A friend - robbed at gunpoint - this one is real

This is a discussion on A friend - robbed at gunpoint - this one is real within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend, Bob - we'll say, and a friend, Tom we'll say, were walking one night at an apartment complex and saw a man walking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A friend - robbed at gunpoint - this one is real

Senior Moderator

A friend - robbed at gunpoint - this one is real

My friend, Bob - we'll say, and a friend, Tom we'll say, were walking one night at an apartment complex and saw a man walking toward them. When they got within about 10 feet, the man pulled a gun and told them to raise their hands, which they did. For the record, neither Bob or Tom had a gun. The perp had caught them between streetlights so lighting was minimized.

He maintained the distance, and told them to turn around, which they did. He then instructed them how to get and drop their billfolds on the ground, which they did.

He then instructed them to walk down a flight of stairs, which again, they did. They never saw him again.

Thoughts?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

I think they were very lucky they weren't shot as they were walking downstairs.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Would be a good time to be carrying a "dummy" wallet, filled with a few one dollar bills and some of those phony credit cards you get in those "you've been pre-approved" letters. By the time he realized he'd been had, they would be long gone. If I spent much time in a city or big town, I would definitely carry two wallets, one real, one phony.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    This is a very likely situation and my first thought was .. "how would I handle it?"

Other than total avoidance of the area, your friends Bob and Tom did all they could do. Even IF they had a firearm there was probably nothing they could do since the thug already had a gun pointed at them. You cant win a quick draw contest when your looking at a gun barrel. This would be a tough situation to be in. I'd like to hear what others have to say about this.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randomorbit View Post
    Would be a good time to be carrying a "dummy" wallet, filled with a few one dollar bills and some of those phony credit cards you get in those "you've been pre-approved" letters. By the time he realized he'd been had, they would be long gone. If I spent much time in a city or big town, I would definitely carry two wallets, one real, one phony.
    I did this as a LEO. I figure if someone robbed me and looked in my wallet........I was a dead man. I still carry the dummy wallet or some throw down money is a money clip. Someone was watching over your buddies.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Great example of how being armed isn't any kind of magic solution to every situation.

I think they did exactly what I would have and I don't think being armed would have helped in that situation.

If they had id'd the threat as such earlier on, they could have separated as they approached the other guy and probably reduced the likelihood that he'd have targeted them if he couldn't cover them both at once.....but that's hindsight.

I'm glad they're ok......it could have been real ugly.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Well Bob & Tom it is time to wake up and start packing. I will go against the grain here and say there was something that could have been done had they been armed. 1st rule is SA. I think if they had more of that they could have reacted better. My .02 ( Glad they are ok as they did get lucky).
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I carry two wallets.

One has my creds, the other my Driver's License, Credit Cards, Money and etc. I don't want to carry a "throw down" wallet.

Situations like this is why I like a BUG in my pocket. I often walk with my hand in my pocket. It allows me to have my hand on my gun without anybody being the wiser.

In this situation I would have to remove my hand from my pocket to get to my wallet. Thus, the felonious individual is expecting me to take my hand out of my pocket, and I would do so upon his instructions. What he is most likely not expecting is a J-Frame "snubbie" to be in my hand when I remove it from my pocket. If it was cold enough, and I was wearing a coat, I wouldn't even remove my hand from my coat as I carry a gun in my coat pocket during the winter, and not the pants pocket.

Drawing against a drawn gun is possible, just not advisable.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    Well Bob & Tom it is time to wake up and start packing. I will go against the grain here and say there was something that could have been done had they been armed. 1st rule is SA. I think if they had more of that they could have reacted better. My .02 ( Glad they are ok as they did get lucky).
    All respect due, Glock30SF, but it is awfully easy to preach about awareness when you're typing at the computer. My feeling is that both Bob and Tom are headed home without extra holes in their bodies and can only conclude that they had no choice. If the guy has the drop, there is no shame in barfing up one's own wallet in exchange for one's own hide. I question whether the 'something they could have done' would be more than go for a weapon and end up dead, even carrying a BUG.

Smart brains stay in the skull. Other types are scraped up off the sidewalk. I say they did OK to simply survive unscathed.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Smart brains stay in the skull. Other types are scraped up off the sidewalk. I say they did OK to simply survive unscathed.
    I agree.

I'm not saying I would've responed with a weapon, but I'm not saying I wouldn't have either. No way to tell until it happens. Having had a gun pointed at me, and not knowing if the person was going to pull the trigger can be a real pant's wetting expirience.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    All respect due, Glock30SF, but it is awfully easy to preach about awareness when you're typing at the computer. My feeling is that both Bob and Tom are headed home without extra holes in their bodies and can only conclude that they had no choice. If the guy has the drop, there is no shame in barfing up one's own wallet in exchange for one's own hide. I question whether the 'something they could have done' would be more than go for a weapon and end up dead, even carrying a BUG.

I think Glock30SF and Scot Van both have it right. First let me say if the scenario were presented with the entry point being "your are in a dimly lit street and a man has a weapon drawn on you..." and then ask for advice then the lion share of the posts here are correct; cough up the wallet and skate with your life. However, as presented I would caution these two to get a awarnes to the types of places that are more likely to make you a victim.

- don't go walking down a dim street
    - use SA to keep your guard up as threat matrix closes.
    - stay armed
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I'm in a similar situation as BikerRN.

Either give up the wallet and live or die at the bad guy's whim, or give him something else to stop his actions. Just obeying to my own demise is not my plan.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I agree.

I'm not saying I would've responed with a weapon, but I'm not saying I wouldn't have either. No way to tell until it happens. Having had a gun pointed at me, and not knowing if the person was going to pull the trigger can be a real pant's wetting expirience.
    This is one of those 'had to be there moments'...I'd say the same for being aware of the situation.

Remember? Have a plan to kill everyone you meet? I would have changed directions...I many times do when someone is approaching on the same side of the street.

My head is on a swivel in parking lots and I DO NOT let others coming close to me get very close. Changing directions lets you know right away about 'bad intentions'.
    That said, we all can make mistakes...some are just more costly than others.

If your friends had been shot after giving full compliance...then what?
    Is it just the Ben Brothers? Shoulda' Been, Coulda' Been, Woulda' Been? Not for me...if I'm going to die anyways, someone is going with me...we'll discuss it further at the Pearly Gates.
    Too many of today's dirtbags will shoot you anyway.

Stay armed...stay alert and have a plan...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is one of those 'had to be there moments'...I'd say the same for being aware of the situation.

Remember? Have a plan to kill everyone you meet? I would have changed directions...I many times do when someone is approaching on the same side of the street.

My head is on a swivel in parking lots and I DO NOT let others coming close to me get very close. Changing directions lets you know right away about 'bad intentions.That said, we all can make mistakes...some are just more costly than others.

If your friends had been shot after giving full compliance...then what?
    Is it just the Ben Brothers? Shoulda' Been, Coulda' Been, Woulda' Been? Not for me...if I'm going to die anyways, someone is going with me...we'll discuss it further at the Pearly Gates.
    Too many of today's dirtbags will shoot you anyway.

Stay armed...stay alert and have a plan...stay safe!
    Put it better then I did. But it further illustrates my point.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Most of my learning of these types of situations have come from this site. However, I know it's hard to tell what one would do in any given situation. Me thinks if they were both armed the BG would be unlikely to shoot them both simultaneously. Once they start hearing gunfire, one or both turn and start defending. Hard to say what the outcome would be. Chances are it would be better than if they weren't armed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links