Carry Enough Gun

This is a discussion on Carry Enough Gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; He had enough gun (this time). Confronted with 4 BG's, if they'd had the mindset to engage, 7 rounds leaves him at the most with ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry Enough Gun

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    He had enough gun (this time). Confronted with 4 BG's, if they'd had the mindset to engage, 7 rounds leaves him at the most with 2 hits for three, one hit for the last. This with a diminutive caliber.

Yep, I've on occasion left everything but my P3AT at home. Sometimes (usually) I at least carry a spare mag. Then again, sometimes I've no more than a pocket knife (rare unless prohibited by law, which I HATE). These days, my PM9 is quite likely to replace the P3AT most times. And I carry two spares for it. But usually, if at all able (even warm weather, if I remember what that feels like ) I carry a 1911.

I hope I'm never in his situation. As luck would have it, this time the mouse got the job done, without roaring. Sounds like he handled it very well, and still managed to learn a lesson to be shared. Well done!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I should have mentioned that he was in a similar situation before. He was carrying a Glock 17 and didn't feel undergunned.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I've gone from 31 rounds of .357 Sig to 5 rounds of .38 Spl +P. I think about this issue at least once every week. Came down to this reasoning. Could I really take on more then one attacker.

The Glock + mag became a chore. The S&W 642 Airweight is easy to manage as a CC.

But I must admit again, I think about this issue at least once every week.

Details: I went from a standard Glock 31 (.357 Sig) (15 mag + 1 in chamber + 15 spare mag) to the S&W 642 Airweight (no-lock) J-Frame with Uncle Mike's pocket holster loaded with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP front pocket every day (5 rounds).

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    The main point was he had a gun with him (Rule #1 for a gun fight) and kept him from getting robbed.

I like options so I carry two when I can.
    Exactly..

If he did not have a gun who knows what might of happened but even thought he felt under powered he was not. It did it's job

I sure would not want to be shot by a 380.

I'm with BikerRN. I carry the biggest I can get away with.
    I frequently do a "fashion show" for the wife before going out to make sure I am not printing. Sometimes I change the clothes, sometimes I have to change the gun.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    I usually carry a full size 1911 or a Glock 23........Recently I purchased a S&W642.....My intention was to see if I could 'lighten up' my carry load......

After shooting for many years with longer barrel lengths, the mouse gun made me feel a little under gunned. The feeling came from the lesser accuracy I got with the snubby.......I know, conventional wisdom is that most shooting will occur at close range. However, after thinking about some of the situations that could occur, I like the comfort of being able to hit targets accurately at further distances.

As a possible example......I practice shooting BG targets that are partially hidden (like behind a hostage)......With the sights & sight radius of the snubby, I can't make those shots at 25 yards....BUT give me my 1911 & the BG is toast!

I like having & carrying a tool that can go 'offensive' as well as 'defensive'.............

Does that mean I won't carry a mouse gun? No...I'll still utilize them as backups or when I'm at home in shorts or sweats.....That way it can utilized to get to a rifle or more 'offensive' firearm.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I read this as a success story. The gun did exactly what it was supposed to do. Sometimes you just can't carry a lot of gun. The point of this story as I read it, wasn't that the keltec wasn't enough gun. I read the story as someone was armed when they needed to be, and their safety was secured by having a gun on them when they needed it. I would love to have a shotgun with me everywhere I go. However, there comes a point when you have to draw the line and say "enough is enough". If a 5 or 6 shot revolver isn't enough, then get a bottom feeder. If a bottom feeder isn't enough, then carry an extra-mag. If that's not enough, then carry 2 mags, if that's not enough, then maybe some people just need to stay home. I agree a Keltec may not always be enough, however in this case it was! In a situation like this, or any confrontational situation, with 4 guys in your face, is a person really going to be able to fire off 8 rounds, reload, fire some more, drop that gun, get their backup, fire some more, then reload again? In a situation like this, you get one chance, the minute you fire the first round, one of 2 things are gonna happen. Option 1, the bad guys scatter, Option 2, the bad guys attack you, in which case you would be firing in a wrestling match with bullets flying everywhere. Either way, a back-up gun, or an extra mag aren't gonna be much help. The key is to not get in the situation to begin with. When it's 1 on 4 in an in your face robbery situation, no matter how big the bullet, or how many shots you have, if they stay and fight after the first shot, it's gonna be a tough to win fight for you at best.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I sometimes run down to the store with just my P-3AT, but I do feel better with my Kimber Ultra.

The dirtbags are everywhere...at least the thugs who approached your friend recognized that the .380 was not something they wanted to hang around to discuss.

I guess I'd always want more...mags, friends, better vision, faster speed, more endurance...but my Kimber and I can stand our ground if the need arises.

Did your friend call and report it to the police?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

None too small to carry; none too large in a gunfight.

To need and not have WORTHLESS To have and not need PRICELESS
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I carry enough. . . and this is a situation I would be prepared for.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

No more force than necessary, and enough to stop from being a victim.

I'm amazed how many are carrying under 10 shots.... I am hesitant at times to carry only with 10 shot mags... although I do have a 617 (7 shot .357 I carry at times). ... but with 2 speed loaders handy.

cj
    Reminds me of a section of the book Snow Crash (the character had been issued a sort of stun gun by his company):

"Since then [he] has kept the gun in the glove compartment and relied, instead, on a matched set of samurai swords, which have always been his weapon of choice anyhow. The punks in Gila Highlands weren't afraid of the gun, so [he] was forced to use it. But swords need no demonstration."

Glad your friend's firearm needed no demonstration.

Regarding the question of "He was afraid enough to draw, why didn't he shoot?" Look through the statistics (and estimated statistics) regarding prevention of victimization through use of a firearm: the majority of cases are estimated to be resolved without firing a shot, merely presenting the firearm (estimated due to a lack of reporting of many of these incidents). By presenting it and letting them back off, he was fine. Once he started firing, he's escalated to a life or death situation for them, and will they close and confront or run away (perhaps depending on the surroundings...such as 'is cover within a few steps?').

Sounds like he did well, and I'm glad he was able to walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    By the way did your friend report the attempted robbery
    THAT'S important. Whoever calls in first gets to be the victem. Its dumb, but that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    ...but I would have felt the need to be very good with my shot placement, especially in this colder weather if the BGs were wearing jackets or coats.
    Very good point. I carry my FS 45 in the winter instead of my compact 9 since it is easier for me to conceal. However, never really gave much thought to the extra clothing situation. Man I love the knowledge of the people on this site

The lightest I ever carry is a Sig 226 in 9mm.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links