Garage Invasion ? Maybe not ???

This is a discussion on Garage Invasion ? Maybe not ??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most people that live in suburban neighborhoods have attached garages. If you heard noise comming from your garage, what would you do ? It could ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage Invasion ? Maybe not ???

Most people that live in suburban neighborhoods have attached garages. If you heard noise comming from your garage, what would you do ? It could be human or animal

Would you go in and investigate ?

Would you yell through the door ?

Would you call the poilce and have them check to see if it's anything to be worried about ?

Would you just ignore it and check it in the morning ?

or any other inputs you may have.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

My house abuts a mountain in a fairly remote part of town. On occasion, my garage door is open. If I heard rustling, my first inclination would be that it's a coyote or other animal. If for any reason I suspected otherwise, I'd probably grab the .45 and yell through the door with a stern warning. If it persisted, then a call to police would probably be in order (with the .45 still at the low-ready).

I would as quietly as possible open the door to the house and the lights off investigate. Gun in hand of course. Mag-lite in pocket.
    Draw once, Fire twice!

I'd call the cops and let them handle it.

Nothing stored in my garage is more valuable to me than my life.
    And if it does turn out to be an animal of some sort then I'd have still called the cops or animal control to come take care of it as rabies is a constant item in my zone.

Bottom line call the cops...and they will not begrudge me for doing so either.
    Nor will my life insurance company, nor my doctor, wife, kids, parents, sister or friends for not having to visit me at a hospital or funeral home.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I don't really worry too much about the garage. My Rhodesian Ridgeback has learned to open the door from the house out into the garage.
    When we go away, we make sure that door is not locked (house/garage) and when he hears our car...he's waiting when the garage door goes up.
    Don't be in the garage if you're not an invited guest...human or animal.
    Other than the garage door itself and one window, there is no other entrance into the garage. If there is a noise in the garage, it's no different than a noise in any other room in the house...the Rhody and I will investigate and he goes in first.

Stay armed...entering my garage could create a permanent parking space for ya'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Are you saying this is happening at night, since you ask if we would check it in the morning?

Depending on the time of the year, the door is kept shut. If it is kept shut and I hear some noises out there, I can look through the window from the kitchen and see what is happening. If someone is out there, well they shouldn't be.

If the door is open and I hear something out there, well same response.

I will possibly call the police depending on what is out there. I will not be yelling through the door. I quite possibly will be out in the garage if someone or something is there there that isn't supposed to be.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I would call 911. My house has an alarm, so trying to get in would set it off. But if someone was messing in the garage (after checking where my family was), I'd be in the house with my G23 in one hand, phone in the other, guiding the cops to my place, and protecting my family.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Best place to be in a gunfight is somewhere else. I would sit still and listen from inside the house (armed heavily of course) if noise is confirmed and family is accounted for a call to 911 and retreat to the bedroom is in order. Let the police do their job...if they continue their advance they had better work for the circus and know how to catch bullets of assorted calibers.
    Condition 1
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My garage has motion sensors that activate a video camera on the wall, all images are saved on my PC. I have a PC in our bedroom (1 of 4) running 24/7 and can view the garage, yard and dog kennel from my bedroom. If there is activity, I can make a plan or call 911.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    My garage has motion sensors that activate a video camera on the wall, all images are saved on my PC. I have a PC in our bedroom (1 of 4) running 24/7 and can view the garage, yard and dog kennel from my bedroom. If there is activity, I can make a plan or call 911.

>>---->
    Thankfully the idiots who broke into my house left the computer alone, along with the evidence of their identities. This lesson taught me to secure the recorder in a ventilated strong box. They caught those boneheads thanks to the cameras. In reference to this scenario...having cameras to monitor the situation from a relatively "safe" location would always be ideal and in my opinion worth the investment.
    Condition 1
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

VIP Member
    I have two inexpensive security cameras in the garage. With the flick of a switch I can see AND hear what is going on in there on my TV.

The real everyday utility of this is that sometimes we are waiting for company, and the cameras give such a good view of the driveway too we know when to go out to greet people.

I think our security cameras cost all of 99 bucks for two at SAM's a few years back.

The camera' lens has a series of red LEDs around the perimeter. It is easy for anyone to see at night that there are cameras in there--for whatever deterrent effect that might have; like they won't know what other security is in place.

DOGS.

My garage door is down unless I'm in it. If someone gets in the garage, there are enough tools to break in the house. If they get in the house, the cops can follow the dogs around for a day with plastic bags to get their DNA sample.

I got a 180 degree prrphole in my Kitchen door going into the garage so I can look and see what's up before putting myself in harms way.In Texas unlike some states if they are in my garage they can be shot,so theres nothing in the law that says I have to try to take them prisoner etc.but a call to 911 is a good idea to either pick them up one way or another
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Detached garage with 24/7 surveillance camera.

If I thought something was unusual...

I have an extra garage door transmitter clipped next to my kitchen window. I would open the 16' garage door while looking out the window M&P & in hand. If no one came running out the man or main door I would cautiously investigate. OTOH If I knew someone was inside i would call 911 for sure.

VIP Member
    I'd call 911, arm myself and wait for LEO to arrive and check out the garage.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links