Defensive Carry banner

How well do you know your home.

2K views 29 replies 27 participants last post by  gotammo 
#1 ·
How well do you know your home. Can you move around your home in the dark? If there was an intruder in your home are you one of the guys that will flip on a light switch waiting to get shot?

A homeowner has the advantage of knowing his or her surroundings. The intruder doesn't. If you have to turn on a light to see someone breaking in. You just gave up that advantage.

Granted if you have kids, or house guests.This task becomes more difficult. But I think you get my point.

I can walk freely in my home. I know where everything is. If I had to seek cover. I know where it is.

Rocky

#2 ·
I think I know my home pretty good but there are times I think It's been stealing from me,Items I know I have turn up missing and when I start looking really hard all of a sudden they turn up in the weirdest places
Back to the post If you go looking for a possible burglar in your home,no matter how well you know the layout,all the burglar has to do is lay in wait if he thinks your coming,also there may be more than one.In most houses the bedroom area is pretty easy to figure out and to get to my living room would require me to walk past 3 Bdrms and down a L shaped hallway.I'll call 911 and defend where I'm at or the hallway coming to my Bdrm which gives me a view of the front and back door so if BG tries to leave with my stuff they will find him where he drops,if I had kids I would search and clear and get everyone in one room then defend it

#3 ·
I think I know my home pretty good but there are times I think It's been stealing from me,Items I know I have turn up missing and when I start looking really hard all of a sudden they turn up in the weirdest places

lol I know what you mean I know somewhere in my home. There is one hell of a sock collection!!!

#5 · (Edited)
To answer to your questions...

Very well.

Yes!

No!

Additionally, I practice...I can stay unseen and line my nightsight up on any entrance.
...and my Rhodesian Ridgeback likes the dark, too!

#6 ·
Having an astronomy background, I like night vision. I am quite practiced in moving around my house in the dark. If someone entered stealthily I would be in a really dark room looking at them down in the entrance area which receives some light from the streetlight out front. No way would I turn on any kind of light.

#8 ·
When I was in the Army, I have been amazed how people "loose it" in the dark. I was, for 6 months or so, supervising the training of 60+ guys 20-24 years old, soon to be officers.
The first few night combat exercises were an unbelievable disaster.

But when you know how to use it, darkness is your friend.
It's just the 2 of us in the house; most of the lights are remote controlled by X-10 modules; from my bed and other places I can turn lights on and off in a room in the other wing, or in the garage or ...

Due to the layout of the house it would be fairly easy to know where the threat would be and turn on the light just next to him :image035:
would make him nervous ???

Short answer: yes, very well.

As far as things disappearing and reappearing later at a place I've already looked twice, it's happening more and more ... must be something in the air :wink:

#10 ·
I too know my house well and know which floor boards squeek and which don't. The pooch likes it dark too. I boarded my pooch yesterday and miss her being home. Picking her up tommorrow. We have to many people and didn't want her in her create all day. BG would not be happy.

#11 ·
How well do you know your home.
Like the back of my hand. Only thing I think about is inadvertently stepping on the stray dog or cat squeaky toy. LOL!

#12 ·
I too know my home very well... even the floor squeeks inside and out. My night vision is guite good and so is my dogs! :image035:

#15 ·
I never turn the light on when I get up at night, you mean there are those that do ? I do have 2 small lights on, right by the doors, so if someone comes in them.... I can see them, but they won't see me...... not enough light comes off of them to light a room.

But anything goes on, my 2 dogs are at alert and on it instantly. So, even if they were standing in the dark.... I would know right where they were.

#20 ·
i actually have a really good memory, every single building ive lived in, and most ive been in i still remember the floor plan to a T. im confident i could be blindfolded and upside down and still find my way around

#21 ·
I know my home very well.

It is 17 steps to my bedroom door from my side of the bed. Another 3 to the top of the stairs, 15 steps down to the first floor. From the staircase to the front door, 28 steps.

I know where the blind spots are, what I can take cover behind and what only provides concealment. I have practiced clearing the house.

I have several flashlights to use in the case of a break in at night. Never flip on the lights while searching the house. Good way to get shot.

#22 ·
I know my home very well. With that said, I have 4 kids (4, 6, 9, 11) so what's on the floor changes about every 15 minutes or so.

The last thing I do as I go to bed is make sure there is a path from my room to the main part of the house and that I know what is around.

#28 ·
The last thing I do as I go to bed is make sure there is a path from my room to the main part of the house and that I know what is around.
I know my house very well. I even built it!
But instead of kids leaving things lie, it's my wife!
Don't know how many times I've pointed out that she can't just leave stuff on the floor. (Purse, book bag, books, bags of stuff coming into the house, shoes, etc.) Don't get me wrong she keeps a tidy house, just gets distracted, on to other things, and then goes to bed without removing said boobie-traps.
I know what is supposed to be where and am just fine moving through the house in the dark. That is until I get snared by a purse strap.

The things we have to put up with! Sheesh! :theyareontome:

#25 ·
I know my house very well, have practiced a many scenerios. I know the sounds my house makes, doors, windows, floor and the bushes etc. outside..I can tel between a animal and a human. My wife and I have practiced many a time. I'm confortable that I would be well prepaired for a home invasion...both light and dark enviroments. I know how bright my 12gauge is and my .45acp, and have setup ways for me to counter the blinding flash with sleepy eyes. Home invasions have become a bit more previlant around as of late and my wife and I are confident that we could defend ourselves effeciantly.

#26 ·
I know the house well in the dark.

now that you make think about it, I'll be so screwed everyone in here would act like raging antworks, running from door to door.

#30 ·
2 kids I got more toys around my house best of luck to anyone in my house after lights out.
As far as knowing your house a BG doesn't have to know to kill you in it, that's why house clearing is for LE.
After grabbing the kids no need to go out of the room, 911 and wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.