Carry Enough Gun - Page 2

Carry Enough Gun

This is a discussion on Carry Enough Gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by David in FL Glad your friend is safe. Sounds to me like he had enough gun...... I was going to make this ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry Enough Gun

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Glad your friend is safe.

Sounds to me like he had enough gun......
    I was going to make this same point. If you have a .380, you wish you had a 9mm. If you have a 9mm, you'll wish you had a .45 and so on.

With all that said, this time of year, I always carry at least a mid sized pistol.
    "Just blame Sixto"

"Any powder that kills flea, is good powder!" Charlie Chan in THE WAX MUSEUM.
    bosco

Well, it appears he did have " enough gun " at the time. Robbery attempt was thwarted, 4 BG's turned tail and left at the presentation of his gun. He did not need to fire a shot. I'd also bet, if he did have to shoot, those not hit, would have been running awayASAP.
    I feel confident with my P3 AT in my pocket, when circumstances don't allow me carry something else.

If I knew FOR SURE I'd need a gun in the next 5 minutes, I'd have my AR with 30 rds in my hands at low ready, my 870 slung across my shoulder and my G23 in a thigh holster.......... with a 33 rd mag.
    Last edited by sass20485; December 2nd, 2008 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

I was going to make this same point. If you have a .380, you wish you had a 9mm. If you have a 9mm, you'll wish you had a .45 and so on.

LOL. Isn't that the truth!?! If I knew I was gonna need it, I'd have the biggest, baddest, high capacity shootin' iron out there tucked away instead of my little single stack K-9.

In reality for most people it comes down to the balance between comfort and convenience and ensuring that they at least carry something.

First rule in a gunfight........

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    ... total of 12 357 crushers. Would that be enough? Now I carry 2 speed loaders. And a .357 BUG and if I can manage it, an additional speed loader for it. 28 rounds of .357 ought to be plenty, if not, I'm screwed...

Well, a short-barreled .357 will be like a "flash bang" going off. I bet you'd scare off (or temporarily deafen) most BG's with one shot.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Can't the guys gun still have the ability to kill/stop a threat. Its not like getting shot with a pellet gun.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Here's my question.
    Why didn't he shoot?

He was afraid enough to draw.

AFS
    My guess is by the time he had the gun up the BGs were already backing off.

Personally I'd rather not shoot someone, but I certainly will if it comes to it. I were to draw in this situation I would probably wait about 1/4 second to see if they were going to run or continue their advance. Of course, I would only wait if I thought I actually had that time before I was disarmed or killed...

I think this situation worked out perfectly
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Here's my question.
    Why didn't he shoot?

He was afraid enough to draw.

AFS
    We may not like it but some District Attorney would have said that showing the gun was enough for them to leave and was not justified to shoot.

I'm enjoying the colder weather since I can conceal my Glock 23 (40 S&W). In the summer, I usually carry my P-3AT. My G23 is harder to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post

I can at least use the big GP100 as a club when I run out of ammo. You P3 guys can't do that can you?
    Yes, but I think a full size 1911 makes even a better club.

I carry 8+1 and two 8 rd magazines to back it up

and as the saying goes they may kill me with my own gun but they will have to beat me to death with it as it will be empty (or something close)

Quote Originally Posted by rock.45 View Post
    Rule # 24 carry something that starts with a .4
    I would put that a lot higher up on the list then 24, but then that is only my opinion.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Glad He is ok

Stay safe

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    There are times at work that the largest gun I can carry is my Bersa .380 hidden deep. Ideal? No, but certainly better than nothing, as the original post proves.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    He had a Gun. He needed it. Presentation stopped the confrontation. He goes home without firing a shot. Sounds like a win win situation. Hope he thanked his Guardian Angel. I have never been their and hope I never will be but, I carry Two Snubs at all times. 357 main Gun and 38+P weak side. If looking down the barrel of that Seven Shooter doesn't do it I would be surprised.

I always carry a small weapon.........my favorite 1911 only has a 3.5" barrel....
    Evil triumphs when good men do nothing! Edmond Burke
    Where the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Where the government fears the people, there is liberty! Benjamin Franklin

THIS IS THE PRIMARY REASON WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT!!!

In this case it didn't matter if he had .380 or a .45. The BG's had a change of heart as soon as they seen the gun...and nobody got hurt... What more could you ask for?
    Whats that old saying... ".380 in hand is better than a .45 at home"

VIP Member
    I agree with those who said "good that he had a gun". I always carry a second magazine with my 1911, not for round count as much as for malfunction. Though I do prefer and carry the .45, I would not have felt under-guned with the P-3AT and a spare magazine but I would have felt the need to be very good with my shot placement, especially in this colder weather if the BGs were wearing jackets or coats.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links