Someone in your yard.

This is a discussion on Someone in your yard. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Miggy, You forgot the fact that I was following the guy in my vehicle. Granted I have a Jeep but there are still solid doors ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Someone in your yard.

Miggy,

You forgot the fact that I was following the guy in my vehicle. Granted I have a Jeep but there are still solid doors and it will go faster than 15 mph.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I noticed a man in my back yard not too long ago, dressed in a nondescript manner, with no apparent reason for being there. I observed him until he was leaving my property, when from my door I asked I could help him. He indicated no, held up what I took to be a meter-reading devise, and gestured to a utilities company van parked half a block away.

I called and verified his version of events. It checked out. I was prepared with the necessary information for the police had it not checked out.

Anything more or less would have been imprudent.
    God, country, family.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Miggy,

You forgot the fact that I was following the guy in my vehicle. Granted I have a Jeep but there are still solid doors and it will go faster than 15 mph.
    Why follow? You cannot predict what the guy will do and if you get into a situation that requires the use of your firearm, you will end up being the BG in the eyes of the law. He might have a and armed buddy waiting for him in a getaway car or the buddy can use the car as weapon. The fact is you do not know what you are walking/running/driving into. Unless the BG kidnapped a member of your family (pets do not count), break away and let him flee.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I faced this situation a month or so ago. I came home and there were 3 people in my back yard looking around at some cars I have back there. I get out of my car and they start walking toward me( they were about 200 feet away)

As they are walking I unzipped the bag where I keep my pistol in my car and just left it there with the car door open, when they were within speaking distance I asked them what they were doing and told them they were trespassing, as I was talking I dialed 911. One said "Oh ****" They told me they were just looking around. I told them they are not allowed to look around.

They walked back to their truck and started to leave, that is when I got out my digital camera that stays in the bag with my pistol and started taking pictures.

One thing that the 911 operator said that made me think was "Did you ask them to leave and they refused" I never did specifically ask them to leave, next time I will to cover my butt.

Either way no weapon needed to be drawn and they were arrested less than 2 blocks away, mostly because they were illegals not because they were trespassing.

Unfortunately it seems there is little a home owner can do about trespassing except call 911, now if the person becomes confrontational or is caught breaking and entering that is a whole other subject.

I would confront him with my main objective being to stop him from entering the house.
    Ask him WTH he thinks he is doing. If he runs, so be it.
    Nothing good would come from a private citizen detaining someone against their will for being in the yard.
    Last edited by Miggy; November 30th, 2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Creative workaroundson language

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links