Carry Enough Gun

Carry Enough Gun

This is a discussion on Carry Enough Gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine was approached this evening in a parking lot by four individuals that tried to rob him. They demanded money and he ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

Carry Enough Gun

A friend of mine was approached this evening in a parking lot by four individuals that tried to rob him. They demanded money and he told them to buzz off. Then one of them advanced on him and he pulled his P3AT out and again told them to buzz off. They did.

He told me that he really wished he had his XD9 or his 1911 with a second mag tonight. He told me that he realized that he needs to "carry enough gun."

Maybe a P3AT without a second mag is "enough gun" for you. But I just wanted to remind everybody to not get into a situation and then wish you had something different, especially when you could have easily had something different.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I try to carry the largest weapon that I can effectively conceal.

The main reasons are, I shoot them better than their smaller breatheren, they are more effective at stopping an aggressor, usually have a higher ammunition capacity and lastly are easier to manipulate and reload if I need to do that.

In a gunfight nobody ever complained of having too much ammo. The two times I used a handgun in a defensive encounter I was wishing I had a longarm. The time I had a longarm I was wishing I had a squad, or some grenades. They haven't started issuing grenades to LEO's yet, at least not the kind the military uses.

Biker

Something is better than nothing. Carry the biggest gun you can shoot accurately. If it's an auto, ALWAYS carry an extra mag as that is the NUMBER ONE thing to malfunction.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Carry Enough Gun

Agreed.

I would not think that a P3AT is a primary carry gun. A BUG yes but if I was carrying one, and I had to pull it out, I had better have run my G23 dry, along with the spare magazine and I hope to God I have several bad guy bodies laying around.

I can imagine the feeling your friend had. 4 guys trying to rob him and he's got a P3AT that until a minute ago, he felt pretty confident about carrying. Disparity of force has a way of completely changing the way you feel about your carry gun.

Carry enough gun. Good words to live, and stay alive, by.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I usually carry a compact 1911 7+1 and an xtra 7 round mag,If that ain't enough I probably won't be posting on here anymore and you guys will be posting about that guy that went down with a pile of brass around him.By the way did your friend report the attempted robbery
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I can relate.

While I've never had to draw, flight or fight analysis ALLOWED me to leave the situation. But I looked back on it thinking, what if I did have to shoot? One speed loader gives me a total of 12 357 crushers. Would that be enough? Now I carry 2 speed loaders. And a .357 BUG and if I can manage it, an additional speed loader for it. 28 rounds of .357 ought to be plenty, if not, I'm screwed...

I can at least use the big GP100 as a club when I run out of ammo. You P3 guys can't do that can you?

Distinguished Member
    The whole point is that his mouse gun did EXACTLY what it was supposed to do. I don't really care if he had an AR-15, he would have still felt "under gunned". The only way not to feel that way would maybe be if you had 5 friend close by and they all came out of the woodwork, armed and ready to go.

Lets see as Ret99 would say---stay armed, clean your shorts, stay safe.

Yes, carrying something with more energy and capacity is better, but at least he had something.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Add one more to the list of CC being used and not a shot fired.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

The main point was he had a gun with him (Rule #1 for a gun fight) and kept him from getting robbed.

I like options so I carry two when I can.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

There are times when my only option is to carry my Kahr PM-40. I always feel a bit undergunned with that and nothing else, but in close quarters with a spare mag I'm good for 15 rounds of .40 SW.

I don't feel undergunned due to capacity, but more for shot placement. I certainly don't shoot quite as well with the Kahr as with my 1911. Wonder how shot placement would be in a SHTF situation with adrenaline pumping?

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Here's my question.
    Why didn't he shoot?

He was afraid enough to draw.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    I can at least use the big GP100 as a club when I run out of ammo. You P3 guys can't do that can you?

OK, this may be the best reason yet for me to get a bigger gun.

Ted

in this case its clear he did have enough gun. will it be enough gun next time around?

Glad your friend is safe.

Sounds to me like he had enough gun......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Rule # 24 carry something that starts with a .4

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links