Someone in your yard.

This is a discussion on Someone in your yard. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rob72 Agressively confront. +1 Family is inside, I'd call 911, but only AFTER I secure my family's safty.......however I need to accomplish ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Someone in your yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Agressively confront.
    +1

Family is inside, I'd call 911, but only AFTER I secure my family's safty.......however I need to accomplish it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

One of the reasons for calling 911 is so when the tape is played at your or his trial, you have you saying that someone is breaking in (if they are). In addition, it allows you to describe yourself to the PD, so when (if) they arrive in time, they are more likely to know the GG from the BG.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Agressively confront.
    I completely agree...so does my Rhodesian Ridgeback!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you do call the calvary and they come, probably be a good idea to have you weapon holstered when they pull in the driveway.

I don't know if this is the "right" answer or not, but this is what I would do. Let's say I am about to pull into the driveway when I see a man I do not know, who doesn't appear to have a legitimate business on my property . . . First I would not pull into my carport. With the layout of my house that would essentialy block me in. I would turn on the flashers of my SUV and dismount. I would have my right hand grabbing a portion of my shirt so I could lift up and draw if neccesary. With an authoritative voice, I would ask, "Can I help you". If he makes a bs excuse and tries to leave, I would let him. If he makes a move like he is going to try and make entry to my house, he is getting drawn down on. If he makes a move like he is going to try and attack me, he is getting drawn down on. That's just how I would handle it. Of course after any incident I would call the police.
    Last edited by NickEMT; November 26th, 2008 at 12:21 AM. Reason: forgot to add some stuff
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

The phone is your freind

When calling 911 A) Don't hang up after the connection is made and B) Don't just call and put the phone down....especially a cell. LE has to know WHERE you are as well as WHO you are. The dispatcher probably has caller ID, but when a cell is used they can only trace the nearest tower, not your exact location.

I think I would only confront him unless I was armed. If I wasn't armed I would go back inside, and call the police. Keep an eye on him, and if he tried to come in my house I would let him have it. I'm not sure how the law is there, but In KY they must be in your house. However if they are armed and try to kill you, it dosent matter where they are, it is usually justified. You have the right to protect your family and property. When I say armed I mean with any weapon that could harm you. Like a bat, knife brass knuckles, and of course a gun or any other object that could be used as a weapon.

You don't need to chase him if he's running from you. If he is in retreat you have done your job with out firing a single shot. Now if your an off duty LE then chase him. If your not you could be sued. Lets say you capture him. You could be held for unlawful imprisonment. Leaning on a fence is not against the law. As far as him running he could say he wanted exercise. Let him go if he comes back you will be ready for him.

Quote Originally Posted by flaboatbum View Post
    When calling 911 A) Don't hang up after the connection is made and B) Don't just call and put the phone down....especially a cell. LE has to know WHERE you are as well as WHO you are. The dispatcher probably has caller ID, but when a cell is used they can only trace the nearest tower, not your exact location.
    This may not be correct. I think with some of the new technology out there they can triangulate your position from several towers. Perhaps someone on here with more knowledge than me can shed some more information.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    This may not be correct. I think with some of the new technology out there they can triangulate your position from several towers. Perhaps someone on here with more knowledge than me can shed some more information.
    Aren't they building the newer centers to use the newer phones e911 features? The phones GPS is turned on automagically when 911 is dialed and the properly outfitted 911 center is able to track said gps?
    Even the cheapy LG clamshell phones have it built in now. They started including it way back in 2001ish, but most of the centers weren't outfitted to track it yet back then...but I could be wrong.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Call 911, or have neighbor do it if you have time to tell him to. Then draw on the guy and tell him to get on the ground, and hold him and if he so much as twitches wrong and it appears as a threatening move, drop him.

Don't chase him, he is no longer on your property or posing a threat to you or your family. That just looks bad to a jury, even in Texas.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    This has been a great thread. I have been faced with the "someone's" in your yard thing 3 times, and done the wrong thing all three times.

My natural reaction was to go out and confront instead of stay inside and observe/report.

Incident 1) There was a narrow 5 foot easement for the gas company. One day I saw an old guy poking around back there, armed myself and went out to see what the heck he was doing in my yard. He had to jump a 6 foot privacy fence to get in. It turned out OK as he quickly identified himself; though he sure should have knocked on the door and known better. Had I merely watched him I'd have figured out what he was doing and that it was OK.

2) A man was in my back yard. Big guy actually. Again, my natural tendency was to arm myself and go out to check. It turned out he was fixing the fence my neighbor and I share, and which we agreed to have fixed. I'd forgotten someone would come some time to do it.

3) I charged outside unarmed, to confront a young man back there. My thinking was that I could handle him. Probably not. And fortunately he took off running. He was definitely up to no good and I'm lucky he didn't knife me.

So, with some experience, this thread has been an education. Stay inside where you are safe and can defend makes sense.

Ok, well here is what I will do if I come home that two minute earlier and the guy is still looking like he is going over my fence or if he is in my back yard.

He will get confronted. I will pull my vehicle up into the yard where he is and depending on how many off road lights are uncovered on the Jeep at the time, those will be turned on. I will exit my vehicle and ask him what the heck he thinks he is doing.

If he is outside my fence and he is immediately making excuses, backpeddeling etc, 911 will be called at that point. If he stays there we are good. If he starts to run, I will get back into my vehicle and follow while on the phone with the police letting them know exactly where we are headed.

If he is inside my fence, he will be drawn on, and told to remain very still and take a possition that is very close to the yard or patio depending on where he is at the time. The police will be called and I will let them take it from there. I am not worried about the dogs, if they happen to bite him, which they probably wouldn't, well too bad, he shouldn't be in my yard. That is the risk you take when you jump over someones fence where there are dogs that don't know you.

From the area the guy was in when this happened I was able to see the front door when coming home, and the two outside doors on the back of the house from the area in the yard where the guy was standing, so I would know if any entry into the house was made by someone with him.

Some are going to ding me for not calling 911 first, but the way I look at it, those few seconds that it takes to call and explain to them where I am since it would be with a cell phone and trying to hold the phone when initially confronting the guy might make a difference depending on what his intentions are. I will stop his entry into my yard or towards my family first, then let the police know what the situation is.

Oh and for those that say stay inside, well you missed the fact that I was out of the house at a buddies and on my way home, the wife and young one were the only ones inside. I guess some missed that part. I hope no one is suggesting making an entrance into the house and opening it up to their possible entry towards your family. I think that it is probably just a misread.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

In regards to pursuing a suspect, does citizens arrest apply or is that a myth?
    But being as I live in the country, trespassing is certainly going to be a life threating activity.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I am going to jump in here for a quick comment. I am not saying I disagree with the following just looking for explanations.

Why is it not a good idea to pursue a person that ran at the sight or sound of two barking dogs and a neighbor that was alerted by your interest in someone elses back yard?

The person is on foot, so any pursuit in a vehicle will clearly be well below the posted speed limit in a residential neighborhood.

You would be breaking no law on the books that I know of. Why is it a bad idea to follow the person.
    So you decide to pursue the BG. Half a block down he turns around, pulls a knife and confronts you. You use your firearm and shoot the guy. Next thing you know, you are wearing a pair of handcuffs courtesy of your local PD. Why? Because the initial threat was gone (BG retreated & left) and with you chasing the BG, you created the situation that ended in the use lethal force. If you are responsible for creating the situation, you forsake self-defense. Remember, the basic tenet of the use of deadly force is Reasonable Fear Of Death or Grave Bodily Harm. They BG running away is no threat.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links