Went to the mall today

This is a discussion on Went to the mall today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paramedic70002 While tactically dangerous, you could consider going down and firing up, to make a clear backstop. I have been thinking about ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Went to the mall today

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    While tactically dangerous, you could consider going down and firing up, to make a clear backstop.

I have been thinking about this for some time and while in just about any industrial building a shot into the ceiling would not be able to penetrate the roof and would thus be a safe backstop. but as pointed out getting to that angle would be quite interesting to to say the least.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Be aware of your backstop, but don't be too aware of your backstop.

Heh. Our mall is posted, but improperly posted so it doesn't count. But I'm not allowed to go there anyways... probably because I'm responsible for getting it posted.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    But I'm not allowed to go there anyways... probably because I'm responsible for getting it posted.
    That would be an interesting story. Have you posted it already? Or would you be willing to?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Unless someone is directly harming you or a loved one, you are under no obligation to shoot back. Take cover and be safe.
    That's my thinking. I'll be in EVAC mode.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

My first priority is to herd my family towards safety. That means orienting them to an exit (even the non-obvious ones like the Employees Only corridors) and sending them on their way.

My second priority is to protect the innocent. So I would do my best to end the fight.

I understand that I am not legally obligated. But I am morally obligated.

Going thru life knowing that innocents died while I had the ability to act and did nothing... That would be Hell enough.

Pick your own path. I've picked mine.

Bill

I can't speak for everyone, but when I'm at a mall (about once every year), I'm outside waiting and the family is inside shopping. This presents a different tactical problem, as E & E is no longer an option. Without dusting off my internet-provided law degree, I'm assuming I'm still in my rights to engage.(?)

An active shooter may clear the mall, but many people will be behind concealment NOT cover. So be very sure of your backstop before firing. You are responsible for every bullet once it's fired and they are too fast to catch and take back.
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links