A friend - robbed at gunpoint - this one is real - Page 3

A friend - robbed at gunpoint - this one is real

This is a discussion on A friend - robbed at gunpoint - this one is real within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hunabku, was it possible to say that you don't carry a wallet? i've been reading all of these replies and and this is the situation ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hunabku, was it possible to say that you don't carry a wallet? i've been reading all of these replies and and this is the situation that no one likes. the BG knew what he was doing by keeping his distance, but, could you have lured him in by saying, "I don't have my wallet on me?" I'm glad you and your friend are ok, but I just think about the next person he's going to rob, myabe a female? It's easy for me to say this becuz I wasn't there, but I would've gotten him closer and then it's a 2 on 1 situation!!!
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

He had a huge force multiplier though... Although I was thinking I wouldn't turn around, and didn't the one time I faced a knife armed attacker. I will not be executed (think about those women in the store near Chicago I think in the last year.)

I'm seeing this as the BG not wanting the two men to be able to ID him, hence having them turn around. Other than trying to be more aware of who may be creeping up behind you, I don't see that these guys could/should have done anything different under the circumstances. Obviously they made the right decision, because they're here to tell the story.
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

I understand what you are saying banana, its my own choice but I am of the opinion that you are already at risk with the number of people who are very violent and more likely to leave no one behind. Maybe it comes from watching too much news, maybe it comes from serving in the middle east and Balkans where you were under a greater than normal chance that being captured means death. Either way, my view is that personally I will resist passivly (not understanding, moving slowly) until I can react actively (making a lunge, drawing, biting) and fight.

My philosophy is someone comes into my home, comes after me with a weapon, they have already decided to kill me. I've alreay decided to fight back to defend myself and end or get away from the confrontation. I will not be a victim. Not for everyone, not for most perhaps, just my thoughts on it sir. For me.

Glad that the guys got out of it unharmed. Boy I'd hate to have to go to DMV for another driver's licence though. That's insult to injury.

I like the idea of a throw down wallet...Thanks. Could even dummy up a fake driver's Liscense in Photoshop. Don't use expired credit cards. Seen in another thread: Toss the wallet on the ground to BG's left side (or weak side) leaving yourself a couple of secs for next move...such as run like crazy or if you dare, draw?

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    I understand what you are saying banana, its my own choice but I am of the opinion that you are already at risk with the number of people who are very violent and more likely to leave no one behind. Maybe it comes from watching too much news, maybe it comes from serving in the middle east and Balkans where you were under a greater than normal chance that being captured means death. Either way, my view is that personally I will resist passivly (not understanding, moving slowly) until I can react actively (making a lunge, drawing, biting) and fight.

My philosophy is someone comes into my home, comes after me with a weapon, they have already decided to kill me. I've alreay decided to fight back to defend myself and end or get away from the confrontation. I will not be a victim. Not for everyone, not for most perhaps, just my thoughts on it sir. For me.

Glad that the guys got out of it unharmed. Boy I'd hate to have to go to DMV for another driver's licence though. That's insult to injury.

I respect your opinion, and the info in your response. No two scenerios will play out the same way; running or fighting back could possibly have saved their lives under similar circumstances.
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

I like the throwdown wallet idea as well. I also agree Banana that no two instances will look the same. I agree completly sir.

Senior Moderator
    Don't forget guys, in this situation, one person's action affects the other person as well. If one bolted for example, what about the buddy that didn't? What if one bolts only to trip?

I've been in a FOF scenario where I surprised the BG from about 15 feet. I had my gun on him and he bolted and was gone before I could pull the trigger. But that tactic is quite situational dependent. He was out of sight in about two steps, and I realized not only how fast one can bolt, but how difficult it is to track a moving target quickly enough to fire.

Good thoughts though and things we can keep in the toolbox and apply if we find ourselves in a similar situation.

I'm kinda speaking for Hunabku here, but he's a different person now than he was then. He's now ever aware of his surroundings, and always uses evade (or avoid) and escape to prevent a situation from developing. He's an excellent shot now too.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Throw down wallet. Nice. I carry front pocket wallet, so a throw away would be nice in the back.

Your friends should have changed direction to determine if they were a target.

Seeing someone walking towards you from a far enough distance allows you to cross over to the other side of the parking lot, street, etc.

This way the BG has to actually change his course also. With this information, you are not ready to place your hand on your gun, turn around, run away, etc.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links