First time SD - Page 2

First time SD

This is a discussion on First time SD within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett A powerful dog with a natural inclination to be aggressive is more like it. I don't mean to turn this ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time SD

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    A powerful dog with a natural inclination to be aggressive is more like it.
    I don't mean to turn this thread into a discussion on the merits of different type of breeds but . . . .

I do think that Pit Bulls do have a bit of inclination to violence bred into them. However, I do believe with responsible rearing, the Pit Bull can be an amazing family dog. If you raise it like you would raise a Labrador, ie, cuddle it, play with it, socialize it with other dogs and children, it will act like a Labrador. But if you raise it like a junkyard attack dog, ie, chain it up in your backyard 24/7, roughhouse with it excessively, and teach it that other people are the enemy, then there is a good chance the dog is going to grow up to be a monster. My fiance's sister recently moved in and brought with her a Pit Bull/Labrador mix. The dog is 60 pounds with a head the size of a soccer ball :). I was a bit turned off when I heard the dog was moving in. I can tell you I am glad it did. This dog is one of the smartest, gentlest, and obedient dogs I have ever met. It puts up with my fiances 4lb min pin/chihauha mix biting and climbing all over it, it doesn't jet when you open the front door like my silly Lab Champ has a penchant to do, and it is fanatically loyal to all those in the house. The only thing I would worry about is if someone found a way into our house uninvited. I think I would be spending a lot of money getting the blood out of the carpets ;).

It's also nice to hear the thread starters trust in 20g as a viable self defense weapon. I would not want to be in the way of my pistol gripped Mossberg 500 when the #2 buck starts coming out that barrel.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    To bad you have to go into a neighboring pro-crime state and are required to be defenseless. There's something wrong with that.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Sounds like two good pitbulls to me.
    And one to go. Sounds like a good expenditure of $1 for the three shells. I hope your golden is ok; they are most excellent dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    I don't mean to turn this thread into a discussion on the merits of different type of breeds but . . . .

I do think that Pit Bulls do have a bit of inclination to violence bred into them. However, I do believe with responsible rearing, the Pit Bull can be an amazing family dog.
    I totally agree with that. The way that it is raised has a lot do do with it, but also like you said, there is that inclination, that natural, inherent tendency to go into attack mode for whatever reason. It might be a legit reason, it might not be. I have been around numerous dogs of the like and have only a handful of bad experiences. I practically grew up with my uncles 140lb Rotty, who let me climb all over him, but could throw a full pail of joint compound clear across the room on command.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    It's also nice to hear the thread starters trust in 20g as a viable self defense weapon. I would not want to be in the way of my pistol gripped Mossberg 500 when the #2 buck starts coming out that barrel.
    I love the 20ga, it is totally underrated. The 20ga can put out 75% of the lead that comes out of a 12ga with half the recoil at nearly the same velocity. I'd say thats enough. I have a mossy 500 pistol grip too, which is the gun that I bought as a result of the attack. The best part about it is that it is light, small, 5+1 shells and my wife can and will shoot it. I can't say that for the 12ga. I can shoot it one handed if needed, under perfect control. I keep those 3" Federal #2 buck loads in it. I wouldn't want to get in the way of that.

Any neigh-sayers can read this: The Box O' Truth #22 - 20 Gauge Shotgun - Page 2
    If you read this, you'll know why I had to shoot the pit 3 times with the birdshot...

Quote Originally Posted by user
    To bad you have to go into a neighboring pro-crime state and are required to be defenseless. There's something wrong with that.
    Amen to that. I just try and avoid that sorry state. I have made some phone calls though and have tried to call in some favors, but no one sounds too optimistic for me to get that MA CWP.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry
    I hope your golden is ok; they are most excellent dogs.
    Hes going great. And he is an awesome dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Take him to court to recover your expenses or see if your covered under your
    homeowners insurance and they will go after him. Sometimes this is the only
    thing guys like this understand getting hit in the pocket book.
    Damages done to you by his dogs may be covered under HIS policy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    The old man took care of it with the business end of a pick axe. One more dead pitbull.

How does that saying go, "Don't pick a fight with an old man, if he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by akhimark View Post
    Damages done to you by his dogs may be covered under HIS policy.
    I did plenty of damage. I killed his stud, one of his females is dead, he had to put up a big expensive fence and then he had to sell his house. In a crappy economy none the less.

Word on the street is that he also lost his Homeowners insurance because the police called and informed the insurance company when they issued the violation. I can't back that up, but I can always hope.

No sense salting the wound. I have long since forgotten the cost. I still have my wife and my dogs(Order?), a trophy picture (I know I'm sick...) and a few new guns to show for the experience. As well as one less a$$hole neighbor.

I think I came out on top.

Good on you for stopping a dangerous animal--owned by an irresponsible person...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

AVIVIII,

I agree - I'd say you came out on top, financially. Could you r Buddy's dad find out the really - really's of out of state carry?

Hope you find an agreeable solution.
    Steve

I am glad you, your lady, and the pup ended up ok.

On a similar topic though, would you have the right to shoot the dog if he never turned on your wife? what if you stunned him long enough to get the pup out of harms way, but then the pit went back in for more (without ever putting a human life in danger)?

To me, my dog is part of my family..but Im not sure how the "law" would see this.

Quote Originally Posted by camdz View Post
    To me, my dog is part of my family..but Im not sure how the "law" would see this.
    Same here, but my dog doesn't hurt people.

Legally? It was on my property. I really don't need any other reason. Regardless of whether or not it ever went for my wife, even if it never went for my puppy, it was displaying hostile tendencies and had in the past.

I got curious and fond this law:
    NH RSA 466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized.
    Any person may kill a dog that suddenly assaults the person while such person is peaceably walking or riding without the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog that is found out of the enclosure or immediate care of its owner or keeper worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, other domestic animals or other persons.

The way I've interpreted FL law is that once the animal has become a nuisance (I've been told being on your property doesn't count, but endangering one of your animals does) it is legal to shoot it. YMMV in other states.

Cheers
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    With that, I have a question. What would I have to do, to be able to, at bare minimum, take my gun with me into MA and other oppressive, Nazi states of the likes? (MA being the original problem.) Not even carrying it, (I've already looked into getting a permit) but just having it with me so I can re-assemble and unlock it upon crossing back into the wonderful Live Free or Die state.
    Most states (MA included) will allow you to have a legally owned weapon for limited purposes. So, if the state you are visiting allows you to have a weapon at your friend's house, then you can transport it locked up and unloaded according to the interstate transport provisions of the Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) (part of the 1986 gun control law that restricted full-auto).

For Massachusetts specifically, it is actually easy to get a non-resident unrestricted (which is to say, carry) permit. The problem it that it is a one-year deal and costs about a C-note, so it is expensive to keep it up. I know a bunch of NH-based IDPA shooters who have non-resident Mass. carry permits because of the frequency with which they travel south of the border.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Get him on Judge Judy she hates irresponsible pet owners,recover all your expenses and let us know time and date of appearance if you go that route
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Glad to hear that all are safe. Good shooting under pressure.
    Mykel

more later...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links