First time SD

This is a discussion on First time SD within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me last March, but I figured I would share my experience. My wife, the dogs (one a 5 month old Golden puppy) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time SD

First time SD

This happened to me last March, but I figured I would share my experience.

My wife, the dogs (one a 5 month old Golden puppy) and I were coming home from a friends house last night. I wasn't carrying and I took the revolver out of my truck due to the gun-unfriendly laws of the neighboring state where my friend lives. We got home I let the dogs out of the back seat to do their business, my wife went to unlock the house and I started to unload the back. No sooner did I even get the tailgate open, did I hear the beginnings of a dog fight and my wife screaming. I came around the corner of the house to see a pitbull had my puppy in some sort of death-grip-choke-hold and his mouth around the puppy's neck and my 120 lb wife kicking the 75 lb pitbull in the ribs repeatedly with seemingly no effect. As I am running over there the pitbull gave up on my puppy and turned on my wife. I grabbed a steel grain scoop that I was using to chop ice earlier that day. At 6'4" and 280 I can really throw around the big shovel. I hit the pitbull three times in the head with the shovel, the last time breaking the handle and dazing the dog enough for my wife to get away. I turned, ran inside and grabbed my wifes 20ga pump skeet gun and a handful of shells as the dog was getting back up. I came back out the door loading up and saw the dog starting to charge at me. I shot it three times in the face/chest at about 8, 7 and 5 feet, respectively, with #6 shot. Dead Pitbull. I probably only needed to shoot him once, but he was still moving after the first one and then I just kept shooting, instinctively/mechanically until I spent all three, and thats all I had the chance to load.

Fortunately, everyone was alright. The pitbull punctured the leather on my wife's Georgia boots five times, but was unable to get through the the insulation, liner and gore-tex. The puppy went to the all night vet clinic and for a ridiculous price, got tested and sewn back up. The pitbull was tested and found negative for rabies, so that was good.

The neighbor (and I use that term loosely) lives nearly 1/4 mile away from us on the other side of the road. People in the area have had increasing problems with this guy and the police/dog officer has had no solution or punishment for any of the things that have happened. Apparently, the one that I got was the champion stud. He still has two more females, one of them trapped my grandmother in her car a week earlier.

You know you can go through the scenarios 1000 times in your head, practice finding the guns at night, practice loading them, but if I didn't have one handy, we could have all been in trouble. Luckily for us, the gun was still on the table from cleaning it earlier that day and a box of shells were by the door.

I wanted a gun that I could keep handy and hide downstairs. This morning I went out and bought another 20ga, a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip and a 18" barrel. It hides nicely, hanging on a sling behind a freestanding cupboard in my dining room.

The next day, I got a call from the chief of police in town. The guy has been fined $500, ordered to put up a 6' chain link fence and if there is any problem with the other two dogs, he will not be allowed to keep them or any others. It has also been suggested that I contact his homeowners insurance and inform them of the fact that he keeps pitbulls.

So total losses for the night:
    Vet Bills - $350
    Insulated Georgia Boots - $130
    Shovel Handle - $20
    3 Shells - $1

The incident happened on a Sunday night. That following Wednesday, the old man that lives next to me was outside with his "weathered" female German shepherd. One of the female pitbulls got loose again and wound up cornering the man and his dog behind his garage. The old man took care of it with the business end of a pick axe. One more dead pitbull.

I hate to celebrate the death of another dog, but the result is great. The owner packed up and left town over the weekend and a nice shiny new Re/MAX sign in front of the house soon followed.

There are now 3 "protection guns" scattered around the house (18" 20ga, 18" 12ga, and an ugly 16" 30-30) in addition to my carry and sporting guns.

With that, I have a question. What would I have to do, to be able to, at bare minimum, take my gun with me into MA and other oppressive, Nazi states of the likes? (MA being the original problem.) Not even carrying it, (I've already looked into getting a permit) but just having it with me so I can re-assemble and unlock it upon crossing back into the wonderful Live Free or Die state.

2. Remove Ads

Glad your family is ok, and that it is only a monetary loss with you. And sorry you live so close to the state of MA. maybe you could move or have your friend come visit you.

But, Here we go with the pit bull stories.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Wow! I know I would have done the same thing. I love my family and my dogs (2) minpins. That pit would have had mine for a snack. I agree that It stinks to have to kill another persons dog but you had no choice. Just out of curiosity, what part of NH are you from? I have been looking into the same thing as far as transporting into MA when I have to cross the border and it seems easier to smuggle illegals in a box truck across the border than to get a straight answer from any LEO in MA. Good luck in your search, and please post if you find a solution.

I am halfway between Concord and Portsmouth on Route 4. The town is Northwood.

I have received the same confusing babel from Mass State Police. I went to school in Worcester and my wifes family lives mostly in RI, so unfortunately, I am spending more time in the state than I would like...

I will let you know if I come up with anything.

Those are the unspoken times that a sidearm with you is so important...to be able to immediately pull a .45 or 9mm to end the savage attack NOW, and not have to run back to the car or into the house to retrieve the lead catapult.
    Glad you and your family were OK.

Stay armed...always, if you can...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    I have learned over time to keep something ready to go, that is easy to get at. Under pressure is not the time to find ammo that fits the gun that you happened to grab---tooo many possibilities of mistakes if you have more than a few guns. If it is not on me, well I want it close by and ready to do it's job.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Take him to court to recover your expenses or see if your covered under your
    homeowners insurance and they will go after him. Sometimes this is the only
    thing guys like this understand getting hit in the pocket book.

I agree. Irresponsibility needs recourse.

Is it me or has there been alot of Pit Bull stories lately?

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy_26 View Post
    I agree. Irresponsibility needs recourse.

Is it me or has there been alot of Pit Bull stories lately?
    Just like a gun in the wrong hands, a powerful dog brought up improperly can be deadly. I would have done the same thing if my wife was attacked. The owner should have faced civil penalties if not criminal charges.

VIP Member
    Sounds like two good pitbulls to me.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by be44321 View Post
    Just like a gun in the wrong hands, a powerful dog brought up improperly can be deadly.
    A powerful dog with a natural inclination to be aggressive is more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    I am halfway between Concord and Portsmouth on Route 4. The town is Northwood.

I have received the same confusing babel from Mass State Police. I went to school in Worcester and my wifes family lives mostly in RI, so unfortunately, I am spending more time in the state than I would like...

I will let you know if I come up with anything.

Why not get a MA non-resident permit?

because its $100 non-refundable and a laundry list of reason that they don't have to give it to you. Besides that, you have to register the guns you want to carry in the state (assuming that they are even MA legal) and a bunch of other BS. Oh yeah, and its only good for a year.

Only one out of 10 people that I have asked that have tried to get have been granted one. He is a lawyer in NH and his dad is a big-shot lawyer with multiple offices in MA.

If I could guarantee getting it, $100 wouldn't be that bad, I would just register one of my six-guns. But there's no reason to go piss $100 into the wind. There has to be a legal way to transport them, even if it is broken down and locked up.

Invest in a garden tool and keep it sharp but let it rust over a tad for aesthetics.
    Place that inside of a proper sheath and keep it inside of a cheap toolbox amongst other random selection tools and rubber hose and junk also kept in the toolbox.
    Place the toolbox into the back of your truck/trunk of your car for trips to MA.

Next time what you do is go for the garden tool and you place one high energied blow to the animals neck. And I mean a blow. Not a swipe or something. I'm talking chop.
    If anyone asks you about it, it's a garden tool. You use it to clear brush high and low.

- Craftsman
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    because its $100 non-refundable and a laundry list of reason that they don't have to give it to you. Besides that, you have to register the guns you want to carry in the state (assuming that they are even MA legal) and a bunch of other BS. Oh yeah, and its only good for a year.

Only one out of 10 people that I have asked that have tried to get have been granted one. He is a lawyer in NH and his dad is a big-shot lawyer with multiple offices in MA.

If I could guarantee getting it, $100 wouldn't be that bad, I would just register one of my six-guns. But there's no reason to go piss $100 into the wind. There has to be a legal way to transport them, even if it is broken down and locked up.
    As far as I know, There is no requirement to register any gun as a non-resident. Any gun that is legal to carry in your home state is legal to carry as a non-res. There is no restriction on mag capacity as long as it is legal in NH. I am currently contesting a denial of my MA LTC. I have to re-apply and pay the $100 again. I had a cop friend of mine call the office that deals with license issuing and I might be able to get a restricted license for work. I often find myself in the less desirable areas of Boston, alone, with a 200,000 dollar truck and usually at about 3:00 in the morning. To summarize: Mass s*@ks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links