Middle of the night.

Middle of the night.

This is a discussion on Middle of the night. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Middle of the night and you hear shots fired. You grab your gun and go outside to investigate. Just then you see a guy coming ...

View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • A. Go back inside and call the cops?

162 65.06%
  • B. Draw on him and yell at him to stop till the cops arrive?

40 16.06%
  • C. Take him out, You know he is not one of your neighbors!

8 3.21%
  • D. Other, please explain.

47 18.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Middle of the night.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

Middle of the night.

Middle of the night and you hear shots fired. You grab your gun and go outside to investigate. Just then you see a guy coming out of your neighbors house. What would you do?

A. Go back inside and call the cops?
    B. Draw on him and yell at him to stop till the cops arrive?
    C. Take him out, You know he is not one of your neighbors!
    D. ?

You can post a poll with this thread, it would be easier to keep track of IMO.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

You can post a poll with this thread, it would be easier to keep track of IMO.
    Good idea

Poll added.

Make sure I got a good description of person exiting neoghbors house.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Senior Moderator
    I would not go outside at all but call the cops and look out of my windows after I had my family safely hunkered down according to our emergency plan.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Go back inside, call cops
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

A.

Without knowing who the person is or the circumstances, I hope no one here chooses C.

I chose "A", but I wouldn't have gone out in the first place. I call the police. If they decide to come over to my place, then the dynamics change.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

CDH
    Shots fired outside?... Don't go out at all.
    Call the police immediately and report that shots have been fired. That should bring them pretty quick.

At the same time, arm yourself and be ready for any kind of forced entry into your home. In that case, there should be more "shots fired" if you're serious about defending your home.

I voted "Other" because I wouldn't have gone outside in the first place to go back inside. I'd never have gone outside. A peek out a window is certainly appropriate, though.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    I have actually done B. Well almost, The little sucker could run fast and they had a get away car around the corner. My neighbors are an older couple and a man broke a side window to their house. I came out armed and the bad guy saw me and ran like hell.

Maybe it was stupid, But what might have happened if I did nothing or waited for the cops.

Just recently my friends son was on the phone with 911. He told the operator that some guys were banging on his door trying to break in. My friends son said that he got his dads shotgun out and was pointing it at the door . If they came in he was going to shoot them. The bad guys left .When the son shouted that he was on the phone with the cops. It took the cops and hour to get there according to his dad.

VIP Member
    Have to go with choice D. Shots fired, I grab my gun and call 911, but not going to go outside. Good way to get yourself shot. You have no idea what is going on. Could be a drunk shooting up the sky, could be 2 gang bangers taking acre of business (each other), could be LEO in a shootout with BG's. Stay inside and stay alert and most importantly, stay safe.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Since folks were hoping no one would pick C, I did for the heck of it. This is Texas after all.

Seriously, if I were outside and could see the person, I would call the police from where I was. Keeping an eye on the guy and what his actions were.

A lot is going to depend on what comes after I see the guy. If the neighbor immediately comes out looking like they have been shot, I would most likely go and render aid to the neighbor. If the neighbor is holding the gun and looking like he just shot at the guy leaving I would tell let them know that I have 911 on the line and either I or him would convey the information to the operator.

There really are too many variables left open in this one to determine exactly what I would do. C is a definate possibilty in certain circumstances. If the neighbor comes out of his/her house and is yelling help he just shot my wife/husband and the guy is coming towards me, how does it go, you betcha C is definately on option.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

D. Move family to opposite end/corner of house or basement, stay inside, call police.

I'm not injecting myself into that situation unless other factors dictate, and they'd have to be some impressive factors for me to exit the house and get involved in a firefight. It would have to be family or friends in dire need before I'd exit the house. Strangers? No. Cold and heartless? I don't care. No one pays our bills but us. If I'm killed, no strangers are going to take care of my family. And if LEO's are outside, they don't need me mucking up the situation and making myself a target.

My family comes first. Period. My neighbors have had the same chance to arm themselves that I have had, and I doubt any of them have. Let them spend their money on their vacations, their boats, whatever they want. But don't expect me to be their savior when things go south and they aren't prepared.

Postscript: I have no neighbors, save one family next to us, that I consider friends. The rest don't seem to give a whatever about us. If those neighbors are being targetted, I might even hand the BG a reload...

Okay, I didn't mean that last line... I guess.

I'd go with D.

I'll explain for my current residence, and aslo for my Real Home,lol.

currently I am living in an apartment near Pittsburgh.

Here.. if I heard shots fired I'm staying Inside (cinderblock walls...the one bonus to this place) and I will have my pistol on me already, as will my wife. I would have her call the police and i'd grab my Mossburg, just in case.

My real Home is at the opposite end of the state; way, way out in the boonies. 375 acres of fields and woods. Nearest neighbor is about 600yd. across from me. After their place, well not much but trees for a long time.
    I hear shots fired out here...it's already personal. I'd have checked things out as best i can with my spotting scope already and called the neighbors. If i thought somthing was awry. Wife would be inside with shotgun and pistol calling the police....who are gonna be awhile.
    I'm going out the back door very quietly with my pistol, the M4 and 2 extra mags and binoculars to investigate (I was a boy scout...be prepared).
    Trying as best i can to remain unseen.
    Get at least a good description of the person, maybe plate numbers?
    Not gonna rule out trying to stop him, but probably not.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Dont go outside at all, just call 911 and be a good witness.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links