Someone in your yard.

This is a discussion on Someone in your yard. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Call 911 and immediately go inside the house to secure the family. Let the guy have the back yard; if you can see him back ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Someone in your yard.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Call 911 and immediately go inside the house to secure the family. Let the guy have the back yard; if you can see him back there you can probably get inside faster than he can. Most likely scenario he just runs away rather than breaking in, or he decides to continue the breakin anyway and you can protect your family if necessary from a defensive position.

If I lived in Texas I might be more willing to confront, but that's just not the reality here. Besides, isn't your family your #1 priority anyway?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    My own reaction isnt just protection of home and family, but also apprehension. Sure you might get him to run off today, but where is he tomorrow? I intend to end the career of any criminal I meet (be it personally or the police), not just scare them off to protect my own interests. So, I'd try to keep him there until the cops arrive, and if he tries to run, pursue.
    Pursuit is not a good idea, IMHO, unless you are a sworn LEO.

From the posted scenario, you're chasing a simple trespasser, and I doubt you have any lawful right to effect an arrest on someone for a non-violent misdemeanor as a private citizen.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

jfl
    I am amazed (and worried) about the heavy reliance on 911; there are still a lot of area in the country where there is no service, or where the service is touch and go; you'll be loosing precious time and focusing on the wrong subject; distraction is not a good thing in critical situations.
    I am not saying I wouldn't call if I knew my phone was working, I am just trying to fight the idea that calling 911 is a panacea.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Can't shoot the guy in the yard, no threat to self or family at that point. Pulling gun on him until police come can be an issue since you are holding someone prisoner without cause, being in yard is not cause. I would tell him to get the hell off your property and call the police.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Call 911. Watch the intruder through any windows and wait till police arrive. I think you would have to be somewhat restrained. What if someone was looking for a lost dog? To many variables in this type of situation. I would be circumspect but alert.

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    Call 911. Watch the intruder through any windows and wait till police arrive. I think you would have to be somewhat restrained. What if someone was looking for a lost dog? To many variables in this type of situation. I would be circumspect but alert.
    They can be looking for a lost dog, casing the place, or attempting to "spread the good word", but as far as I'm concerned if I had a wife and young child in the home alone, that person's right to life ceases at my property line.

This is especially the case if they've jumped the fence at night to get to where they're at. If they dont have a REALLY good explanation immediately when confronted...they're going to end up a good 5 liters lighter than normal really quick!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Not relying on 911, but just like if there is a fire, you call the fire dept before you try to put it out. This also protects you in case something bad happens. As a concealed carrier you should still be ready to defend or protect your own. I would not advocate pursuit (unless you are a peace officer), that could be asking for trouble.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I am amazed (and worried) about the heavy reliance on 911; there are still a lot of area in the country where there is no service, or where the service is touch and go; you'll be loosing precious time and focusing on the wrong subject; distraction is not a good thing in critical situations.
    I am not saying I wouldn't call if I knew my phone was working, I am just trying to fight the idea that calling 911 is a panacea.
    No one is relying on 911 as a panacea. We all know that the police will show up when they can, but at least if TSHTF the call was made before hand.

With family in the house, and in a state that does not have a castle doctrine, I would make the call, call the house to let them know then enter from the front and take up a defensive position inside, where I can protect the family. Since you are in a state with a fairly liberal castle doctrine, your actions may be different.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am going to jump in here for a quick comment. I am not saying I disagree with the following just looking for explanations.

Why is it not a good idea to pursue a person that ran at the sight or sound of two barking dogs and a neighbor that was alerted by your interest in someone elses back yard?

The person is on foot, so any pursuit in a vehicle will clearly be well below the posted speed limit in a residential neighborhood.

You would be breaking no law on the books that I know of. Why is it a bad idea to follow the person.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I am going to jump in here for a quick comment. I am not saying I disagree with the following just looking for explanations.

Why is it not a good idea to pursue a person that ran at the sight or sound of two barking dogs and a neighbor that was alerted by your interest in someone elses back yard?

The person is on foot, so any pursuit in a vehicle will clearly be well below the posted speed limit in a residential neighborhood.

You would be breaking no law on the books that I know of. Why is it a bad idea to follow the person.
    What would it serve? You can't arrest the guy.

In addition, in the scenario posted there was family in the house. I'd want to make sure they were ok, and that the guy was the only one in the yard.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Some additional information about visibility.

There are street lights approx 100 feet to the west of the location in the front of the house along the street which the fence in on , another street light appox. 180 feet to the east of the location on the street which the fence in son, a street light aprox 130 feet to the north in the alley and a street light approx 90 feet to the north east in my neighbors yard, and two flood lights in my yard about 35 feet from where he was standing.

So there is no issue with being able to see what is happening or whether the person is supposed to be there, looking for a lost pet ect. Not daylight but definately enough light to see what is going on.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Prone til the police arrive.

We don't really have close neighbors, fences or street lights, If someone sneaks around my house, they will be facing a muzzle, one way or another.

Take, for instance, a guy that came around the day before this past election.

Dark out. I'm home alone working on winterizing some plumbing in the crawl space under my living room. The house is dark, but I've got a couple drop lights down there in the hole with me, you could see the light comming from the small windows in the foundation. I crawl out to take a leak behind my shed. I have this fine little piece of wood and steel known as a Winchester Defender in 12ga that I have been hunting porcupines with lately, so it was with me.

I come back to the basement to find someone else in it. I didn't even hear anyone pull in. It is interesting to observe people's reaction to the sound of racking a pump shotgun. This ***** showed himself in short order. Using a remote, i turned on the flood lights on the back of the house.

Now facing my gun, which I have not yet lowered, he breaks into his OBAMA quasi-rhetoric. I am dumbfounded and start yelling again. This wacked out Obama supporter was brazen enough to walk up to a dark house, through my garden, around the back of my very dark house and crawl underneath it just to get me to vote for someone? None the less, while I am squared off on him with a good, heavy turkey load in the chamber? Still yelling, I chased him across the yard and into the driveway. No car? Hes on foot. Chase him further into the road and go back in to call the cops and all of my neighbors.

Luckily, that is the first human encounter that we have had, surprising for the area we live in.

Hmmm If Im not mistaken, SC castle doctrine says your yard is a part of the castle. Thats not to say that you can just shoot someone for being in your yard or for stealing from your car parked in the yard. Im not totally sure, ineresting to think about.

Ill have to go back and read the Dickey case again.

Call 911 short blurb about intruder in yard and hang up. Once I am in my yard the firearm will be in my hand, out of sight, but in hand. The intruder will be illuminated and confronted. If they run, let them go. The police will still be informed. I don't like criminals on the loose, but at this point there is no longer a threat and I am too out of shape to pursue. Except for getting back on the phone and vectoring the police to the person's location I couldn't do anything. My place is with the family.

Castle Doctrine in Texas, criminal tresspass or criminal mischief at night justifies the use of deadly force. Shooting at a retreating person who you believe has your property at night justifies the use of deadly force. The attitude when illuminated and confronted will determine the outcome.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links