Do you want to rely on this 911 operator, with your life ? - Page 2

Do you want to rely on this 911 operator, with your life ?

This is a discussion on Do you want to rely on this 911 operator, with your life ? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the 911 guy was ok. More questions = more info he can pass to first responders. What kind of gun question seems ok ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you want to rely on this 911 operator, with your life ?

VIP Member
    I think the 911 guy was ok. More questions = more info he can pass to first responders. What kind of gun question seems ok to me as well. The police will know that the old guy with a revolver is a good guy and not the perp.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I deal with 911 dispatchers regularly. I don't feel that he did anything wrong.. He got the address told the victim that help was on the way. And gathered more info. I don't think that he seems any more or less concerned then any other good dispatcher.. The county is paying him to take as much info as he can be calm in any situation. Having to much emotion can change the way the victim on the phone responds.. I don't enough credit has been given to this dispatcher. In any situation things can be better he could had done some things different. but the police would not have gotten there any faster no matter what.

Sorrry guys.. I don't disagree with the majority often :)
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

Sounded to me like he was trying to keep her on the line, so he could keep the inbound police updated on the situation. Would have helped if he had been a little bit more reassuring -- to that poor woman it must have felt like calling the DMV.

cj
    Sounds like he did ok. I'm betting, in line with typing to get the police on the way, that he also typed something along the lines of "Be aware that homeowner is armed with a revolver" so that an individual on the crime scene carrying a gun might stand a better chance as the police roll up...and that perhaps the guy rolling around on the ground with some other weapon is more likely to be the problem.

me
    In most parts of the country there are more than 1 dispatcher on duty in the center at any given time. His job was to be the "Call Taker" he was not dispatching the police but he was gathering all of the info and as he typed it the info went over to the "Radio Dispatcher" who would relay that info to the police.

His questions all seemed pertinent to me, as a FF/EMT I have found that many houses you can not easily tell the front from the back upon arrival, so asking about the back makes a difference. Also as stated earlier asking about the gun is getting info to give the responding units so that LEROY is not shot by the PD.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

GJ LeRoy.
    Mykel

more later...

Nice to hear that the good guys can win one every now and then...

Just hope that Leroy wasn't then charged with unlawful firing of a weapon inside the city limits!
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    Nice to hear that the good guys can win one every now and then...Just hope that Leroy wasn't then charged with unlawful firing of a weapon inside the city limits!
    How about "Disturbing the peace"? That seems to be a handy catch-all charge when nothing else is convenient.

I think the operator missed an opportunity to find out what type of ammo he had in the 38. What the heck does the type of gun have to do with anything in that situation?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links