suffering.
    3) I'ld have a motion activated video camera.... with no trespassing signs all along that 100 ft.... and having anyone stepping outside of that 100 ft charged with trespassing with the video as evidence.
    4) I'ld get an injunction in court and sue them for any damage to my part of the property while they were putting in their markers.
    6) They would find out what a long rifle looked like....as I sat there in my chair with it in my lap. ..... to protect myself and my property.

As far as the trees... there was no "intent".... which is present in the law, and I don't think you will find a jury that will find him guilty.

I'ld still have a good federal lawyer checking into occupany laws.... and if any of them can apply in any way to the land.

Makes me wonder how and why the Park Service dug this up and looked into it in the first place.

This is how 'big brother' treats its citizens?

i hope he makes millions...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links