The "master switch"

The "master switch"

This is a discussion on The "master switch" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure if I put this in the right section or not, feel free to move it if you want. I've been thinking about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The "master switch"

I'm not sure if I put this in the right section or not, feel free to move it if you want.

I've been thinking about when I get my own house this summer. What do you all think about having a "master switch" in the bedroom that turns all the lights on in the house? If someone broke in it would probably scare them away, and it would save having to rely on a weaponlight/handheld completely.

"There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Sounds like a decent idea, but I am unsure about the wiring that it would take to accomplish. I bet there is an electrician or two around that can tell us if it is possible without a complete "smart home".

Lead Moderator
    lots more wiring atleast. Also If you have a bright light and the BG does not , you get the advantage. Lights is a even playing field.

Electrical would be a nightmare in an existing structure, if it's new construction and you do so prior to hanging the drywall, it shouldn't be to bad of a job. If it is an existing home, you might look into X10 light switches in each room, with a control panel in the bedroom. It'd be way easier (and cheaper) than reworking the entire house!

Not sure that I disagree with Rocky or not, a housefull of light may very well drive the guy away, but it's no longer a tactical advantage, since you and the BG have the same light... Hmmmm.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    For $100, you can get the home security system at Radio Shack that has two door/window sensors and a motion sensor. With it comes a keyfob that turns the alarm on/off, and also has the option of turning all or selected lights on when you buy light modules. You can get additonal motion detectors, door/window sensors, and keyfobs. It's wireless and with the keyfob, you can activate the lights when you come home, before you go inside.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Also check out X-10, I think they're still in business. They make all kinds of modules for controlling lights and other things.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The wiring would be a nightmare and getting it to pass code would be a problem with all the extra wire you would need to run..

You would have to worry about all the draw since you couldnt have them on one circuit it would be to much and cost a mint

So you put a radio controlled servo switch on the master electrical panel. Probably pretty cheap and no long wires.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Assistant Administrator
    All is possible but - whether practical is another matter. Indeed in an existing house - no, I think too much complexity.

Not so sure Bud re circuit loading - let us guess at (easy figures) - 20 x 100W luminaires - which is 2kW - and so not much over a 15A breaker - scale that down a bit and a 15A would cut it.

I do think tho it would be possible to have selected light units (table lamps, tall lamps - etc) - all fed by discrete radio controlled sw's in receptacles - one master Tx could trigger that lot in one hit.

All that aside - there is the advantage to BG as well as us! Interesting thought tho.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Do check out x10, they make all kinds of remote items. I am planing to get the universal remote, and use there replacement plugs, and switches. I will be able to turn lights on the ground floor, basement, and out side. Keeping me in the shadows, and the BG in the light.

You can even integrate the x10 switches, and plugs with your PC. So you can turn on, and off lights automatically when you are not at home, or even remotely over the web.

Radio Shack re brands x10 products.

http://www.x10.com/home2.html
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Betty and Glock21 are on top of this remote moduals to keep your area dark and selected areas light-
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Senior Moderator
    I've used the X10s for security purposes. You can replace standard switches with the x10's and plug-in's for wall sockets and control just about anything in the house.

You can do the X10 system yourself and not change wiring. You may have to get an electrician to install the switches if you don't feel comfortable doing that.

Using the X10, Home Depot also makes great add-on gadgets that allow you to turn lights on when a motion sensor gets tripped. In my old place, I had a driveway and porch light that would be triggered by someone driving up the driveway, or walking up the walkway. When this light got triggered, it would also trigger a small interior lamp in each room of the house, so I could tell if someone was walking or driving up. It worked great when I was asleep; as the light would wake me up, and the sudden light would discourage "evil doers".
    יזכר לא עד פעם
    Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am.
    Remember. Never Again.

Senior Moderator
    I experienced some X10 failures when I was using them - I don't mean failure to operate, but they seemed to "die" sometimes and required replacement.

Anyone else notice any durability/dependability/reliability issues with the X10s?

The X10 systems sounds good...just remember:

"If it's electrical or mechanical, it's not a matter if it's going to fail, just when."

Keep a bright light next to your bed and practice the carry and use of it in the dark. Sorta like a BUG, but a BUB (back up brightlight)...aarrrghh, I must go attend my AA meeting (Acronyms Anonymous).

Regards,

Fred
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links