How well do you know your home.

This is a discussion on How well do you know your home. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod Only thing I think about is inadvertently stepping on the stray dog or cat squeaky toy. LOL! If a person ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How well do you know your home.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Only thing I think about is inadvertently stepping on the stray dog or cat squeaky toy. LOL!
    If a person has a pet, then he can't know where everything is in the dark. A colleague of mine went down his stairs at night, stepped on his cat, apparently both he and the cat spazzed. He fell and fractured a scapula.

2. Remove Ads

We have low-watt "glow" night lights in a couple rooms and the bathroom. Surprising how well they work and don't destroy your night vision.
    Steve

I've got a dog and somehow he knows not to get underfoot but to follow me when I get up at night. I never turn on the lights so I don't wake up my other half.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Like the back of my hand. Only thing I think about is inadvertently stepping on the stray dog or cat squeaky toy. LOL!

LMAO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    At any given time my kids have approximately 125 toys scattered on the floor. Its a BG nightmare.
    Kid landmines.......That could be a good thing. lol (skateboards, big wheel, PS3 controler cable.........ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I never turn the light on when I get up at night, you mean there are those that do ? I do have 2 small lights on, right by the doors, so if someone comes in them.... I can see them, but they won't see me...... not enough light comes off of them to light a room.

But anything goes on, my 2 dogs are at alert and on it instantly. So, even if they were standing in the dark.... I would know right where they were.
    Yes there are people that do turn on the lights if they hear a noise. Don't ask me why. I have a Min Pin that hears everything. She tells me when the UPS man is here before he even shuts off his truck. And she has picked up a very bad habit of jumping off the bed when she hears something, like thunder, rain, dogs barking, The bad habit is she jumps on me somewhere I am sure to wake up from!!! (The little #$*%#^!!!)

i actually have a really good memory, every single building ive lived in, and most ive been in i still remember the floor plan to a T. im confident i could be blindfolded and upside down and still find my way around
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I know my home very well.

It is 17 steps to my bedroom door from my side of the bed. Another 3 to the top of the stairs, 15 steps down to the first floor. From the staircase to the front door, 28 steps.

I know where the blind spots are, what I can take cover behind and what only provides concealment. I have practiced clearing the house.

I have several flashlights to use in the case of a break in at night. Never flip on the lights while searching the house. Good way to get shot.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I know my home very well. With that said, I have 4 kids (4, 6, 9, 11) so what's on the floor changes about every 15 minutes or so.

The last thing I do as I go to bed is make sure there is a path from my room to the main part of the house and that I know what is around.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

I like long guns for defense and I like to take my house down and move about the home. Shouldering left and right as I transition from room to room. This is done with nobody home of course. It is important to know the home and its weaknesses and strongpoints. papa

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    I can walk through my entire house without any lights on.

Yep...me too. I've lived here 13 years.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I know my house very well, have practiced a many scenerios. I know the sounds my house makes, doors, windows, floor and the bushes etc. outside..I can tel between a animal and a human. My wife and I have practiced many a time. I'm confortable that I would be well prepaired for a home invasion...both light and dark enviroments. I know how bright my 12gauge is and my .45acp, and have setup ways for me to counter the blinding flash with sleepy eyes. Home invasions have become a bit more previlant around as of late and my wife and I are confident that we could defend ourselves effeciantly.

I know the house well in the dark.

now that you make think about it, I'll be so screwed everyone in here would act like raging antworks, running from door to door.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Theres only 2 ways in or out of my portion of the house (Read: Family owned 3 family) and my bedroom is in the perfect spot to intercept both of them. But I could walk around the entire place at night if I had to, even the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    The last thing I do as I go to bed is make sure there is a path from my room to the main part of the house and that I know what is around.
    I know my house very well. I even built it!
    But instead of kids leaving things lie, it's my wife!
    Don't know how many times I've pointed out that she can't just leave stuff on the floor. (Purse, book bag, books, bags of stuff coming into the house, shoes, etc.) Don't get me wrong she keeps a tidy house, just gets distracted, on to other things, and then goes to bed without removing said boobie-traps.
    I know what is supposed to be where and am just fine moving through the house in the dark. That is until I get snared by a purse strap.

The things we have to put up with! Sheesh!
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

I would have no problem locating the intruder...he would be the one with the cairn terrier attached to his leg, stumbling around and crashing into stuff. Easy target for the mossy. I'll be aiming high, for you dog lovers.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

2 kids I got more toys around my house best of luck to anyone in my house after lights out.
    As far as knowing your house a BG doesn't have to know to kill you in it, that's why house clearing is for LE.
    After grabbing the kids no need to go out of the room, 911 and wait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links