Its the middle of the night, and someone starts banging on your front door...

This is a discussion on Its the middle of the night, and someone starts banging on your front door... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me, i just want to see what you guys would do. Middle of the night, really quiet, you're sitting on the computer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its the middle of the night, and someone starts banging on your front door...

Its the middle of the night, and someone starts banging on your front door...

This happened to me, i just want to see what you guys would do.

Middle of the night, really quiet, you're sitting on the computer and someone starts banging loudly on the front door. You go check the peep hole and no one is there. After a minute you find it is the young boy who lives next door. You open the door and he's crying hysterically. He says his mom's boyfriend is beating her up and he needs your help. What do you do?

2. Remove Ads

Take care of the kid and call the police. Going over and getting involved will most likely end with you getting into trouble.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Call the cops, don't get involved in a domestic dispute.

But keep your situational awareness and make sure you neighbor's dispute doesn't transfer into your home.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Call the cops, don't get involved in a domestic dispute.

But keep your situational awareness and make sure you neighbor's dispute doesn't transfer into your home.
    +1

A domestic is bad with potentialto get worse for you and the child.
    Stay clear and call the Police.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have heard from a LEO that it is common, during a domestic fight between man and woman, that woman turns on person restraining the male perp. Nobody said it had to be rationale I guess.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

middle of the night

A very long time ago, I worked for a garage. Fixing and towing cars.
    At night we normally would get a dinner order together for the guys, that were left.
    Myself and another guy got into one of the tow trucks to pick up supper. I was the passanger.
    As we approached the pizza shop there was a guy beating on a woman pretty bad. I told the driver to let me out and go call police. Pre 911 and cell phones.
    I ran over and stopped the man from beating the women, when the police showed up she said I was beating her and her boyfriend stopped it.
    Luckly we knew the cops that showed up and they told us to take off.

VIP Member
    Take the kid in and make sure he's safe. Call the cops and stay out of it, unless it boils over to your house. Having LEO in my family, and knowing quite a few over the years. A domestic disturbance is one of the most dangerous calls they can respond to. They never know what they are walking into or who is going to turn on them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

call 911....take care of the boy...

Spin: Are there other kids in the house? What about them?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

NEVER involve yourself in a domestic dispute...you will never be the 'hero'.
    As many have said already, simply assist the kid and call 911.

Now if the female in the dispute came over asking for help, you let her in, and then the other half shows up angry...at the door, now you have a real problem. We'll save that scenario for another time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Bring the kid into the house and dial 911, let the Police handle it.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashfarm View Post
    As we approached the pizza shop there was a guy beating on a woman pretty bad. I told the driver to let me out and go call police. Pre 911 and cell phones.
    I ran over and stopped the man from beating the women, when the police showed up she said I was beating her and her boyfriend stopped it.
    Luckly we knew the cops that showed up and they told us to take off.
    Same thing happened to us... but with a different twist. The guy was big and beating the crap out of her. We called the police... and his brother was standing right behind me (I couldn't have known it was his brother & he was trying to keep people from calling the police) .... he and friend of his jumped us, and the fight was on BIG time. We were at the disadvantage, because they had 2 other friends with them that jumped in when they were losing. 4 against the 2 of us, and no one came to our aid.
    It turned out to be a rather bloody fight..... for them, one guy lost his ear, 3 with lost teeth, one severely broken jaw, one a broken arm, etc. .... and that was their injuries. We were sore, and had some cuts and bruises.

The story the woman gave to the Police, we had tried to attack her and all these guys jumped in to defend her. Problem was, there were about 40 witnesses who all told the Police otherwise. They had been sitting there the whole time, and should have been the one's calling the police... but chose to not get involved.

The Police weren't going to arrest them at all, until they realized we were minors. All of them went to jail. Since we were both 17 yrs old at the time and they were in their 30's, they got additional charges and did time.

One problem, found out one of them was my girlfriend's brother I had never met. She and I were engaged a year later. He at least admitted to her, it was them that were wrong.

Taught me a lesson early, call the Police, and let them handle it... and be sure no one is standing behind you when you are calling them.

911!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Well, the cops told me what everyone here has, take the kid inside and cal 911. But thats not what i did. lol. I was dumb enough to try to go help. I had been friends with the family for years, living next door to them for about 5-6 years and having spent the afternoons over there at least a few days a week for most of those years. So, i felt compelled to help. I knew there were no other young kids, and the only older brother was a good friend and he'd moved out of town.

Long story short, you guys called it. I went over and didn't have to use any force to get the drunk to leave. I even helped him down the stairs so he wouldn't fall, and the mom tells the cops i threw him down the stairs!? The cops didn't care, one of the two had already been to a call at the house recently and could tell i was trying to help. My dad heard the door and when he came to check i was gone so he called 911. Cops showed up and ended up bsing with my dad about guns and miltec products.

the child would be my number one concern, i would take him in and lock the door while on the phone with the police while trying to comfort the child. when i was younger my mother didnt have a very nice husband and i was unfortunatly the witness to a bad altercation. so like i said the childs life is of more concern then my own life
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Never ever ever never put yourself into a domestic violence situation unless you are LEO responding. Situations are unclear, tempers are hot, and passions turn on a whelm. Protect the boy, call 911.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links