NH Home invasion

This is a discussion on NH Home invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Assumption of roommate was it seems prime error. We can never assume, however tempting. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...c-fbc0d534e391 Derry ? Four masked gunmen broke into a Franklin ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NH Home invasion

Assistant Administrator

NH Home invasion

Assumption of roommate was it seems prime error. We can never assume, however tempting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...c-fbc0d534e391
    Derry ? Four masked gunmen broke into a Franklin Street apartment around midnight today, injuring the resident before fleeing the scene empty-handed, Derry Police said.

The resident, Derek Waldron, 22, of 86 Franklin St., told police he heard someone jiggling the handle of the apartment door and assumed it was his roommate. When he opened the door the four individuals, three wearing ski masks and one wearing a bandanna over his face, forced themselves into the apartment, knocking Waldron to the ground, Derry Police Capt. Vernon Thomas said.

One of the gunmen then hit Waldron in the head with the butt of the handgun. When another suspect suggested that Waldron be duct-taped, Waldron scrambled to a neighboring apartment and called police, Thomas said.

The gunmen fled before police arrived. Nothing appeared to be missing, but Waldron pointed out that his safe was moved from its usual storage spot, Thomas said.

Waldron declined treatment for his minor injuries.

The matter remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call Derry Police at 432-6111.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

I always look out a side window to see who is at the door, even when I think I know who it is. The other night my wife was out shopping and got a call from her niece and her husband that they were in the area and would be stopping by. My wife called me to let me know so I was expecting a ring at the door. Even then, before unlocking the front door, I looked out the window and had my hand on my gun before I opened up. Better safe than sorry.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Me too Joe but - I can think of many places where there is no side window - in those cases tho I guess, a spy hole in the door is adviseable.

That brings up actually another point - in a worst case situation, might BG's just be looking for the small tell-tale sign of movement behind a spy hole - before firing thru the door?? I'll bet it could happen and probably has.

On that score, with no side window etc - how best might folks check who is there, without direct exposure to incoming? I guess a small CCTV camera?
    Chris - P95

P95 I saw a small black and white TV surveillance unit with a couple cameras at Menards for about $250 once. Simply standing to one side and asking who it is if nothing else is available to you is better than just opening up. I think most apartments have peep holes but if they don't, get one installed. Same goes with being in a hotel/motel room. I always have the extra lock on and check before opening. I don't want to seem paranoid but I think this is good comment sense caution. Last, if it's your roommate he should have a key, or call your name for help. Don't assume.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    I actually have three small radio TV cameras set up around back yard - all feed to small monitor in my office building. These were from Circuit City but forget price - not too bad IIRC.

Anyone who approaches office from about any direction is, if not seen immediately - heard because motion detector induces a triple bleep at base station - and locks that particular camera for a while.

Back to peep-holes - for those who get one - I would (personally) fit them off center - so as to allow for less than full exposure behind door when using.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    i have a bunch of wireless x10 webcams i guess you would call them routed to my puter and just select the doorcam if someone arrives might not be for every one but i like the versitility , and i can take them mobile to record interviews , surveilance, ect with my laptop .

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    That brings up actually another point - in a worst case situation, might BG's just be looking for the small tell-tale sign of movement behind a spy hole - before firing thru the door?? I'll bet it could happen and probably has.
    I saw an interview with a former hit man and that is one of the techniques he said he used.

SSKC

Administrator
    That story sure could have had a much sadder ending.

Yes you can tell if somebody is looking OUT of a door peep hole.
    Especially, after dusk & if the interior room is brightly lit.
    When the peep hole goes dark...then there is a head and an eyeball right directly on the other side of it.

Wow...next town over...I guess it can happen anywhere. I'll show this to my non-shooting fiancee. Maybe it'll rattle her like it did me.

if you must use a peep hole turn off the lights first.
    the little cameras keep comming down in price. I think having a visable hardened camera may take you off the list of places to try. OR it might attract a rral optamist.
    Always tried tojust have somuch in a layed security system that it is not worth the hassle and "they" will seek softer targets.
    It sounds like you are working towards that too, with thecameras a good outer ring of defence.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Assumption of roommate was it seems prime error. We can never assume, however tempting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...c-fbc0d534e391

Bad area of Town Chris............that Street/Building is about 1/8 of a mile from the PD...Wouldn't be surprised if it were a "deal" gone bad, or similar.....Seems that Derry is becoming more and more active. We're in between the Ma and Salem NH lines.........and Manchester Nh. Two areas that have become crime areas.. Elements come across the State line, do their deeds......and go back to Ma..as well as back to manchester NH..That's why I always carry when I'm out and about.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Bad area of Town Chris............that Street/Building is about 1/8 of a mile from the PD...Wouldn't be surprised if it were a "deal" gone bad, or similar.....Seems that Derry is becoming more and more active. We're in between the Ma and Salem NH lines.........and Manchester Nh. Two areas that have become crime areas.. Elements come across the State line, do their deeds......and go back to Ma..as well as back to manchester NH..That's why I always carry when I'm out and about.
    Not far from where I grew up. I remember when this was a nice quiet area out in the country. Used to travel that road a lot to my cousin's house.:

I've been down in that area more times than I care to count and you don't want to see the insides of some of those houses or apartments. That being said, I think there is going to be a little more to this story then what you saw in the paper. If I have a chance to talk with some of the PD guys while on shift tomorrow, I'll see if I can get more info. I live on the other side of Derry towards Hampstead so I'm in a much better area, but I take nothing for granted.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup
    I've been down in that area more times than I care to count and you don't want to see the insides of some of those houses or apartments. That being said, I think there is going to be a little more to this story then what you saw in the paper. If I have a chance to talk with some of the PD guys while on shift tomorrow, I'll see if I can get more info. I live on the other side of Derry towards Hampstead so I'm in a much better area, but I take nothing for granted.
    Gddy? hey how are you? I know that Capt. Vern would have much more info on that story...I'm sure it's on a "need to know" basis as well........Being a resident of the Town, (near South Range) and knowing enough about what goes on here... WE BOTH know there's way much more than the Newspaper is saying..
    East Derry huh? nice area too
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Gddy? hey how are you? I know that Capt. Vern would have much more info on that story...I'm sure it's on a "need to know" basis as well........Being a resident of the Town, (near South Range) and knowing enough about what goes on here... WE BOTH know there's way much more than the Newspaper is saying..
    East Derry huh? nice area too
    I'm doing well Class. How bout yourself?

It just so happens that I work with the Police Chief's son at the FD so I can probably found out from him if there was anything "fishy" about that scenario. I *think* there might be but it is a somewhat "ner-do-well" part of town so anything could be the truth there...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links