How well do you know your home.

This is a discussion on How well do you know your home. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How well do you know your home. Can you move around your home in the dark? If there was an intruder in your home are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How well do you know your home.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

How well do you know your home. Can you move around your home in the dark? If there was an intruder in your home are you one of the guys that will flip on a light switch waiting to get shot?

A homeowner has the advantage of knowing his or her surroundings. The intruder doesn't. If you have to turn on a light to see someone breaking in. You just gave up that advantage.

Granted if you have kids, or house guests.This task becomes more difficult. But I think you get my point.

I can walk freely in my home. I know where everything is. If I had to seek cover. I know where it is.

Rocky

2. Remove Ads

I think I know my home pretty good but there are times I think It's been stealing from me,Items I know I have turn up missing and when I start looking really hard all of a sudden they turn up in the weirdest places
    Back to the post If you go looking for a possible burglar in your home,no matter how well you know the layout,all the burglar has to do is lay in wait if he thinks your coming,also there may be more than one.In most houses the bedroom area is pretty easy to figure out and to get to my living room would require me to walk past 3 Bdrms and down a L shaped hallway.I'll call 911 and defend where I'm at or the hallway coming to my Bdrm which gives me a view of the front and back door so if BG tries to leave with my stuff they will find him where he drops,if I had kids I would search and clear and get everyone in one room then defend it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I think I know my home pretty good but there are times I think It's been stealing from me,Items I know I have turn up missing and when I start looking really hard all of a sudden they turn up in the weirdest places

lol I know what you mean I know somewhere in my home. There is one hell of a sock collection!!!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I know my home like its the back of my hand, I built it. I have no kids at home so if I cant find anything I blame it on my wife.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

To answer to your questions...

Very well.

Yes!

No!

Additionally, I practice...I can stay unseen and line my nightsight up on any entrance.
    ...and my Rhodesian Ridgeback likes the dark, too!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 27th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Having an astronomy background, I like night vision. I am quite practiced in moving around my house in the dark. If someone entered stealthily I would be in a really dark room looking at them down in the entrance area which receives some light from the streetlight out front. No way would I turn on any kind of light.

I can walk through my entire house without any lights on.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

jfl
    When I was in the Army, I have been amazed how people "loose it" in the dark. I was, for 6 months or so, supervising the training of 60+ guys 20-24 years old, soon to be officers.
    The first few night combat exercises were an unbelievable disaster.

But when you know how to use it, darkness is your friend.
    It's just the 2 of us in the house; most of the lights are remote controlled by X-10 modules; from my bed and other places I can turn lights on and off in a room in the other wing, or in the garage or ...

Due to the layout of the house it would be fairly easy to know where the threat would be and turn on the light just next to him
    would make him nervous ???

Short answer: yes, very well.

As far as things disappearing and reappearing later at a place I've already looked twice, it's happening more and more ... must be something in the air
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    I can walk through my entire house without any lights on.
    This.

I too know my house well and know which floor boards squeek and which don't. The pooch likes it dark too. I boarded my pooch yesterday and miss her being home. Picking her up tommorrow. We have to many people and didn't want her in her create all day. BG would not be happy.

Like the back of my hand. Only thing I think about is inadvertently stepping on the stray dog or cat squeaky toy. LOL!

VIP Member
    I too know my home very well... even the floor squeeks inside and out. My night vision is guite good and so is my dogs!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    At any given time my kids have approximately 125 toys scattered on the floor. Its a BG nightmare.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Very well...

-Jeff-

I never turn the light on when I get up at night, you mean there are those that do ? I do have 2 small lights on, right by the doors, so if someone comes in them.... I can see them, but they won't see me...... not enough light comes off of them to light a room.

But anything goes on, my 2 dogs are at alert and on it instantly. So, even if they were standing in the dark.... I would know right where they were.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links